Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: so what price for the dirty dozen now..

  1. #1
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,317

    Question so what price for the dirty dozen now..

    *
    originally posted back in 2011 -

    Quote Originally Posted by dave
    what price for the dirty dozen NOW ?

    in s sterling let's say -

    Buren 200 - 400

    Cyma 200 - 400

    Eterna 400 - 700

    Grana 1,800 - 2,500

    IWC 1,400 - 2,500

    JLC 800 - 1,500

    Lemania 400 - 600

    Longines 1,000 - 1,500

    Omega 500 - 800

    Record 150 - 300

    Timor 200 - 350

    Vertex 250 - 350


    please note -

    all prices are in GBP.


    so the Dirty Dozen, or all twelve WWWs, 7,300 - 10,900

    average - 9,100


    as a footnote the WWW prices from Ziggy's book in 1996 were -

    Buren 60 - 70

    Cyma 80 - 100

    Eterna 70 - 80

    Grana ? ?

    IWC 450 - 500

    Invicta 50 - 60 ? ? ?

    JLC 200 - 250

    Lemania 60 - 70

    Longines 350 - 400

    Omega 100 - 120

    Record 50 - 60

    Timor 50 - 60

    Vertex 60 - 70


    and some prices, in old money, from a UTS catalogue circa 1965 -

    Buren 6.17.6

    Eterna 9.18.6

    JLC 9.18.6

    Lemania 9.18.6

    Record 6.17.6

    Timor 6.17.6

    Vertex 6.17.6


    perhaps I should do this exercise again in five years time..


    well five years plus done the road and I'm not even going to go there now..

    anyone else fancy throwing some figures around?
    Last edited by dave; 03-06-2017 at 09:54. Reason: general.

  2. #2
    Senior Member foilguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    About double now. 20-22K ?

  3. #3
    Member namib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    HAMBURG GERMANY
    Posts
    477

    Default

    I would say min 30K Pound

  4. #4
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Adding everything up, I reckon a good set in original condition would be around 25k. Absolutely great examples of each would be 30k plus. I haven't watched this super closely but still I think there's been a real step change in the last few months. Of course people can ask the earth, but sales do seem to be going through.

  5. #5

    Default

    In my opinion the new jump is really with the IWC, which has gone from 2K ish to 6K ish in what seems like year. The JLC and Longines are now 2 - 2.5, and the Grana 5+, then there has been a (to me a ridiculous) leap in Omegas, to 1200+. But I still think you can find good examples of the others for less than 1000 if you look about - I've seen most recently. But there are loads of chancers out there now asking insane prices for watches that are still easy to find. I see them a bit too often now, 3K+ for a CYMA? So based on what I've said, I completely agree with Reg-life 25K if you are prepared to search about.

  6. #6
    Senior Member foilguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quite a haul then. In a way it's heartening. These super cool watches deserve the recognition. I'm glad I had the chance to get the eterna www again, after having sold a few, years ago. As for me it's a lovely watch. Again a shame current eterna bosses don't seem to value their heritage more completely.

  7. #7

    Default

    Prices for these have gone through the roof recently, especially for the brand names one (looking at you Omega). We used to be able to get them for like $600 or less?? The Vertex, Timor, Record etc.. one's have at least doubled in price since Hodinkee.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    215

    Default


  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    My dad who was a Colour Sergeant in the East Surrey Regiment was issued a JLC WWW in 1944 shortly before D-Day although he did not actually end up in Normandy.My dad told me the regiment officers snapped up the Omega's and IWC's and the JLC was all what was left for the lesser ranks.
    My dad had served 22 years as the war ended in 1945 so he was amongst the first to be demobbed in July 1945 and at the regiments HQ in Kingston,Surrey he returned his kit including the JLC and the storeman asked my dad if he fancied keeping the JLC and it could be struck off kit for the princely sum of 9 pence which equates to about 4 pence today. My dad told me he was not sure but eventually paid the 9 pence and signed the chit and the watch was his.

    I still have his JLC and wear it quite often, it was last serviced about 30 years ago which I believe was its first service since 1944 and off course it keeps excellent time and a treasured reminder of my dad.

