Thread: S&W Model 39-2

Default S&W Model 39-2

I've owned a few 9mms in my life, mostly Browning Hi Powers. I never cared for the 9mm much, it kicked almost as much as the 45, threw the brass into the next county and required jacketed bullets for reloads. Things have changed, the 9mm is now the cheapest round to shoot in the world. Good US made brass cased boxer primed Winchester goes for $10 a box and foreign is even less expensive. At a local gun show 500 rds of Fiocchi, which is top of the line Italian ammo was $107. I found this S&W model 39-2 at the local gun shop for $550.
    It is a very interesting weapon. Designed in the mid 1950s, it was an improvement on the Walther P38. Designed to be sold to the US Army as a replacement for the 1911A1, this was the first US made 9mm automatic. The Army changed their mind about adopting a 9mm so the S&W company peddled it to the Navy where it was an issue pistol for Navy Seal teams and a command officers weapon.
    It was the first US made double/single action pistol. It has a safety/decocker similar to the P38 and can be carried with the hammer down on a loaded chamber safely. The frame is aluminum and the slide steel, It has adjustable sights, and is an extraordinarily beautiful weapon. S&W quality is evident across the board and on the single action mode the trigger is target grade. It is very accurate and was the basis for the very successful Model 52 .38 Spl target pistol. The trigger seems funny at first, but after you are accustomed to it it is great. I was wildly successful as a police sidearm and was made until double stack magazines became popular then it was offered in three other configurations. I haven't seen one for sale for 20 years so when this came up, I jumped on it. This example is about 42 years old, shows some holster wear but beyond that, it is in fabulous shape. When Trump was elected, our 2nd amendment rights were safe for at least the next 8 years so I celebrated by adding this piece.

Oh Boy! Great piece. I had a M39 in the late 60's and a M59 in the 70's. Of the two the 39 is the best but I wish I still had both of them.

Sweet Dave!

Pretty cool, good price for one that nice; great bit of background info on that particular model as well!
    msa6712
    Z-7

Dave, I really enjoy your finds, I am tempted to retain you on my behalf!
    Best,
    Ben

That's one of my favourites Dave, congrats!