Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RM MILITARY UTILITY WATCH STRAP

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    Never seen those used on a watch before, what a great idea. BTW it is a utility strap but not a watch strap
    throw the words Royal Marines, Falklands and watch into a pot and with a bit of clever marketing turn an old strap, which would be about a quid at my local army surplus store, into one now costing a tenner..

Quote Originally Posted by DW9000 View Post
    CWC is now selling "french military" watch straps that look the ones made by Ericka...

they are only parachute straps converted to watch strap...
    yes, I saw that too - however if you look closely the stitching is quite different.

another marketing ploy.

The French straps don't look terribly secure
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    The French straps don't look terribly secure
    Ian P has done a good review on some of seikosthlm's MN straps here -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...at-quot-straps

I am wearing one of seikosthlm's now with a 5512. I have used the strap quite a lot since receiving it and have had no problems with it slipping, feeling loose or not secure enough. The fittings are all pretty tight and fit together well.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Quote Originally Posted by DW9000 View Post
    CWC is now selling "french military" watch straps that look the ones made by Ericka.

http://www.erikasoriginals.com/

They say them to be "Genuine French Marine Nationale military watch strap " but they are only parachute straps converted to watch strap…

Actually nice looking straps but not issued ones…

I have Erika straps on my Pelagos and DeepSea , the Erika straps have a better finished stitching ( care for details).

Thanks James

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Another quick look at Aerolex Limited (buckle manufacturer) of Strap Utility NSN 8465-99-132-4555
    show that some of the directors were linked to Irvin-GQ Limited, the famous parachute manufacturer
    and Airborne Systems Limited, also into parachutes and airborne delivery systems. So the origin of the
    strap may have had something to do with a parachute/airborne application.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Andrews View Post
    So the origin of the
    strap may have had something to do with a parachute/airborne application

Terry
    Like for the french "MN" straps...
    Instagram : rustikcuriositas

Mine arrived today, no way near a comfortable as a standard NATO but its a change.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Cheers

John (sinnlover)

Even a broken watch is accurate twice a day!

Niclas' NDC straps are all made from recycled issued Clichy reserve parachute bags. March 1974 is the date stamp on the bags (I bought a few from him to make watch rolls)... They are as close as you can get to a real vintage one. I also have access to a real vintage strap locally and I can say even the stitching is exactly like the orginal.. Cottage industry in feel and in exacution.

PM me your email and I can send photos of the bags and their date stamps.

Mine arrived yesterday

How much are these utility / watch straps.

Yes. The french NDC ones that CWC sells are converted parachute straps (mounted with a connector loop and welded ends) straight out of the NOS bag. The white stitching is original from the factory and not a later choice of design. The same kind that I had. Definately the genuine article.

Its mounted with the same hardware the way I believe MN soldiers mounted it on their Tudors. The only difference being the welded ends.

The friction system is very secure but can agree that new remakes and nato versions can look more fancy and colourful. They were just not for me. Thats why me and my friend made it our goal to source the genuine strap and hardware.

There is also the onepiece loop from a french surplus store. Pretty nice solution as well.
    Also cool that Tudor made a remake of it for the Bronze imo.

Ianp s photo essay here.
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...at-quot-straps

Not difficult to mount and build this yourself if you get the strap and connector loop. Feel free to ask.

I also ordered a couple of British 82 straps and are looking forward to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry62 View Post
    did I miss the party? it's now listed at 29.99... wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring13 View Post
    did I miss the party? it's now listed at 29.99... wut?
    You and me both, I was actually tempted at current price and sadly missed this thread, put me off now knowing they've just tripled in price. I always seem to miss the train.

I thought you guys were getting the prices confused between the MN and utility ones. I can now see that they have just jacked the price up!

I got mine the other day. It's good for a bit of a change but I wouldn't worry if you don't get one. Alternatively you can buy mine for 28.99

there are now two options..

Pity the price has been hiked so quickly. They do smell a bit musty, but have had mine on a '83 CWC diver all week and its very comfortable.

They have also posted a photo on instagram of a stack of the date stamped '82 straps.