Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longines COSD Movement Serial Number Project

Default Longines COSD Movement Serial Number Project

If you have a Tuna or Dennison Longines COSD that you feel confident has a correct issued movement in it, please contribute. You can just reply to this thread and I will copy and update the table below.

Hi Seiji, actually its 6900713 for the Tuna (MOD dial), and 6896497 and 6904672 for both Dennison cased watches. I'm keeping the MOD dial and movement in a dennison currently as i prefer the radium dial in the Tuna. However I'm keen to keep the correct dial. Also 6900961 belonged to a dennison cased watch that someone swapped into a Tuna case.

In fact i'd argue that any 'issued' C.O.S.D Tuna would of had a MOD dial, but over the years they have been replaced with Dennison Radium dial replacements.

Record of my 3, just swap the MOD into the Tuna and Radium into the Dennsion.

regarding 6900961. It was then housed in 2188 Tuna case, which was sold as a case only on ebay, through i believe a Malaysian/Singaporean seller.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ight=cosd+2188

Hi Paul, thank you for your help. My intention is not much to do with investigating correctness of watches. I think the history of these watches is going to make that difficult to show with just collecting data on samples. Too much case swapping. I am hopping to see if there were three distinc batches of movements used and estimate original order size. Need more data.

One a different note the MOD dial has always intrigued me. They nearly all look fairly new, and the quality is poor. Though they always seem to be associated with the re-issued watches, with the small crown. I've yet to get my head around them. Someone even conjectured that they had all come from India, and that the dials had been reprinted for resale. That was a line of investigation i wish had been backed up, as one way or the other it would help in understanding the watch.

I hawe 2 Longines COSD. Mov n 6896595 / n 6890115 Longines confirmed delivered in UK .. 1945 tx Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thank you both for your serial numbers. I hope these numbers and others will help collectors quickly identify movements that can not possibility be correct for COSD.

Any More Contributors?

I have one. I will open it up when I get it back from the safe.

I have got one.. will try to open the back this weekend..

Thank you all for contributing. For those watches where you didn't identify which one belongs to whichever case, I used the group picture. Assuming all of these were originally ordered for COSD. There is a wide serial number range. With more sample data, we might see if there were multiple batches. 6,890,xxx 6,896,xxx 6,899,xxx 6,900,xxx 6,904,xxx If these were not ordered in batches and the range of serial numbers are correct...

For this to work, the serial numbers should be verified, best case. Or appears to be from an unaltered watch. If we eventually fill the gaps with good serial numbers, then we
    know the actual batches or the size of the single run.

I also asked Longines if they would provide a photo copy of a page from their archive so I could see if these movements were ordered in batches and see who originally ordered them (person or office). Got declined.

Added to the Metadata - Threads tracking serial numbers, etc. thread

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Raw Data Plotted

Normalized Data

Hi

BOAC T 200/1/27, Dennison case 5452, Dial sterile?, movement serial 6901138, internet year 1944
    images upload
    pc screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by MR.H View Post
    Hi

BOAC T 200/1/27, Dennison case 5452, Dial sterile?, movement serial 6901138, internet year 1944
    images upload
    pc screenshot
    Took me a little while to understand. This is similar to T200/1/6 but with different dial and hands? Thanks for the contribution.

Default Previous posted. Typical response for COSD Archive Extract.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    Took me a little while to understand. This is similar to T200/1/6 but with different dial and hands? Thanks for the contribution.
    Hi

Yes similar to the other B.O.A.C although has a different dial/hand type ... I found the /1/ part of the serial number on B.O.A.C watches relates to the supplier, probably supplier-1 was the MOD/A.M.
    Longines archive report dates the movement 6'901'138 12.68N to Baume & Co on the 2nd of May 1945

Regards
    Mr.H