Thread: big job lot of Smiths W10 parts . . .

Default big job lot of Smiths W10 parts . . .

"Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Not me, but that looks like a nice haul. If the buyer can make 5-6 top-condition watches from the lot, then he will have his money back (at todays strong prices for W10s). Even if it takes 10 average-condition watches to recoup the investment, that still leaves a lot of valuable spare parts. Nice lot for someone!

It's a hell of a lot of work though. The special balances with blue hairsprings look like they'll be knackered, judging by how they've been stored, and that will be the most difficult part to acquire in good condition.

Guessing a watch repairer has bought the lot though. Still quite a lot of dough.

I always wonder how these things get to those places?

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    It's a hell of a lot of work though. The special balances with blue hairsprings look like they'll be knackered, judging by how they've been stored, and that will be the most difficult part to acquire in good condition.
    It was the lack of hands that put me off. For movements you could probably just rob old Astrals -- when gold prices were high 4 or 5 years ago there were loads of uncased Smiths movements for sale; now the watches are worth more than the scrap gold cases.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Default from Denmark - auction images

Vintage Smiths Military Miltäruhr Watch W10 Spare Parts Ersatzteile Bastler

Closed: 5763.76 USD - Bid Count: 38

Looks like crowns are going to be needed too. They are hard to source iirc. And I'm hoping those dials have all got their feet -- one of them seems to have them on the front at least!

I watched it end with a view to going after them. Was quite shocked by how much they sold for. As Roddy said, it's going to be a heck of a lot of work. What about the B-uhr stuff from the same seller. Anyone here ? I bid but was way off.

Default same seller - auction images

Beobachtungsuhr B-uhr Wempe Luftwaffe Pilot Watch Spareparts Ersatzteile Bastler

Closed: 2068.57 USD - Bid Count: 10

!! from Denmark ?? what on earth is such a lot of Smith parts doing in Denmark, I would like to know the story behind that. It isn't something that has been discussed on the danish watch forum AFAIK.

/L

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I got them, there were 24 cases & 10 spare movements, sold by the son of a watchmaker they had been in storage for a while & looks like what was left over from a much larger lot of Smiths ... Most of the good dials have missing feet & will probably be the biggest problem, I already had the crown & stems + half the hands needed (lots of spare hour hands if anyone has minutes to trade!) All the base plates are in good condition but not all the movement parts are there ..... will probably be a few years before I get them all fixed, but not a bad deal at roughly £200 per project watch

Regards
    Mr.H