    I never ever remember dad wearing the JLC and I found it just after he died in 1974.

  10. #10
    Moderator lambstew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada/Australia
    Posts
    2,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deepeedee View Post
    My dad who was a Colour Sergeant in the East Surrey Regiment was issued a JLC WWW in 1944 shortly before D-Day although he did not actually end up in Normandy.My dad told me the regiment officers snapped up the Omega's and IWC's and the JLC was all what was left for the lesser ranks.
    My dad had served 22 years as the war ended in 1945 so he was amongst the first to be demobbed in July 1945 and at the regiments HQ in Kingston,Surrey he returned his kit including the JLC and the storeman asked my dad if he fancied keeping the JLC and it could be struck off kit for the princely sum of 9 pence which equates to about 4 pence today. My dad told me he was not sure but eventually paid the 9 pence and signed the chit and the watch was his.

    I still have his JLC and wear it quite often, it was last serviced about 30 years ago which I believe was its first service since 1944 and off course it keeps excellent time and a treasured reminder of my dad.

    I never ever remember dad wearing the JLC and I found it just after he died in 1974.
    Your father was likely issued the watch in 1945 just prior to demob since the WWW's didn't start arriving till later in 1945..

  11. #11
    Member Syrte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Nice story Deepeedee, thanks for sharing it with us. Of course it makes me quite curious to see pictures!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hentaiboy View Post
    I'm always skeptical auction house estimates-- they're not exactly neutral and are often grossly inaccurate.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Your father was likely issued the watch in 1945 just prior to demob since the WWW's didn't start arriving till later in 1945..
    You are possibly quite correct and its so long ago when my dad told me about his JLC but I always assumed it was in 1944. My dad's regiment was on UK Home defence duties during the war and he was based as far afield as Scarpa Flow guarding the Royal Navy Home Fleet and on the south coast from Dover to Pevensey.
    He was also at Dunkirk in 1940 and evacuated just in time.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Just about to start this collection but not sure now! I wonder how many have the full set at these sort of prices.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20

    Default

    What would be the advice on the first to go for to keep the enthusiasm to go for the rest? Always fancied the cyma first

  15. #15
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,317

    Default

    if you want an affordable one to wear then I think that the Cyma is the way to go -

    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...al-of-cyma-www

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klarhmt View Post
    Just about to start this collection but not sure now! I wonder how many have the full set at these sort of prices.
    I've been collecting them over the last year or so Klarhmt. I've got 7 , but I think the cost of the others means 8 or possibly 9 will be my lot. I wear them all regularly,and the Cyma probably the most. It still looks a modern watch

  17. #17
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    526

    Default

    I would certainly go for the stainless steel cased versions first. The IWC and Grana are very expensive these days, which leaves the Cyma, Longines, and Eterna to choose from (is the Omega stainless steel or something else?). Personally I would go for either the Cyma or Eterna first, then funds allowing would get the Longines second.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,317

    Default

    the Omega WWW is all stainless steel..

  19. #19
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    the Omega WWW is all stainless steel..
    Thanks Dave !

    Time514 has it down as "Some metal alloy. Nickel? SS?" and as I haven't ever handled one I wasn't sure. Good to know.

  20. #20
    Member isologue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easypeasy View Post
    I've been collecting them over the last year or so Klarhmt. I've got 7 , but I think the cost of the others means 8 or possibly 9 will be my lot. I wear them all regularly,and the Cyma probably the most. It still looks a modern watch
    I've long thought personally that a discerning collector might go for a Dirty Half-Dozen and then stop. But I find pictures of the full Dirty Dozen one of the most boring sights in military watch collecting. (Nothing wrong with them individually but collectively: yawn - more like the Tedious Twelve).

    What would be in a Dirty Half-dozen? Most obviously: the Cyma (because everybody knows it's the best one); IWC; JLC; Lemania; Longines; Omega. But there will be cheaper (and less obvious) combinations. I doubt that the Grana would make it on to a short list (which must be a good thing). For the record, I have only ever owned four (and two of those were Timor and Vertex).

    Regards,

    Martin (isologue)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •