Thread: Industrial art

Default Industrial art

I thought some examples of American Industrial Art would be fun. We are lucky to still have these, so might as well enjoy them while we still can:
    First: M1 Garand Rifle Cal 30-06 made from 1937 until mid 1960's about 5.5M total made by Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson and International Harvester. All parts interchange with no fitting required. This example was from DCM bought 1983 for $167. It was a 1944 SA receiver with all new parts and heavy walnut wood. Packaged for foreign sale it was never sold and came to me like this, a new rifle. This rifle would put five shots into a US quarter at 100 yds.

M1 Carbine, semi automatic cal .30 carbine made by Winchester March of 1944. I've had this since the late 60's. These were sold through the NRA for $20US this example is worth just under $2K. 6.5M made in 3 years by Inland Division General Motors, Winchester, National Postal Meter, Underwood Elliot Fisher, IBM, Standard Products, Rockola Music Co, Quality Hardware, Saginaw Gear Div GM (2 plants). Production ended in 1945 with the M2 automatic version. They never made any more after 1945.

Springfield 1903A3 Cal. 30-06 made by Remington Arms in 1943. There was a need for more small arms for training and non combat troops. The 1903A3 was a 1903 Springfield that was modified to make it less expensive to produce. Some milled parts were replaced with stamped steel parts and the rear sight was moved to the rear of the receiver like the SMLE Mark 4. The barrels on some examples (this one) were made with only two grooves to speed production. Remarkably, these showed no loss of accuracy and barrel life improved by many thousands of rounds. On these photos you can see the magazine cut off which is another throwback to the Lee rifle this makes the rifle a single shot while retaining the full magazine for emergencies. This rifle was rebuilt after WW2 and looks almost new. It also was sold in the 60's for $20 or so by the NRA. Accurate and kicks like a mule.

And the drill sergeant...

Nice guns and pics!

I too have a small collection of MILSURP "industrial art" including a Springfield 1903, Eddystone 1917 and an H&R M1 among some others inherited sometime ago. Here's some of my non-US wartime collection in a "Mosin-Nagant" style case made into a coffee table.

msa6712
    Z-7

I have to say that is an extraordinary table. Just great! I always wanted to have a Rolls Royce Merlin with a glass top for a coffee table. That's close, very close.
    I see a SMLE #5 an Arisaka, A Moisin 44 pretty neat.
    D