Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vulcan bomber watch

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
    So the watches seem more Royal Navy than RAF?........ Getting more interesting!
    It has been interesting to revisit this topic again and trying to piece together all of the information that has been posted over the years.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
    So the watches seem more Royal Navy than RAF?........ Getting more interesting!
    It's long been on record that mine (not mine any more, actually, as no longer collecting) came with a batch of issued Seiko from a naval base in the UK.

Foggy

I agree Ian, we should debunk the RAF Vulcan myth once and for all. There is no evidence to my knowledge of any connection with the RAF but there is some evidence that these watches have some connection with the RN.

I'll have a read over the weekend and start another thread along these lines.

Terry

Default Interesting thread...

and to think about a decade ago I sold the one I owned for a C-note!
    msa6712
    Z-7

I'm sure I remember reading on here (or maybe TX-UK) about the possibility these were related to HMS Vulcan, which was the Naval nuclear propulsion research station in Scotland. No idea if it is true but perhaps it lends more weight to the Navy theory.

Here is a link to an article that may be of interest regarding HMS Vulcan. The article, entitled "Vulcan reactor closes down," was written by David Kerr and appeared on 25 July 2015 in The Press and Journal of Aberdeen, Scotland.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...an-close-down/

Here are the first paragraphs:

"A controversial nuclear test site in Caithness has been shut down for the final time.

The reactor at the Vulcan Naval Reactor Test Establishment was safely closed down earlier this week – with a major operation to clean-up the site due to start.

The site – formerly HMS Vulcan – sits next to, but was operated separately from, the Dounreay nuclear power complex on the north Caithness coast.

Vulcan has been the MoD’s facility for testing new designs of nuclear submarine reactors since the 1950s, in order to assess any potential problems before the ships went to sea."

Quote Originally Posted by Ledgers View Post
    I'm sure I remember reading on here (or maybe TX-UK) about the possibility these were related to HMS Vulcan, which was the Naval nuclear propulsion research station in Scotland. No idea if it is true but perhaps it lends more weight to the Navy theory.
    It has been mentioned here before - http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...l=1#post156507. If indeed this were the case, then we get into discussions about what was the luminous material used on these watches.

As far as I can tell the only thing that could seem to link the word Vulcan to these watches seems to originate from Anchor supplies - see third quote in this post. To date I do not believe that this document has ever come to light.

I have been to Anchor to see Charlotte and they had a few of these in a few years ago all with there boxes and her boss swears they came with a order letter saying Vulcan, sadly without the letter its hearsay.
    IAP

Wow lots of interesting comments thank you very much.
    Jon

Well writ by Ian (P). You hit the nail on the head with this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
    As far as I can tell the only thing that could seem to link the word Vulcan to these watches seems to originate from Anchor supplies ....
    But I can't believe you guys actually went through the whole rigmarole once again.
    Some day, perhaps, all watches will be made this way.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGiphyRTJ-A

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Well writ by Ian (P). You hit the nail on the head with this bit:

But I can't believe you guys actually went through the whole rigmarole once again.
    Rigmarole for you perhaps, but interesting topic on an interesting watch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ceanag View Post
    Rigmarole for you perhaps, but interesting topic on an interesting watch for me.

Rigmarole - a long, rambling story or statement.

synonyms:
    lengthy story/explanation, saga, yarn, recitation, burble, burbling, maundering, shaggy-dog story.

shaggy-dog story:
    a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.
    Some day, perhaps, all watches will be made this way.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGiphyRTJ-A

Rigmarole - a long, rambling story or statement.

synonyms:
    lengthy story/explanation, saga, yarn, recitation, burble, burbling, maundering, shaggy-dog story.

shaggy-dog story:
    a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.
    Do you actually have a point you are trying to make ?

the Vulcan bomber fable has indeed been debunked for a considerable time.

however we do know that these watches did exist and have a connection with MoD auctions and also to Anchor Supplies.

any new snippets that can be documented to throw some light on their actual intended use can only be welcomed.

Ian (P).
    I will forever read Ian's name as "Ian Promethium" from now on.

I've been called worse

IAP

Yep. Everything points to a half-remember document at Anchor Supplies as being the root of the Vulcan bomber myth.

Is there any value in decoding the markings on the boxes, as they may give further information ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
    Is there any value in decoding the markings on the boxes, as they may give further information ?
    the strange thing to me is that there is no NSN marked on the box.

so perhaps an NSN was never allocated.

here's one of mine -

and this one from Lee -

Quote Originally Posted by MBRADIO View Post

Viersen is in Germany.

Devonport and 0552 marked on the box in question must surely imply Royal Navy stores.
    Last edited by dave; 11-14-2016 at 17:21.

Devonport, UK has a large naval base for ships, helicopters, submarines and the Royal Marines. Looking further afield Devonport in Tasmania (Australia) has military barracks, Devenport, NZ has naval base. I think HMNB DEVONPORT is the most likely candidate for these watches.

Method IC. The military has certain standards for the storage of items - Method 10, 20, 30, etc. I found this link that indicates that old Method IC is now Method 30 - PHYSICAL PROTECTION. This is backed up in this PDF file on Military Preservation. There is a discrepancy between the two sources regarding the heading - PHYSICAL vs WATERPROOF protection - but that is a minor point and other sources can confirm.

CL GRP 0552 - O552 we know about and a document shown in Knirim's BRITISH MILITARY TIMEPIECES shows us that it is CLASS GROUP 0552, which could be an abbreviation of CLASSIFICATION GROUP 0552.

So we are at the one that interests me the most.

PATT GXOCO 1718

We have seen PATT xxxxx markings on military timepieces before (e.g. PATT 6 stopwatches and PATT 3169 stopwatches and wristwatches), but what to make of GXOCO 1718 ?

The use of PATT seems very antiquated for the period, as a NSN would make more sense. I'm assuming that PATT here is for trade pattern, as in reference examples of the type of item.

Could it be some weird default on the labelling system, which was not cleared or overwritten ? this seems unlikely as the military are usually quite precise about labelling.

IAP
    Last edited by ianp; 11-14-2016 at 18:26. Reason: typo or two

Default About that document from Knirim

It looks to be a page from Naval Stores Catalogue, BR320 that I have been looking for. Anyone got any leads on such a thing ? I'll drop an email to Herr Knirim

IAP

If anyone has got the watch then why not buy the 51 pattern Coldweather Ventile Parka often worn by the Vulcan Bomber Aircrew.

A snip at 975.00

22 watchers on Ebay. Not mine but i'd love it