Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so what price for the dirty dozen now..

For me: Iwc, jlc, eterna, longines, cyma, grana

Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    I find pictures of the full Dirty Dozen one of the most boring sights in military watch collecting. (Nothing wrong with them individually but collectively: yawn - more like the Tedious Twelve).
    +1.... no offense intended.
    There are only about 4 I really like but I find those all too pricey, and even money aside I would not want to own more than one or at most two.
    I like variety and would lose interest beyond that.

@foilguy: a cultured selection! I would probably assemble the Buren, Grana, Lemania, and Vertex to maintain continuity with the ATP (often forgotten) then add in the Cyma plus one of the top quality examples (IWC/JLC/Longines), but it's not going to happen.

@sytre: yes, exactly and I should quickly emphasise that my remarks are personal opinions and not meant to offend. I acknowledge that many mil watch collectors get pleasure from chasing up the DD and collecting them.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Like the Timor as well but sounds like the hunt for the cyma is on. I read somewhere that 'they' estimate only around 20 or so collectors have the full set but no idea what this estimate is based on?

Probably being a bit thick but is there a dirty dozen for other nations? Was there a military spec for other countries at the same time?

By this time next week I'll have the full set. The IWC I've had for over 10 years. The remaining 11 have all been acquired in the last 12 months. I'm sure I'll like the Longines the best. The Cyma is also nice & still relatively affordable. I suppose the JLC is the most disappointing, although I do like the Cathedral hands.

It's not if you have a mint one. Then they are beautiful, especially the movement. Unfortunately many examples just are not in good condition. I sold this a few years back to a MWRine.

I've never owned the Cyma. I always thought it was slightly bulbous and ugly.

That is very nice indeed, great dial & hands. The movement is really beautiful & probably only bettered by the IWC IMO. I haven't seen the movement in mine but it's been serviced by John Senior so I expect it'll be pretty good.

I suppose I prefer the Stainless Steel cases, it's fine when it looks like this but, as you say, they are often worn & with significant brassing. It also wears a bit smaller than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    It's not if you have a mint one. Then they are beautiful, especially the movement. Unfortunately many examples just are not in good condition. I sold this a few years back to a MWRine.

Actually, it's not that bad ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Klarhmt View Post
    I read somewhere that 'they' estimate only around 20 or so collectors have the full set but no idea what this estimate is based on?
    there are 14 full sets recorded with images on the WWW site plus another 3 or 4 that I know of.

then there are those that are off the radar so I would estimate less than 30 complete sets in total.

the limiting factor is always going to be finding a nice Grana.

hence the dirty (really dislike this descriptor) half dozen makes perfectly good sense.

strangely I'm not a great fan of the WWWs.

I think that I've still got 4 left kicking around but I could easily reduce this to two!

some of the variations are much more interesting to me..

I quite like dirty dozen actually. Currently own 10 out of twelve, BUT, missing two big ones. IWC and Grana. Anyone of those will cost me whole year watch budget in current market...

Only one I'd really like to have is the Longines. The others appeal, but not enough to pull the trigger.