Thread: Any info on PAF Citizen Divers Watches?

Default Any info on PAF Citizen Divers Watches?

Hi All,

Have an incoming PAF Citizen Divers that is apparently from the 1970's (will post pictures once I have it). Google search states Pakistan Air Force for the model of watch and Wikipedia makes reference to the 'Pakistan Armed Forces'. Got me thinking why would a divers watch be issued to the Air Force? Some research listed a number of ebay sales that referred to the watch as being issued to Pilots which seems strange to me that a divers watch would be issued to Pilots rather than a chronograph.

Here in Singapore the armed forces are referred to as the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) - is it possible these were a generic purchase by the Pakistan Armed Forces and then handed out to Navy/Army Divers?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul.

Wiki says Pakistan Armed Forces was formed in 1947 after independence from UK and comprises of three main arms - Pakistan Army, Pakistan Navy and Pakistan Air Force. Seems quite logical to me. Perhaps the majority of eBay warriors think AF must associate with Air Force and never bothered to question why a divers watch was being issued to pilots of an Air Force. Of course I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_Armed_Forces

Terry

AFAIK the Pakistani Airforce issued them to the Helicopter Pilots.

On the wrist of the pilot in this video you can see one, if you look closely ;-)

https://youtu.be/yPWv8qhCQhc

Hi Paul,

I purchased one of these P.A.F. marked Citizen divers from an eBay seller who had a whole whack of them back in the fall of 2015.

Unfortunately I only saw them too late with the best condition pieces already sold but managed to get his 2nd last example which had issues but nice dial & case but the bezel insert is very worn.

I saved all the pics from his sold auctions as reference and they are all marked in the same lightly engraved manner. I was looking at getting one of these circa 1977 model Citizen divers anyways so the mil watch aspect appealed to me.

The Citizens obviously were an economizing measure after the PAF retired their Omegas etc.. The seller thought he might be getting his hands on more but I guess it didn't happen.. Since then asking prices have gone a little stupid but for an issued mil diver they are still a reasonable offering and collectable as an early Citizen dive watch model regardless of the PAF connection..

Quote Originally Posted by pgm_02 View Post
    Hi All,

Have an incoming PAF Citizen Divers that is apparently from the 1970's (will post pictures once I have it). Google search states Pakistan Air Force for the model of watch and Wikipedia makes reference to the 'Pakistan Armed Forces'. Got me thinking why would a divers watch be issued to the Air Force? Some research listed a number of ebay sales that referred to the watch as being issued to Pilots which seems strange to me that a divers watch would be issued to Pilots rather than a chronograph.

Here in Singapore the armed forces are referred to as the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) - is it possible these were a generic purchase by the Pakistan Armed Forces and then handed out to Navy/Army Divers?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul.
    I have one one of those two.Nice watches. When you get it I would be interested to know the reference number. Mine is a 52-0110.

Philippe

Default Watch pictures

Thanks all for your input! Philippe the reference number is the same as yours, dating the watch puts it as a November 1977 production - in OK condition although it has had a polish at some point which is a shame and a replacement crystal pictures below:

Regards,

Paul.

Default here's another - auction images

CITIZEN 150m Automatic 21 JEWELS date diver watch 8210A 52-0110 PAF 70's

Out of curiosity, which countries are these watches being sold from?

PAF is also an acronym for Philippines Air Force and many a vintage Citizen and Seiko divers come out of Philippines. Philippines Govt would not use a pheon of course.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Andrews View Post
    Out of curiosity, which countries are these watches being sold from?...
    the one that I posted in post #7 originates from Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    the one that I posted in post #7 originates from Hong Kong.
    Thanks Dave.

I'm wearing my sceptic spectacles on these at the moment and I'm curios to see how many of these watches are directly linked to Pakistan.. Other contributions most welcome please.

PAF /|\ marked Citizen Model 52-0110

Hong Kong x 1

Terry

Hi Terry, mine came from a seller here in Singapore.

Thanks Paul.

PAF /|\ marked Citizen Model 52-0110

Hong Kong x 1
    Singapore x 1

Terry

Terry

mine came from a collector in Sweden and another one from a merchant in the US (who also sold PAF Omegas)

Philippe

With a bit of homework and help from Konrad G it appears that the sources of PAF Citizen divers watches are wide spread. My concern was that the PAF markings may have been added in Philippines or Hong Kong and then the watches on sold as genuine PAF divers watches.

Interestingly there are two dial variants (info sourced from the internet). Paul's watch in Post #6 is a Type 1 dial, the watch Dave added in Post #7 is a Type 2 dial.

Type 1 dial has separated letters in CITIZEN and the Date window and 3 marker in one frame.

Type 2 dial has joined up letters in CITIZEN and a separated Date window frame and 3 marker frame. The dial ID numbers below the 6 marker are more visible in the Type 2 dial.

Type 1 Dial

Type 2 Dial

I have listed 6 PAF marked watch serial numbers so far. If anyone would like to email or PM with their PAF marked watch serial number, dial type and where it was sourced I'll add the details to a spreadsheet and see what emerges from it.

Terry

Not issued, but I kind of have a thing for these.....

production date codes..

type 1 dial - 71 - post #6

type 2 dial - 8X - post #7

so at least one year apart.

Hello i have three, all came from USA, two with dial type 1 serial no 71100315 and 71101019, the third has dial type 2 and serial no 80810647
    Regards CR

Default auction images

Vintage Rare Citizen Automatic Diver Military Issue Watch PAF 52-0110

Winning bid: GBP 590.00 - Approximately US $723.40 - 48 bids

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare...p2047675.l2557