Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newmark 6BB chronograph (reissue)

Default Newmark 6BB chronograph (reissue)

The Newmark 6BB Chronograph is about to be reissued.

The 2017 Newmark 6BB is the last of the 'fabulous four' to be recreated.

http://www.newmarkwatchcompany.com

err.. anyone here own up to knowing anything about these ? ?

any info; any pics; certainly sounds interesting but... there's always a but...

http://statuslite.com/domain/newmarkwatchcompany.com

The domain name owner is in Bishops Cleeve, just a coincidence I guess but the former home town of Smiths.

Wow. If it's well done, I'm a potential customer. My guess is it will use one of those Sea-Gull ST-19 movements, which allegedly use the same tooling as the Poljot 3133, which was supposedly somehow related to the 7733, which in theory descended from the 7730. I can't remember the exact mythos surrounding the ST-19, but it's something like that. I've had two or three of these Sea-Gulls, and it's never ended well. But here's to hoping it will be something more interesting and reliable!

Myron

Certainly interesting, but they aren't giving us much to go on so far are they? Also iteresting they use the term reissue, I take it this means they'll be taking the CWC route as opposed to Hamilton?

Well something to keep an eye on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I've had two or three of these Sea-Gulls, and it's never ended well...
    ditto..

but... er.. it could always be quartz...

the "fabulous four" certainly now seems to be the accepted terminology for these.

The 2017 Newmark 6BB is the last of the 'fabulous four' to be recreated.
    what was the Hamilton reissue ? ?

was it just a similar khaki chronograph - or did I miss it completely ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    what was the Hamilton reissue ? ?

was it just a similar khaki chronograph - or did I miss it completely ? ?
    Was more a reimagining than a reissue, the hamilton khaki pioneer pilot automatic.

A lot of detailed measurements were taken from an original of mine !
    Should be good as I can tell you he is going the right way about it.

Well, I hope they do it right and pay attention to all the little original cosmetic details like dial paint texture and hands, which can kill a modern remake and quite often does.. Lets also hope the remake isn't more expensive than the original like the CWC chrono remake which I've always found quite amusing..

Quote Originally Posted by MBRADIO View Post
    Should be good as I can tell you he is going the right way about it.
    C'mon Lee, spill the beans! What's the movement going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Well, I hope they do it right and pay attention to all the little original cosmetic details like dial paint texture and hands, which can kill a modern remake and quite often does.. Lets also hope the remake isn't more expensive than the original like the CWC chrono remake which I've always found quite amusing..
    I love my CWC reissue. Very solid build quality, a pleasure to wind and use, and even though I loved all my genuine Fab Four watches I will say that I don't miss the vintage watch issues that sometimes came with them. I bought my CWC before they jacked the price up on them, so for me it was a great value. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Myron

Default LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MBRADIO View Post

sorry Lee but I couldn't help myself; classic sock drift with knobbly knees edited out.

Eddie once told me in an email that his PRS-5 had a very low failure rate reported and my ST19 powered Chinese AF reissue chrono has been running flawlessly for years..

I would love to but its not my place to do so ! Regarding Movements there was a few option in the melting pot with reliability been a key role but the end choice I do not know so will have to just wait and see.

Sorry not much info to divulge, just seemed a nice bloke that knew what he was talking about.

I've also had some conversations with the maker of the new Newmarks, mostly regarding the exciting topic of bars (fixed or spring? If spring, shoulderless or flanged?) and straps. Oh, and the small matter of movements -- choice of, options regarding, etc.

I'm also not going to say anything more than that except I wish the project well and you should all buy one!
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I've also had some conversations with the maker of the new Newmarks, mostly regarding the exciting topic of bars (fixed or spring? If spring, shoulderless or flanged?) and straps. Oh, and the small matter of movements -- choice of, options regarding, etc.

I'm also not going to say anything more than that except I wish the project well and you should all buy one!
    Shoulderless has my vote

looking forward to this.
    I was not aware of the reissue.
    I have a timefactors PRS5 but the hands jar me little so it doesn't get worn much.
    I like the reissues as they are usable everyday with out the issues of vintage as mentioned above.

Shoulderless has my vote
    Yes I suggested going that route with undrilled lugs and throwing-in an extra pair as they'll need to be cut out . . . .

I'm a big fan of shoulderless spring bars . . . . . the really complete the look in a tiny yet vitally important way. Also, they don't have flanges that snag on fabric / nylon straps and ping them out. (Ping is a technical term.)
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Shoulderless has my vote
    Ditto.

Eddie once told me in an email that his PRS-5 had a very low failure rate reported and my ST19 powered Chinese AF reissue chrono has been running flawlessly for years..
    my Seagull 1963(chinese AF) has been working fine as well, granted I had to go through 3 of them at the beginning.
    first one chrono stopped working the first week, second one had dust under the glass. Seller was awesome. paid shipping both ways until my problem was resolved.

from the story I've heard the Chinese purchased all the tooling for Venus 175 in the late 50's/early 60's before it was absorbed by Valjoux.

so, ST-19 design is fine, just need better QC.

column wheel chronograph for under $300... not bad. good looking movement too.

as long as QC is up to par, I see no problem with ST-19 used.

will be keeping my eyes on this one.