Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so what price for the dirty dozen now..

Question so what price for the dirty dozen now..

originally posted back in 2011 -

Quote Originally Posted by dave
    what price for the dirty dozen NOW ?

in s sterling let's say -

Buren 200 - 400

Cyma 200 - 400

Eterna 400 - 700

Grana 1,800 - 2,500

IWC 1,400 - 2,500

JLC 800 - 1,500

Lemania 400 - 600

Longines 1,000 - 1,500

Omega 500 - 800

Record 150 - 300

Timor 200 - 350

Vertex 250 - 350

please note -

all prices are in GBP.

so the Dirty Dozen, or all twelve WWWs, 7,300 - 10,900

average - 9,100

as a footnote the WWW prices from Ziggy's book in 1996 were -

Buren 60 - 70

Cyma 80 - 100

Eterna 70 - 80

Grana ? ?

IWC 450 - 500

Invicta 50 - 60 ? ? ?

JLC 200 - 250

Lemania 60 - 70

Longines 350 - 400

Omega 100 - 120

Record 50 - 60

Timor 50 - 60

Vertex 60 - 70

and some prices, in old money, from a UTS catalogue circa 1965 -

Buren 6.17.6

Eterna 9.18.6

JLC 9.18.6

Lemania 9.18.6

Record 6.17.6

Timor 6.17.6

Vertex 6.17.6

perhaps I should do this exercise again in five years time..

well five years plus done the road and I'm not even going to go there now..

anyone else fancy throwing some figures around?
    Last edited by dave; 03-06-2017 at 09:54. Reason: general.

About double now. 20-22K ?

I would say min 30K Pound

Adding everything up, I reckon a good set in original condition would be around 25k. Absolutely great examples of each would be 30k plus. I haven't watched this super closely but still I think there's been a real step change in the last few months. Of course people can ask the earth, but sales do seem to be going through.

In my opinion the new jump is really with the IWC, which has gone from 2K ish to 6K ish in what seems like year. The JLC and Longines are now 2 - 2.5, and the Grana 5+, then there has been a (to me a ridiculous) leap in Omegas, to 1200+. But I still think you can find good examples of the others for less than 1000 if you look about - I've seen most recently. But there are loads of chancers out there now asking insane prices for watches that are still easy to find. I see them a bit too often now, 3K+ for a CYMA? So based on what I've said, I completely agree with Reg-life 25K if you are prepared to search about.

Quite a haul then. In a way it's heartening. These super cool watches deserve the recognition. I'm glad I had the chance to get the eterna www again, after having sold a few, years ago. As for me it's a lovely watch. Again a shame current eterna bosses don't seem to value their heritage more completely.

Prices for these have gone through the roof recently, especially for the brand names one (looking at you Omega). We used to be able to get them for like $600 or less?? The Vertex, Timor, Record etc.. one's have at least doubled in price since Hodinkee.

My dad who was a Colour Sergeant in the East Surrey Regiment was issued a JLC WWW in 1944 shortly before D-Day although he did not actually end up in Normandy.My dad told me the regiment officers snapped up the Omega's and IWC's and the JLC was all what was left for the lesser ranks.
    My dad had served 22 years as the war ended in 1945 so he was amongst the first to be demobbed in July 1945 and at the regiments HQ in Kingston,Surrey he returned his kit including the JLC and the storeman asked my dad if he fancied keeping the JLC and it could be struck off kit for the princely sum of 9 pence which equates to about 4 pence today. My dad told me he was not sure but eventually paid the 9 pence and signed the chit and the watch was his.

I still have his JLC and wear it quite often, it was last serviced about 30 years ago which I believe was its first service since 1944 and off course it keeps excellent time and a treasured reminder of my dad.

I never ever remember dad wearing the JLC and I found it just after he died in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by deepeedee View Post
    My dad who was a Colour Sergeant in the East Surrey Regiment was issued a JLC WWW in 1944 shortly before D-Day although he did not actually end up in Normandy.My dad told me the regiment officers snapped up the Omega's and IWC's and the JLC was all what was left for the lesser ranks.
    My dad had served 22 years as the war ended in 1945 so he was amongst the first to be demobbed in July 1945 and at the regiments HQ in Kingston,Surrey he returned his kit including the JLC and the storeman asked my dad if he fancied keeping the JLC and it could be struck off kit for the princely sum of 9 pence which equates to about 4 pence today. My dad told me he was not sure but eventually paid the 9 pence and signed the chit and the watch was his.

I still have his JLC and wear it quite often, it was last serviced about 30 years ago which I believe was its first service since 1944 and off course it keeps excellent time and a treasured reminder of my dad.

I never ever remember dad wearing the JLC and I found it just after he died in 1974.
    Your father was likely issued the watch in 1945 just prior to demob since the WWW's didn't start arriving till later in 1945..

Nice story Deepeedee, thanks for sharing it with us. Of course it makes me quite curious to see pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Hentaiboy View Post
    I'm always skeptical auction house estimates-- they're not exactly neutral and are often grossly inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Your father was likely issued the watch in 1945 just prior to demob since the WWW's didn't start arriving till later in 1945..
    You are possibly quite correct and its so long ago when my dad told me about his JLC but I always assumed it was in 1944. My dad's regiment was on UK Home defence duties during the war and he was based as far afield as Scarpa Flow guarding the Royal Navy Home Fleet and on the south coast from Dover to Pevensey.
    He was also at Dunkirk in 1940 and evacuated just in time.

Just about to start this collection but not sure now! I wonder how many have the full set at these sort of prices.

What would be the advice on the first to go for to keep the enthusiasm to go for the rest? Always fancied the cyma first

if you want an affordable one to wear then I think that the Cyma is the way to go -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...al-of-cyma-www

Quote Originally Posted by Klarhmt View Post
    Just about to start this collection but not sure now! I wonder how many have the full set at these sort of prices.
    I've been collecting them over the last year or so Klarhmt. I've got 7 , but I think the cost of the others means 8 or possibly 9 will be my lot. I wear them all regularly,and the Cyma probably the most. It still looks a modern watch

I would certainly go for the stainless steel cased versions first. The IWC and Grana are very expensive these days, which leaves the Cyma, Longines, and Eterna to choose from (is the Omega stainless steel or something else?). Personally I would go for either the Cyma or Eterna first, then funds allowing would get the Longines second.

the Omega WWW is all stainless steel..

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    the Omega WWW is all stainless steel..
    Thanks Dave !

Time514 has it down as "Some metal alloy. Nickel? SS?" and as I haven't ever handled one I wasn't sure. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Easypeasy View Post
    I've been collecting them over the last year or so Klarhmt. I've got 7 , but I think the cost of the others means 8 or possibly 9 will be my lot. I wear them all regularly,and the Cyma probably the most. It still looks a modern watch
    I've long thought personally that a discerning collector might go for a Dirty Half-Dozen and then stop. But I find pictures of the full Dirty Dozen one of the most boring sights in military watch collecting. (Nothing wrong with them individually but collectively: yawn - more like the Tedious Twelve).

What would be in a Dirty Half-dozen? Most obviously: the Cyma (because everybody knows it's the best one); IWC; JLC; Lemania; Longines; Omega. But there will be cheaper (and less obvious) combinations. I doubt that the Grana would make it on to a short list (which must be a good thing). For the record, I have only ever owned four (and two of those were Timor and Vertex).

Regards,

Martin (isologue)