Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RM MILITARY UTILITY WATCH STRAP

so these aren't actually watch straps they're just general purpose utility straps?

I seem to recall beds ("cot, folding") coming with these around them!
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry62 View Post
    Pity the price has been hiked so quickly. They do smell a bit musty...
    try this - put the strap into a suitable tupperware container, or similar, and then liberally sprinkle the strap with bicarbonate of soda, then put the lid on and leave for a few days.

that should do the trick..

a few hundred pounds worth here -

sorry but the more that I think about these prices the more that I think that someone is really taking the p#%* here now.

they are only smelly NOS utility straps!

what's the RM and Falklands provenance other than the 82 date code?

perhaps I will have to delete myself now!

If it helps Dave I used a different type of utility strap as a watch strap when the bracelet on a civvi 5513 broke on exercise. I'm sure lots of other people had the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    sorry but the more that I think about these prices the more that I think that someone is really taking the p#%* here now.

they are only smelly NOS utility straps!

what's the RM and Falklands provenance other than the 82 date code?

perhaps I will have to delete myself now!
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

They do stink and they are not the most comfortable strap...
    A pheonix NATO is much better quality
    Definitely not worth 30 quid...

Default pristine

according to insta-thingy..

Black ops RM straps dated 82 coming soon...

if you want one of the original utility straps without smudged writing they are now 39.99..

http://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/...ty-watch-strap

doesn't mention the stinkiness!

makes those 9.99 ones now seem like a real bargain.
    Last edited by dave; 02-21-2017 at 16:09. Reason: footnote.

Default Reminds me of another RM utlity strap...

...James may recall them from about 10 years ago. Thicker green nylon strap material (like the CWC strap), 20mm, similar in basic design to a G10 strap with 2 strapholders and a buckle, all of SS, extremely long (I had to cut mine to use it). They were made in the RM parachute riggers shop out of whatever they had available. They were actually used to attach mine detection equipment to the arm of a diver; multiple straps used to secure the equipment. Strap buckle holes burned into the strap, probably using a soldering iron. Still have mine in my strap drawer.

Mahalo,

Andy

What I heard was that because of the many layers of cold weather clothing during the Falklands Campaign, RM's improvised extended length watch straps from other kit. The RM Quick Release Arctic Bergen Drop Belt apparently came with extra NSN 8165-99-132-4555 belt attachment, straps so that it could also be attached to the SAS Bergen. The SAS arctic Bergen was designed without a belt, and placed the load squarely on the shoulders. I would think it a natural field expedient re-purpose that perhaps was a Falklands "tradition", and was widely adopted at that time. A response from Silverman's, from my inquiry, Falklands era RM's who frequent their shop typically are sporting their old straps. There seems to be a high demand for them, possibly because the old war relics need a fresh replacement by those Falklands' veterans "in the know".

Silverman' web site has pictures of a Falkland era RM arctic Bergen with a padded belt, NSN, (last four digits): "4553", and one on EBay has: "4554", both show the Aerolex Ltd. style buckle attachment. My NSN search for the "4555", sold by Silvermans, indicates strap, belt attach.

I purchased one of these for my CWC SBS because: 1) it's 20mm, 2) it's impossible to find an over sized strap for a wristwatch, 3) its affiliated with the RM kit dated from the Falklands, 4) and I like that musty nylon smell.

Having served in the U.S. Marines for 30 years, I just have to have Marine related stuff, even if it's Royal Marine Commando gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    according to insta-thingy..

if you want one of the original utility straps without smudged writing they are now 39.99..

http://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/...ty-watch-strap

doesn't mention the stinkiness!

makes those 9.99 ones now seem like a real bargain.

So called "RM MILITARY FALKLANDS ISSUE STRAP - BLACK" seem to be in stock now, priced at 29.99. I won't be adding any of those to my collection.

Have to agree I rather like the musty smell of the strap, reminds me of my old Prep school.

Quote Originally Posted by SuttonMatthew View Post
    What I heard was that because of the many layers of cold weather clothing during the Falklands Campaign, RM's improvised extended length watch straps from other kit.
    Wouldn't a requirement for a watch strap that fits over many layers of cold weather clothing have already come to light prior to this given the Royal Marine's mobilisation role in Norway? Have you got a source for "what you heard"?

I don't see the point since the standard strap has more than enough length to fit over layers.. As far as Silverman's goes.. they are eating up their own hype..

now three colours are available - black, green and olive, plus IR reflective..

Ha! Just in case you're wearing your nods (NVGs) and need to be seen, depend on the watch strap! I think some SAS and specialized helo units may have had NVGs back during the Falklands, perhaps this is stock meant for them?

On the issue of old straps I have one of these on my Smiths W10.
    Perhaps someone can shed some light on their design and period of issue?
    Very comfortable to wear, only issue is they are limited to wrists up to 7.5 inches.
    http://www.britishmilitarywatches.co...17mmstrap.html

Quote Originally Posted by stv66 View Post
    On the issue of old straps I have one of these on my Smiths W10.
    Perhaps someone can shed some light on their design and period of issue?
    Very comfortable to wear, only issue is they are limited to wrists up to 7.5 inches.
    http://www.britishmilitarywatches.co...17mmstrap.html
    Here is an image