Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modest Collection of Military Pocket Knives

Default Modest Collection of Military Pocket Knives

I exchanged several emails with a member about the Victorinox anniversary knife that I have for sale.

We shared a joke about owning a knife costing hundreds of $ that will probably never be used and what other knives we currently own.

I'm not a knife collector, but do have a modest collection of military pocket knives that I thought I would share.

1939 Swiss Elsener (Victorinox)
    1943 British Watts
    1944 Swiss Wenger Delemont
    1964 Swiss Wenger Delemont
    1972 US Camillus
    1992 Dutch Victorinox

If there was anything that I would like to add, it would be a South African Victorinox with Alox scales.

Do you own anything interesting? I suspect that there are a few German SAKs out there.

A also do a bit of vacation whittling and particularly like Boker carbon steel bladed whittlers.

Regards
    Law's in the wash this week

Very nice Billy, got 4 German SAK's & other odds & ends.

Here are my issue SAKs......

and with year/maker.....

My two favorites, 56 Wenger (birth year knife) and 57 Wenger with Grilon® scales...

I bought a used Bund Victorinox on Ebay and the seller sent a 2nd knife with a worn out blade for free! I ground down the worn out serrations and re-sharpened it. (Don't like serrations anyway).

cheers, John
    Last edited by Flightpath; 10-18-2016 at 11:10.

Nice collection John.

Is the 1951 pattern just a bit smaller than the 1908? Are there any other differences?

It's not easy buying pocket knifes from Ebay as Brits are banned from posting or purchasing knives on EBay. A couple of MWR members have helped me out to buy the US Camillus and a Rogers penknife of the sort I had when I was a kid with the picture of a Mountie on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Nice collection John.

Is the 1951 pattern just a bit smaller than the 1908? Are there any other differences?

It's not easy buying pocket knifes from Ebay as Brits are banned from posting or purchasing knives on EBay. A couple of MWR members have helped me out to buy the US Camillus and a Rogers penknife of the sort I had when I was a kid with the picture of a Mountie on it.
    Yes, the 1951 are a bit smaller and also made from stainless steel, I still remember my first pocket knife, a Joseph Rogers from my dad (should try to get one the same).

Got this 1967 issue electricians knife that has been "heavily modified" from a chum. Here are pics of mine, and one of how it should look.
    A whole lot sharper than it was supposed to be when issued...

Not just pocket knives. I really should pick up one of the British jack knives. My dad has his somewhere, but as I recall, it is covered in paint and is likely now rusty as it resides in the deepest, darkest recesses of his garden shed.

Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

C7/C8 Bayonet far right?

I think it is a C7. Bought from cheaper than dirt when they were actually cheap and didn't have obnoxious shipping charges.

IAP

Cool but how about an ID, left to right. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
    Not just pocket knives. I really should pick up one of the British jack knives. My dad has his somewhere, but as I recall, it is covered in paint and is likely now rusty as it resides in the deepest, darkest recesses of his garden shed.

Will keep an eye out for one in good nick.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Will keep an eye out for one in good nick.
    strangely enough they are still on issue - or certainly were up until very recently.

now called clasp knives - the main blade also features an excellent back lock.

plus obligatory tin opener and screwdriver - NSN marked and all stainless steel.

been told that there is still a marlin spike version available?

just got my friend one - a mint and boxed 2009 issue - but not really my cup of tea.

Default OIL THE JOINTS

Is anybody here in the know about Fairbairn Sykes knives? I have my father's from WW2. It was a wreck, he used it to open and then stir tins of paint. I had it restored, probably over restored, but it was a total mess. It looks unusual. It doesn't have any markings such as the broad arrow or Wilkinsons. It also has a roped handle. He served in the middle east, South East Asia, Ceylon, Cocos Islands and Japan so I guess could have been supplied with kit made in countries other than Britain.

Post images.

I have a few reference books and there is a wealth of information out there. I really like this site - http://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com/ - and maybe have a look at the 'derivative knives' if you think yours is unusual.

IAP

Hi,
    I have had a couple of these knives, I know that they were sometimes issued with turned woodern handles when issued in warmer climates, I've not seen a rope handled one before though.
    Depending on the type it would normally have Wilkinsons markings if it was a type 1, the most common type 3 only has a number moulded on the metai handle. Those that were sent to the US as part of the lend lease re-payment had 'ENGLAND' stamped into the crossguard..... all that is from memory, of course there's much more to learn!
    Cheers, John

Fantastic collections, guys!

Myron

This is a very good site for information on Fairbairn fighting knives..

http://gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/fs_knife1.htm

Super. Great thread.

I was never issued a pocket knife, but before flying out of Camp Bastion, Afghanistan in 2012 I was on a cot in the waiting area...and from the corner of my eye I spotted this under one of the cots next to me. I shoved it in my pocket. It's not treasure, but it has a good memory attached to it. For some reason I chucked away the yellow lanyard it was on; i didn't realise at the time that it was part of the issue! No screwdriver or an opener on this thing.

Untitled

The only other time I've had a military issue knife was way back in the early 90's when a swiss soldier gave me his victorinox; anyway i thought i was a piece of shit and used it to smash up cans and mess about with. At the time I didn't appreciate what a beautiful little simple design it was. I've no idea what happened to it. The foolishness of youth!