Thread: Montana winter

Default Montana winter

Winter kind of nice in Winter in Montana the tourist are gone and hunting season is I think over so the animals are out.

Some white tail deer I got a photo of when it was snowing

Some antelope and elk never knew they hung out together this was across the road from my house.

The Madison river

Between Ennis and Virginia city you can see the valley floor

This is called Fan mountain due to the shape of the mountain. Was testing my new camera out thought I would show a few photo's.

I was up in that country a few years back. Went to Glacier NP and Yellowstone. It is neat up there. I really liked Salmon ID.
    D

Some beautiful shots there River Rat, Montana looks to be a wonderful place to live. We're having a truly awful winter this year; I don't think that the thermometer has been below -10C yet but instead has been hovering around 0C or thereabouts since the start of December. If we do get some properly decent winter weather before spring arrives, I'll try to remember to upload some suitably snowy pics of "our" lake, just west of Stockholm.
    /Kristian.

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Some beautiful shots there River Rat, Montana looks to be a wonderful place to live. We're having a truly awful winter this year; I don't think that the thermometer has been below -10C yet but instead has been hovering around 0C or thereabouts since the start of December. If we do get some properly decent winter weather before spring arrives, I'll try to remember to upload some suitably snowy pics of "our" lake, just west of Stockholm.
    /Kristian.
    It get's below zero in MT also were I live we got a micro climate like I was 20 miles from home closer to yellow stone and it was snowing but by my house thats on the valley floor no snow and 10-15 degree's warmer. At night were it get's cold once this winter it got 30 below zero but lately in the 20-30's above zero below zero weather stays a week and it gone. We also have a lake walking distance from the house it's frozen solid right now.
    Last edited by river rat; 01-23-2017 at 04:35.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I was up in that country a few years back. Went to Glacier NP and Yellowstone. It is neat up there. I really liked Salmon ID.
    D
    Thinking of going to Yellow Stone in winter they have snow coach tours into the park in winter or I think snowmobile tours groups that take you in I think they use to allow you on your own go into the park with snowmobiles but I think they stopped that. Mite be a good way to see the park in winter.
    http://yellowstoneguides.com/yellows...-winter-tours/
    This mite be cool it's on my bucket list.

Beautiful area. Hope to do some fishing up there soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mccoy View Post
    Beautiful area. Hope to do some fishing up there soon....
    Ten years ago I was on holiday from England and staying with friend in Twin-Falls ID. He organised a trip and took us up to Yellowstone, I started fishing in Yellowstone Lake and never got a bite, I gave up in disgust and declared "There's no fish in there" , as I said it an Eagle swooped down and took a fish right in front of me . We spent the night in Cody Wyoming, visited the Gun Museum, well worth a visit. Then drove up to Montana and stopped for Coffee and a Burger in Cooke City, Pop just over 100. We were warned if we didn't leave straightaway we would be snowed in so we drove East and the Snow did start to fall heavily. We stopped in a Motel on the banks of a river at Macks Landing which was closed for the winter but when the owner heard our English Voices he opened up just for us and made a cup of Tea for the 4 of us, very good of him and his wife. I did catch several Trout in the morning just outside our Motel Room. In all a marvellous trip.

So River Rat....How about a Montana Spring, or are we not there yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mccoy View Post
    So River Rat....How about a Montana Spring, or are we not there yet???
    Not yet snowed last night it melted all ready. Last week it rained I thought spring was here but that snow changed my mind.