Thread: My do it yourself Tudor refurbish

Default My do it yourself Tudor refurbish

Today I went to the Rolex dealer to ask how much it would cost to service my 94010 snowflake submariner watch. I was astounded at his estimate. So after careful consideration, I decided to try it myself.

I immediately encountered problems. The case back did not pry open as my previous diver watches from 30 years ago did. The gouges I made in the case and case back looked horrible, but I felt I could buff that out later. Next I went to Wal Mart and sure enough, found a watch case back opening tool. I tried that, and discovered there were no indentations for the tool to connect with, so I wondered What The F*&# now ! I decided I was going to not let this beat me, and submit to A real Rolex dealers gouging, so I busted out a hacksaw, and sawed some grooves on the case back, that the tool could grab, yep, it worked fine.

The movement would not come out, so I just unscrewed the stem and broke it off, figuring I could solder it back together later, cause I am a good solderer. I took the movement to the car wash and zapped it with a high pressure nozzle, It flew out of my hands a couple of times but I was able to get it back before it hit the drain. I wired it to the jeeps antennae to dry it out on my way back home.

I wanted it to be better lubed so as not to have to do this gain, so I gobbed Vaseline all over the newly cleaned movement and set it aside.

Next, I decided to polish the case, and pondered on how best to do this. The only tool I could think of, and guessed that the pro’s would do the same, was to take it to my grinder. I am smart……..so decided to change the grinding wheel to the finer grinding wheel so as not to take off to much metal, as I was told collectors don’t like over polished watches. I began slowly at first, but a couple of times the wheel grabbed the watch out of my hands and slung it across the room, putting dings on it that I now had to grind out also. Careful anyone who tries this at home, the case gets real hot, real fast. I as able to smooth out the case so all the bevels were now gone, and the case was without dings.

I took it to the red rouge wheel and knowing it will get hot, I held it instead with vise grips, and polished away for about two hours, and wa la…….it shined !

The case back gouges where I tried to pry it off earlier were a challenge at first. But I had a fix for this too, cause I am smart. MI got some steel epoxy and slapped it on there. I rand into another challenge here, as later I found the epoxy covered the threads……hmmmm….so I got a dremmel and went around the area, taking out the excess epoxy till I could see the threads again, easy enough right?

I took the newly lubed movement and gently placed it back into the shiny case. I re-inserted the winder thing and soldered it to the place I thought it was originally attached to. The case back went back on, albeit I did have to attach a cheater bar to the case back tool to get it screwed in to the proper depth, but really, it was no sweat.
    All done, it doesn’t wind yet, I still have to heat up the watch on a stove burner to get the new lube up to operating temperature (98.6 degrees) but expect no problems.

The only real issue I have now is a strap will not fit onto the watch. Unknowingly I went a little too far on the case cleanup and ground past the holes on the lugs that the spring bars fit into. For now I will use it as a pocket watch until I can figure out how to re-drill those lug holes without damaging my newly refurbished prized Tudor Snowflake 94010.

I will follow up when I see how much better the accuracy is now that it was cleaned and lubed.

and perhaps you should add a disclaimer..

otherwise you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and just posted it to Cuba -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...00-for-40-Euro

Sounds like a job well done to me, I've got a few pieces that need a good butchering and would look better on a chain than the wrist - just let me know when you start advertising your services? I'll even put a couple of spare grinding disc's in to save you using yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Idol View Post
    Sounds like a job well done...
    Mark - don't know what happened but good to have you back..

Trained in Saigon huh?

For he who asked for pics...........they are coming soon. Seems my camera is busted, but I am smart, I am really into do it yourself now so I can fix a camera nooooooo sweat! Pics coming soon after I fix my camera and I am so into this fixing things myself I am going to start a You Tube channel showing how to do what I do, at home with simple kitchen utensils.

Still waiting since I ask you to show your Snowflake in your show your snowflake thread since we showed ours. If you really own one your a idiot for trying to service a 4000-6000 watch and a fool I am still waiting for your photo's in that show your snowflake thread. If you broke your watch with further damage don't try it on your camera.

Not sure if I have just been dissed......I do not know how to place pics here, but my email is sandman2900@yahoo.com. Let me know and I will email you some pics I took on my phone.
    Why would I lie about having a Tudor 94010. I do, and have since around 1985 I think was my first a 9401/0. Later I got this 94010 around 2001 or somewhere close to that.

I maybe overreacting a bit, but seems this place got unfriendly all of the sudden. My repair refurbish post was in jest, just a little levity, though it would make you laugh is all. I am not a fool.........I am not an idiot.

twas very funny - both watch and camera.. so your phone is still working then?

I thank God I wore my corset, because I think my sides have split...
    Edmund, Blackadder.
    Last edited by dave; 01-29-2017 at 15:38.

yep, phone is fine so far, but I feel all my new experience can fix it when it inevitably goes down.

As it turns out, I am not the first smart person to saw grooves into the case back to accommodate a standard case back removal tool. I just saw a Ross Povey article showing a south African navy tudor submariner with the exact same procedure. So see, I am not an idiot, or a fool............I am ahead of my time.