Thread: OT: Streets of San Francisco Mike Stones watch

Default OT: Streets of San Francisco Mike Stones watch

If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

on a lieutenant's wage a Tudor but a bribe from Mr Big, then a Rolex, we will never know..

When they were filming the streets of San Francisco my Uncle who was a US Marshal at the time who transported prisoners was on a civilian airline transporting a prisoner to San Francisco met Karl Malden who was flying in for the filming of that show he said he was a nice guy.

Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Let's check salaries on whether he could afford a Rolex

Vigil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) was a gold shield detective in Philadelphia and movie was filmed in 1967, but no rank mentioned that I recall

Quote was he made $162.39 per week

What was the cost of a Rolex Sub in the late 60's

Malden was a lt., but couldn't find any info on what this rank made in 1977.

Maybe a bit more than double 10 years later? So say $380 per week? How much was a Sub late 70's?

DON

Bought mine in 1982 for a little under $800.

Late 70's for a Sub?
    $700 range iI believe.....

So 2 weeks salary or so. Easy to do. How many today are buying $8,000 subs on a couple of weeks salary? Many have to save a year or two.

I went 4 years between my two Panerai models from 01 and 05

DON

The price of a ss sub from, say, 1955 relative to average wages and the price of other goods would be an interesting graph . . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

How common were Tudor Subs in the US at that time?
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

They were given to graduates of BUD/S in the late 60's to early 70's.

http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org/eng...t=button_count

Blue for Officers and black for Enlisted men, I can't remember much of Malden's back story other than that he was a Widower. I can't recall whether he had a son killed in Nam or not. That may have been another show. It would be interesting if they were going for realism whether they would go to that much detail and whether that involved Malden wearing his son's tudor sub.

I know Malden and Douglas both went out with members of the SFPD and the show was renowned for it's realism. A little different to Magnum's GMT from his father which was actually a modern watch and not from the Korean era.

Cheers

Pete

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I broke the rule cause I thought this was an interesting thread.
    From the pic it looks like what we have is a two straight lines 5512/5513 as opposed to a 4 lines Tudor. What is interesting though is the fact that he is not wearing the watch on a bracelet but on what looks like a fabric strap. Now if you google image "navy seals Vietnam" you'll see almost all the watches worn being subs on fabric strap so there might be some sort of attempt to say to make a link with this choice of a combo. After all not that many civilian people were wearing their subs on fabric strap back when it was shot
    Thanks for reading. Chris