Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We all know this already but I still went into shock

Default We all know this already but I still went into shock

when I saw the price of an old faded Rolex 1675/16750 GMT-Master insert over on the VRM.

$4,000

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...Fuchsia+insert

I bought several old faded and NOS 1675 Pepsi and Rootbeer inserts a few years ago for about $150 - $250 a pop. Some have fat fonts, faded colors, and I even have a fuscia one. To think they now have these crazy asking prices of $4,000 for just one insert leaves me gobsmacked.

Pretty much why I've stopped collecting vintage Rolex. Makes the new ones veritable bargains in comparison!

Do only multi-milionaires pay this kind of dosh for this stuff? I suppose it is easier when an inside nudge in the finacial system endlessly fills your pocket? (from ours)

I have got a spare, faded. Sell?

Ian: nouveau riche or shill bidding? It is disgusting. I personally can't see the attraction. Rolex collecting is a bit odd in my opinion. I have an acquaintance that has an Explorer II with the orange pointer (gasp). I see a datejust with an extra hand, he sees $15K.

Hey that's nothing. Also from VRM:

"FS: 1970's Rolex GMT-Master ref.1675 'Blueberry' Bezel Insert

Price: $10,900 + Shipping ~ 3 Day Inspection Period for U.S. Buyers w/Solid References

Feel free to make me an offer, all reasonable offers will be entertained or accepted".

It seems to have reached the point of being almost ridiculous but I have to wonder how much of a difference there is in "asking" prices and actual sales prices. I see a lot of crazy prices for vintage Rolex on some of the forums, but a lot of these watches seem to have been available for years. Maybe I could sell my faded 1680 bezel insert and yellowed crystal that I replaced a while back for enough to purchase the Explorer I that I've had my eye on!
    Tom

I'm still waiting for the £1K vintage aged tritium pearl..

Hi Dave, I've got a bowl full of small satsumas going green full of pips any good? Don't get me on spider or tropical dials and ghost bezels....

depends on whether or not they are vegetarian satsumas or maybe even MilSats!

as for the 5513 spider dials well there are plenty of them on the web..

Quote Originally Posted by springmount View Post
    Do only multi-milionaires pay this kind of dosh for this stuff? I suppose it is easier when an inside nudge in the finacial system endlessly fills your pocket? (from ours)
    You nailed it on the head. These are either multi-millionaires or hedge fund managers or both. At $500,000 to over a $1,000,000 a pop for a RCO 6263 PN Daytona you'd have to be to play with that kind of money.

https://hypebeast.com/2013/11/retros...63-paul-newman

Then it starts to trickle down as the choice pieces become rarer and more out of reach for the masses, the more common stuff starts to rise. Just a few (3-5) years ago most GMT-Masters were still reasonably affordable (excluding the 6542s and early 1675s). Now even 16750s are reaching into the $9,000 range and above.

It's so bad that "everyday" vintage Datejusts and Air-Kings are starting to fetch high dollar prices that were once the domain of the professional models.

Rolex parts have always been golden but as you saw it's sheer gold these days..😳 In 2012 I bought a "Long 5" fat font insert for a submariner and I paid 350 GBP, which I thought was crazy back then.. Long 5 inserts today are $1400-$2000 depending on condition.. I don't know enough about GMT's but fat font GMT inserts and that particular fading is likely in the same league as sub inserts..and the $1000 pearl is coming real fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Hentaiboy View Post
    Hey that's nothing. Also from VRM:

"FS: 1970's Rolex GMT-Master ref.1675 'Blueberry' Bezel Insert

Price: $10,900 + Shipping ~ 3 Day Inspection Period for U.S. Buyers w/Solid References

Feel free to make me an offer, all reasonable offers will be entertained or accepted".
    Genuine "blueberry" or all blue GMT-Master inserts always fetched a premium. Last time I was looking for one (years ago) the asking prices were around $1,000 which at the time was already ridiculous when I could buy a brand new Pepsi insert direct from a Rolex AD or the Rolex service center near me in San Francisco for $75.

Now that $10K asking price is just nuts for 50% more blue paint than the standard Pepsi.

Bear in mind that Rolex only keeps parts on hand for about 20 years and then your on your own. Unlike a number of other Swiss companies which have parts going back a 100 years or they'll make it for you. IWC, Patek and VC

I'm surprised that a company the size of Rolex, doesn't keep parts on hand for older models, but maybe it's done on purpose to keep the collectible hype up on the older models

DON

is that natural that the back side of the insert so pink in color?
    I really dunno much about this kind of madness

Not just Rolex parts either, a rare early Speedmaster insert (plus a newer case) sold for £13k this week and perfect DON inserts can make £3k.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlover View Post
    Not just Rolex parts either, a rare early Speedmaster insert (plus a newer case) sold for £13k this week and perfect DON inserts can make £3k.
    Was just going to say the same, I could not believe someone paying 3k pounds for a DON insert. Its simply crazy when just a few years back, this could be had relatively cheap. Bought my 145.022-69, some years back, its true, for les than 1k, including a spare dial and bezel for another 200 USD and now, just the watch fetches in excess of 6k for some examples.

But this is also true now for vintage Heuers, Enicars and so forth.

Which begs the questions, is it only rich investors and hedge funds buying these? I really don´t think so. Could be true for Rolex but for the other brands its just worldwide demand and interest for vintage pieces because people now have access to information in many sites and will not mention which ones. At the end is simply supply and demand and this will drive many true enthusiasts like us out of the game for many of the pieces we like.

Take a look at prices for 6138-8020 Seiko Pandas. They are actually selling at what used to be considered entry level Rolex prices.

Here's a bit of evidence of how Rolex has become the robber baron of watchmakers. Receipt to rebuild a rusted hulk GMT in 1993. They used to provide a detailed parts list and work performed. The watch was in pieces because I had robbed the dial, hands, bezel etc off to resell. They refused to touch the watch until I sent them all of the parts. Today a service is $846 and you get nothing in the way of receipt beyond a brochure telling you what a great watch you own. They might as well wear an eye patch and carry a boarding cutlass.

Wow! That is amazing. I had no idea that these held value like that.

I had my 1966 GMT Master serviced a few years ago and they gave me back the original faded bezel. I always thought it was in rough shape, but I have to ask... is there any value in my bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by cj415 View Post
    Wow! That is amazing. I had no idea that these held value like that.

I had my 1966 GMT Master serviced a few years ago and they gave me back the original faded bezel. I always thought it was in rough shape, but I have to ask... is there any value in my bezel?

For sure there is. It's worth waay more then your service department replacement no doubt about it.. It has little in the way of physical damage but has the kind of even fading which is all the rage with the vintage Rolex crowd.. I\m not up on GMT insert values but if you go over to the VRF Market you will find your answer.. I'd be inclined to switch it back and keep the service one aside..