Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newmark 6BB chronograph (reissue)

Hi all

The Newmark project is being undertaken by myself and my wife; I have received a few e-mails about it to which I have replied with a little bit of information, perhaps some of that will filter through here. Out of respect for MWR I won't use the forum to discuss or promote things but am happy to do so by e-mail. The website will evolve with running commentary so to speak and shortly, there will be a mailing list.

We're trying to do things as right as possible! Some of you might recognise my name; I have written some quite extensive watch reviews in the past but when the time comes, it'll have to be someone else who reviews this one!

Best wishes

Ewan

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w View Post
    Hi all

The Newmark project is being undertaken by myself and my wife; I have received a few e-mails about it to which I have replied with a little bit of information, perhaps some of that will filter through here. Out of respect for MWR I won't use the forum to discuss or promote things but am happy to do so by e-mail. The website will evolve with running commentary so to speak and shortly, there will be a mailing list.

We're trying to do things as right as possible! Some of you might recognise my name; I have written some quite extensive watch reviews in the past but when the time comes, it'll have to be someone else who reviews this one!

Best wishes

Ewan
    Hi Ewan,

I certainly recognize your name and have enjoyed your many and excellent watch reviews over the years. I'm excited that it's you behind this Newmark project. I wish you the best success with it. I'd like my name added to your email list, so I'll get in touch via your website. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Myron

i hear movement will be quartz.............rather disappointing if correct

sure! we live in the modern world...............so why not make a modern watch

Mark L

Quote Originally Posted by howzabowser View Post
    i hear movement will be quartz.............rather disappointing if correct

sure! we live in the modern world...............so why not make a modern watch

Mark L
    Where did you hear this? I sent an email yesterday(or the day before), not received a reply yet though.

ewan replied today..............stating quartz would be employed

seagull only manually wound chrono at price point rejected because of reliability issues...

Mark L

That's more than a bit disappointing.
    I don't like Quartz chronographs in any form.
    I have even tried the mechaquartz versions as well, they never have the same feel as a mechanical chronograph.
    It's shame but I can understand why Quartz is the front runner for the movement.
    I wish the team all the best with their endeavour.

Received the email from Ewan aswell now, nice informative email it is too.

I can understand the idea of going quartz, I must admit with this in mind I wouldn't class it as a reissue as such, more a remake or homage(not criticising here, just how I see it). I already own the CWC reissue so have that base covered and wouldn't be against a quartz, I think I might prefer this to a Seagul and sadly can see that a Swiss chrono would push the price too high.

I had the same response re: quartz

In the name of keeping the project affordable I can see why and for other reasons. Having a quartz chrono isn't as obvious as a regular sweep second watch at least and I own the Bulova Moon watch replica that I like. Quartz BAF CWC chrono's exist and I liked the one I owned because the cosmetic details felt correct.. If Ewen gets the cosmetics right I suspect it will be a nice looking model which hopefully won't cost $1000's..

Default Newmark 6BB

also received a very informative email from Ewan this afternoon.

the gist of which is as follows -

it will be as close as possible aesthetically to the original -

although very much still a work in progress

fixed bars

plexi crystal

quartz movement

brushed case finish

no military markings to the case back -

only the Newmark name and a serial number/year

water resistance of 50m

here's wishing the project well and can't wait to see the end result..

for those of you who don't know what we are talking about here's a couple of images of a Newmark 6BB military chronograph that was originally issued to the Royal Air Force in 1980 -

Quote Originally Posted by Strela View Post
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Ewan told me he was targeting the watch to be "considerably less than the CWC Quartz chrono". If so, I think it will be a great grab-n-go watch.

The challenge will be to get a quartz module which will have the sub-second counter positions correctly spaced apart..

while the positive 'clunk' of a mechanical chrono resetting is rewarding if quartz is good enough for MOD

.........it's good enough for myself

Mark L

Quote Originally Posted by simonk View Post
    http://statuslite.com/domain/newmarkwatchcompany.com

The domain name owner is in Bishops Cleeve, just a coincidence I guess but the former home town of Smiths.

