Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newmark 6BB chronograph (reissue)

Am I right in thinking / remembering that Eddie Platts got NATO stock code nos. for some of his watches? Not that they ever were issued but they could be and were legitimately entitled to use / have the stores ref on the back.

Might be worth dropping him a line and seeing how he went about doing that.

Good luck with the project!
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I wonder if some modern quartz movements have equivalently sized mechanical versions. For example, some ETA quartz can be directly subbed for some ETA mechanicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I love my CWC reissue. Very solid build quality, a pleasure to wind and use, and even though I loved all my genuine Fab Four watches I will say that I don't miss the vintage watch issues that sometimes came with them. I bought my CWC before they jacked the price up on them, so for me it was a great value. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Myron
    To me as long as a vintage one is serviced after getting it you have no issues. It seems a lot don't service there watches they buy them and wear them for a while and then flip them and never know the service history so the next guy got to deal with it. I see that a lot with some of the stuff I buy and is why I get them serviced before I wear them on a regular bases. I got a vintage Sinn chronograph I bought last year the seller never serviced it and don't know the last time I was the sweep hand don't line up it's the next one I will get serviced and will not wear it until it's serviced. I once bought a vintage Hamilton 940 pocket watch when new to collecting watches wound it before having a watchmaker check it out pop went the main spring so from then on every watch I buy gets checked out and serviced if needed then no issues. I never like remakes of vintage tried that with a MK II blackwater sold it and got a real Benrus Type II getting them serviced it the trick to keeping them running great with out problems.

How can I get on the mailing list. Sounds like the perfect everyday beater watch.

Just received this email from Ewan, all sounding good and I for one am happy with the movement choice. The loss of a running second hand on a quartz chrono doesn't bother me in the slightest and relieved he didn't decide to increase the case size. Can't wait for some prototype images to surface.

Anyway...

Dear all

Firstly, a big thankyou to you all for showing an interest in the project. As with many (most!) projects of this kind, delays are almost inevitable. In the case of the 6BB, it is quite literally the case that has caused delay due to our limited access to an original watch and the subsequent re-drafting that has taken place. It has been my quest for perfection that has played more than a passing part in the time it has taken to get to this stage!

Suffice to say, I am hugely pleased to announce that I have now signed off the drawings for the watch case, crystal, crown and chronograph pushers. In this regard we have come as close as we think possible to the original watch, retaining the spirit of the 1980 original amidst the constraints of using a modern movement. This leads me to the movement itself – from the outset, I discounted the idea of using a mechanical movement due to potential reliability issues and/or cost issues. I wanted to make the Newmark affordable and reliable at the same time; a watch to wear without worry so to speak.

I started off by selecting an ISA calibre – the 8371B to be precise; this was scrapped for two reasons, the first being the precarious financial state of ISA (who have I believe now ceased trading) and the second being the behaviour of the chronograph minutes hand with the chronograph running (it demonstrated a jitter which I wasn’t comfortable with). So, I moved to the Miyota 6S21 with a 1/4 second chronograph seconds hand and 30 minute counter – not ideal at 4bps and no mecha arrangement for chronograph resetting. Rejecting the 6S21 was decided for me in the end quite simply because the movement is too big; we would have had to upscale the watch case to some 42mm for it to be feasible and for me this was totally out of the question.

So to the movement which has been selected and the Seiko VK64 mecha-quartz. Use of this movement has allowed us to retain the original case size, it has the benefit of a 1/5 second chronograph seconds hand and of course the mechanical engagement and disengagement of the chronograph. The compromise (if it is indeed so) here is instead of a running seconds hand we have a 24hr hand on the 3 o’clock sub-dial. I thought long and hard about this and decided that the benefits of the VK64 far outweigh the lack of a running seconds hand. In fact, there is no outward indication that this is a quartz movement. So, the VK64 it is and I feel comfortable and confident in this choice.

At present I am working on the final adjustments to the dial and hands and these should be finalised within the next few days, we are not using stock hands, we are reproducing the design of the original. Thus, this update is also to let you know therefore that working prototypes are now underway. In the interim, there will be updated renders which I will share with you as I receive them.

I do hope that this little update is useful for you and I would be really grateful for any of you to spread the word about the project. I would love to carry the Newmark name forward on other watches but will only be able to do so if the 6BB is a success.

Thanks again and best wishes

Ewan

I also got the email and I am glad to say the choice of movement has swayed me back in to the definite buying camp.

I had been put off by the choice of Quartz movement.
    But Mecha Quartz sounds good to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I also got the email and I am glad to say the choice of movement has swayed me back in to the definite buying camp.

I had been put off by the choice of Quartz movement.
    But Mecha Quartz sounds good to me.

John
    I had exactly the same turnaround today when I got the update from Ewan. Sounding like a cool project!

Myron

All I can say is, SiGN ME THE !!! UP.. can't remember the last time something like this got the juices flowing..👍🏻

Does anyone know what the probable price will be?

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

sorry Lee but I couldn't help myself; classic sock drift with knobbly knees edited out.
    OK, I'll take a pair!

