Thread: Any one ever see a river Gorge up with ice durring winter

Default Any one ever see a river Gorge up with ice durring winter

The Madison river near Ennis MT Gorges up every winter when it's cold enough. The river freezes up from Ennis lake from the bottom up and the whole river turns to ice and follows the river any of the river that don't freeze comes over the bank there is Ennis park were the river flooded over the bank and covers the ball field with ice. Interesting to see only a few rivers in the world do this I been told.
    A link with info about it.
    http://www.anglerstonic.com/2010/04/...n-river-gorge/
    A few photo's I took today from the cell phone.

Diving over the bridge when I took this photo

From Ennis park MT the river never this high but with it turning to solid ice it raises all most touching the bridge.

Looks cool, errrr COLD
    msa6712
    Z-7

I just googled Ennis MT weather and its 34 currently and its the same in Nashville. But I see this will be the warmest you will be for several days while this will be our coldest for several days. I think Iím too old for winters in Montana. Stay safe.

That looks pretty amazing. The river local to me where I grew up forze up one winter, was pretty incredible for quite a fast running river to almost compltely freeze over and only time I've seen it(our winters in the UK seem to get milder and milder). Didn't look anywhere near as spectacular as what you've captured there though, looks more like snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I just googled Ennis MT weather and its 34 currently and its the same in Nashville. But I see this will be the warmest you will be for several days while this will be our coldest for several days. I think I’m too old for winters in Montana. Stay safe.
    It's what I call a dry cold some times I go back to Calif. were it has damp cold in the winter to see relatives and it's feels worse.

I spent 6 months in the 5th Inf Div before going to the war. I was in Ft Carson Colorado near Col Springs. First snow was in Nov. You could run around in a T shirt. Later it was -9 below zero and that is genuine cold weather. There were 40 car wrecks just in front of the main gate. I liked skiing, but thanks, but no thanks. I'm spoiled rotten in Ca. Its about 60 and the sun is shining, we still play golf and just got a cord of almond to burn in the Jotul stove. The fact that I'm surrounded by liberal weenies and illegals who are still pissed that Trump won is bad but it isn't cold. 60 miles away in SF they're busy with debauchery and nude dining, the insane cabal that put us in this stupid situation. Pray that they never move to your state. Like they're ruining Washington and Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I spent 6 months in the 5th Inf Div before going to the war. I was in Ft Carson Colorado near Col Springs. First snow was in Nov. You could run around in a T shirt. Later it was -9 below zero and that is genuine cold weather. There were 40 car wrecks just in front of the main gate. I liked skiing, but thanks, but no thanks. I'm spoiled rotten in Ca. Its about 60 and the sun is shining, we still play golf and just got a cord of almond to burn in the Jotul stove. The fact that I'm surrounded by liberal weenies and illegals who are still pissed that Trump won is bad but it isn't cold. 60 miles away in SF they're busy with debauchery and nude dining, the insane cabal that put us in this stupid situation. Pray that they never move to your state. Like they're ruining Washington and Oregon.
    Ya but you got 12 new gun laws at the start of the new year we got none the thought of it to cold like you keeps them out and if you notice the weather changed a little so we have less cold winters but this year I think will be colder than the last two winters hope they don't figure some winters are warmer than they use to be.
    http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...123844534.html
    Last edited by river rat; 12-31-2016 at 14:22.

I guess that I should thank you for voting these pinheads into office before you walked off and left the mess for someone else to clean up. But I won't. I was born here and lived here all my life except the two years I was in the war, I refuse to hand the state over to these idealists for their liberal paradise.

I'll go shovel the snow off the driveway........no wait, there is no snow. So I'll go play golf and clean my weapons when I'm finished. Have a wonderful Edmeades Zin for lunch. Maybe go to the beach, it's deserted this time of year and the weather out there is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I guess that I should thank you for voting these pinheads into office before you walked off and left the mess for someone else to clean up. But I won't. I was born here and lived here all my life except the two years I was in the war, I refuse to hand the state over to these idealists for their liberal paradise.

I'll go shovel the snow off the driveway........no wait, there is no snow. So I'll go play golf and clean my weapons when I'm finished. Have a wonderful Edmeades Zin for lunch. Maybe go to the beach, it's deserted this time of year and the weather out there is perfect.
    I have said this before the NRA fucked up they concentrated on congress and the president elections but skipped on state politics were it counts never remember them doing any thing for state politics no ads I can remember I am independent I vote ether way if some one in MT were the candidate says there against gun rights were most candidates are honest and say what they are for they don't get my vote but all candidate in MT are for gun rights or they don't get in. To me state politics is the most important for the second amendment there only one amendment ever changed that was bringing alcohol back by congress in the 1930's and the also in the 1930's for full automatic due to gangsters and bank robbers using them like when the valentines massacre made big news and nothing since. So Dave you got me wrong on that I use to shoot at a gun range off redwood road in Castro Valley it was leased by a gun club from the east bay regional parks it's now shut down due to state politics that sucks my Dad helped build that gun Range. I once singed the petition for the recall election resulted in Governor Gray Davis getting the boot and then voted for Schwarzenegger who was republican. To me state politics is the most important for gun rights when I retired from the Navy I got some framed letters sayings thanks for your service from two Calif. woman politicians well there not hanging on the wall and I never voted for them think you know who they are. My main thing with Trump was his four deferments for the draft if I am right for each deferment some one else with no money to buy there way out had to go in his place right ? So four poor Americans went in his place you could of took his place. I wonder if those four made it back home ? That's my main gripe my Brother was 17 in high school got my Dad to sign the enlistment papers and did not wait to get drafted when he turned 18 so did three of his friends they went in the Navy. The rich during the civil war would get a emigrant right off the boat pay them to take there place it never changes. I joined and did 22 years in the military. See my commander and chief has got to have BIG BALLS and some one neutered Trumps in Vietnam because he bought his way out born with a golden spoon all ready in his mouth.
    Last edited by river rat; 01-02-2017 at 06:35.

And this still burns me up
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.43f78f7d1d77

Here is a documentary about the fire on the USS Forestal were McCain was in the next aircraft that blew up on the flight deck. And Trump called McCain a coward WTF. We were showed this film in fire fighting school because when this happen not all were trained to fight fires on ship. The Navy learned from it's mistake when you have the whole fire party wiped out and have none trained do it they make mistakes like using water and washing away afff foam were the fuel fire came back. So now every body has fire fighting training and have to be damage control qualified with in 6 month of reporting aboard ship.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL57b4P0P5M
    Last edited by river rat; 01-02-2017 at 09:01.

From an image of a frozen river to this...talk about thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    From an image of a frozen river to this...talk about thread drift.
    I apologize for the thread drift Modes please delete my last three replies that got side tracked we should keep this thread less political.

Thread drift ... in unplugged ....

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Hey IMP can you please clean it up and delete my three replies

no need to delete, this is off-topic, and I'll throw in a snow drift for good measure -

Dave is there anyplace in the UK where there is this much snow? Maybe up by Coldstream?
    My Late Royal Marine buddy Neal Jackson said that they used to train in cliffs and such...
    D