Yes, well, hmmm...

A Newmark - Smiths - Bishops Cleeve - watch connection?

The mischievous among us could fabricate a tenuous link as it is not well known that Smiths owned Newmark... however it would be quite fallacious!

Yes, both Smiths and Newmark began as jewellers (1850 and 1875 respectively); both had family owned retail watch shops (Smiths until 1929; Newmark had Louis Braham); both had watch-making subsidiaries (Smiths 'Empire'/Ingersoll Anglo-Celtic; Newmark's Carbel Watch, H Golay & Son, Prestige Watch and D D Rothschild Ltd... and later Avia (UK)); both had watch factories set up the in the late 1940s (Ystradgynlais and Croydon Airport) to produce a budget pin-pallet watch under government sponsorship). Both supplied military watches (Smiths DeLuxe/Astral; Newmark's Hamilton based Valjoux chronograph). Both expanded into aviation (Smiths in 1913 in their own right, Newmark in 1956 as UK licensees of Lear-Siegler of the USA's helicopter stabiliser) and industrial instruments.

However, Newmark stopped making watches in 1960 and thereafter only marketed watches primarily under their Avia International UK license); most of their watch division businesses went into liquidation in 1978: Smiths ended Astral production in 1971 and pulled out in 1980. Then in 1987 Smiths acquired Lear-Seigler of the USA and thus developed a close working relationship with Louis Newmark Aviation until 1989 when, facing insolvency, Newmark's aviation interests were bought by Smiths to become SI Aerospace & Defence Systems Newmark... based at Croydon (well, New Addington) later at Bishops Cleeve Cheltenham (likely at times using the old CH.2 watch factory!) while Newmark's remnant watch interests (Avia International UK license etc) were sold or put into receivership in 1995 followed by their non-aviation (instruments, training aids etc) businesses in 1995. Yes, there is much more to Smiths than watches. So:

A Newmark - Smiths - Bishops Cleeve - watch connection? No! But I'll wish the new venture well, though I would not buy it with quartz movement.

Barry

Quartz is fine by me, although in an ideal world there'd be two models: quartz and mechanical at two different price points. Maybe in the future?

The only other thing I'd want would be "aged" lume - vanilla tritium is one of my favourite things and while I generally prefer white / silver / light dials the sight of printed yellowy plots and markers on a matte black background is always a joy.

Good luck Ewan!
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

The lume on the Newmarks is green not vanilla, well mine is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Idol View Post
    The lume on the Newmarks is green not vanilla, well mine is anyway.
    I think Revo is using the above image lume as an example..

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Ewan told me he was targeting the watch to be "considerably less than the CWC Quartz chrono". If so, I think it will be a great grab-n-go watch.
    This is very interesting, I take it he means this one...

http://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/...onograph-watch

If it is indeed considerably less than 449.00 then that sounds good to me. If it's good quality & looks the part I should be in for a nice care free beater.

As Lambstew mentioned at least a quartz chrono isn't such a spoiler due to running seconds being on the subdial, far less noticeable when they're missing the markers which is my main quartz hate.

ewan - we can be a hard bunch to please and you'll never be able to please everyone..

don't see a problem with a quartz movement - in fact I think that it's the best option.

if these were being supplied to the MoD today they would indeed be quartz.

the problem will be finding a good quality quartz movement to fit the dial configuration.

they will however still have to be at the correct price point.

you only have to look at the expensive CWC chronograph reissue -

a limited edition of approx 450 pieces and still available 15 years later!

no need for fancy boxes and packaging; that just takes up space in the sock drawer.

really like my Pulsar gen twos and will probably be up for one of these also..

especially as I haven't got any of the fab four - original or reissue.

What about the Miyota 6s21 used in the excellent Vratislava Conceptum chronographs, any good for this project?