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    All I can say is, SiGN ME THE !!! UP.. can't remember the last time something like this got the juices flowing..👍🏻
    Completely agree, really looking forward to the release of this one!

Mike

Hi to everyone.
    I've just been catching up on this thread and must say the idea of a Re-edition of the Newmark 6BB has really sparked my interest. Definitely something I'd be very interested in finding out more about.
    Does anyone know if there are any images available or more details on dimensions, specification, price, etc. ? Is there a launch date yet ? Hopefully, as it's not a mechanical movement it will be offered at an affordable price.
    I know the original Newmark 6BB was only issued to the RAF for a very short period of time but does anyone know who it was actually issued to ? There's obviously different categories of Flying and I just wondered if it was intended for anything specifically ??
    I wonder what appeal the watch will have. Apart from the obvious Watch enthusiast I wonder if it might appeal to a wider market ?
    Anyway, can't wait to get some more detailed information about it
    Robbo

Default update

this is a copy of the latest email that has been sent out -

Newmark 6BB Re-Edition Update

Hi all
    I thought it was about time that I sent out a reasonably accurate frontal render of what we are producing in terms of the Newmark 6BB. What you see below is what we have been able to achieve given certain restraints within which we have had to work. The render is of course in 2D and slightly ‘robotic’ so we don’t have the reflections and distortions of perspective that would be evident in a photograph. As you will see, the case will be of all brushed finish with polished pushers; the crown will be polished on the outer face only.

At present we are deciding on the straps which will be supplied with the 6BB which obviously won’t be two-piece (!). Lots to do at the moment and I would really appreciate your comments on the image that you see below. I think that we have got things pretty close without the watch becoming unwieldy and I hope you agree. As mentioned in my last e-mail, prototypes are in progress now and there’s nothing like having a watch in hand to really get the feel for things. Plus of course, the prototypes will have crystals fitted – not like this render!

Before I sign off, thanks again to a growing list of followers. I’m hoping that what you see here, you like.

Best wishes
    Ewan

Last edited by dave; 05-07-2017 at 04:37. Reason: general.

Default here's a larger image of the above

Default and here's an original 1980 issue one for comparison

the above image belongs to Military Watch Buyer.

I would really appreciate your comments on the image that you see...
    some general observations but not criticisms..

no country of origin on the dial.

the fixed bars appear to be of a larger diameter -

thus will the thicker NATO straps still have enough gap to thread through?

what's the lug width? usually to fit a 20mm strap is ideal.

would short markers at 1, 3, 5, 7 etc on the 24hr sub register balance the dial better?
    Last edited by dave; 05-08-2017 at 02:59. Reason: grammar.

Isn't 4 different in those two examples?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pietras View Post
    Isn't 4 different in those two examples?
    yes, all the number fonts are very slightly different but I think that the dial captures the essence of the original whilst bringing it into the modern world.

one of my pet hates is sapphire smudge so I was very pleased to read that a plexi crystal was to be used.

Just got this from Ewan:

Hi all

Thank you to those who have responded to the previous update, much appreciated.

One or two questions have popped up on MWR and by e-mail which I’d like to address as best I can, in no particular order:

1. The 24hr Dial: one or two people suggested extra markings (at one hour intervals) to divide the dial up a little more and to make it a little more like the 60 minute dial. When designing the dial I did indeed experiment a little before settling (for now) on what you have seen. My idea was to ensure that the 24hr dial was quite distinct as a non-chrono dial so to speak. At actual size, the current design looks ok I feel but I’ll certainly make a note.

2. Lug Bars: the render certainly makes them look fat! They will be 1.8mm in diameter (thus, a little thicker than the originals) as I want them to be strong. The distance on the technical drawings between the bars and the case is itself 1.8mm – allowing for most NATO and ZULU (and one piece leather too).

3. Lug Width: 20mm

4. Crown Design: the render doesn’t show the crown in its best light! I have designed it to be close to the original, the drawing below perhaps put this across better than the render.

5. Water Resistance: I have specified 50m for this.

6. Height: from bottom of case back to top of crystal the specification is 12.35mm – within this height I have twiddled with things to make the side profile as pleasing as possible. Within this depth I have had to allow for a movement with a stem that is lower in the movement than that of the original. Thus, in profile, the crown sits lower than the 7733 equipped 6BBs. To negate this slightly, I have increased the diameter of the crown up to 7.5mm which has helped; again, at actual size, it looks acceptable for me and I am happy with the result.

7. Country of origin on Dial: a good one! The 6BB is not being made in Switzerland, or England for that matter; so I’m happy to leave the bottom of the dial blank in this regard!

8. Price: an even better one! As we all know, things can change etc. etc. over the course of a project such as this, however, what I would say at this point is that my target is around the GBP£300 mark.

9. Strap(s): my plan is to supply the 6BB with two NATO straps in RAF pattern; it would be nice to include a one-piece leather too.

So, I hope that the above is useful information at this point. See below for renders and the crown drawing mentioned above. I’m more than happy to answer questions if I can so do please get in touch. I will of course update you as we go and in the meantime, as always, thanks to you all.

Best wishes

Ewan