Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This bear attack happened a few miles from me

Default This bear attack happened a few miles from me

Any one see this. I live about 7 miles from Ennis MT and I do hike some trails around here. I do carry bear spray but mite carry a pistol as back up bear spray did not work in this case.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-Montana.html

Shit, that guy is so lucky. Tough too.
    If I were you, I'd leave the pepper spray and pistol and take a sawn off Remington 5-shot 12 gauge. I once shot one (before they were banned in the late 1980's), 5 shots in just over 2 seconds might slow a bear down enough for you to get away!

The guy that got attacked by that bear thought I thought I recognized the last name. My Dad was neighbors to his Dad.

Bears are really dangerous animals. Quite a few years ago some people were out on the ice and a polar bear started following them. They apparently had a .22 thinking that this would scare the bear off. After a day or so the bear just came into their camp and grabbed some poor guy, drug him off and started eating him. He didn't bother killing him, he just ate him a piece at a time. I understand that the guy was screaming and yelling all to no good.

Mike: I'd make sure to take a big gun and start shooting as soon as you see that sucker. Hit him/her as many times as you can and keep on shooting. No fish and game problem is worth your life. Bear Spray??

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Bears are really dangerous animals. Quite a few years ago some people were out on the ice and a polar bear started following them. They apparently had a .22 thinking that this would scare the bear off. After a day or so the bear just came into their camp and grabbed some poor guy, drug him off and started eating him. He didn't bother killing him, he just ate him a piece at a time. I understand that the guy was screaming and yelling all to no good.

Mike: I'd make sure to take a big gun and start shooting as soon as you see that sucker. Hit him/her as many times as you can and keep on shooting. No fish and game problem is worth your life. Bear Spray??
    You can shoot a bear as a last resort you just got to report it with in 72 hours not to get in trouble.
    http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/...Encounter.html

If a black or grizzly bear attacks, and if you have a firearm and know how to use it safely and effectively, Montana law allows you to kill a bear to defend yourself, another person or a domestic dog. If you do kill a bear in self defense you must report it to FWP within 72 hours.

A bear isn't as dangerous to a human as a human is to a bear. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    That guy was very lucky!
    Not true trident..... I've never heard of an unarmed person wrestling a bear and winning the fight! I can't even imagine how terrifying it must be to come across an angry bear in the wild! Just so you don't get the wrong idea about bear attacks, Google bear attack photos...... not nice to see what's left of people after an attack. My brother fly-fishes all over the west - mid west of the US and always carries a Ruger Blackhawk .357 just in case of mountain lions and bears.

Being from the wilds of the West Midlands I wouldn't venture out there without a 88mm flak gun.

no but I know who I'd put my money on if it was a man with a gun v an unarmed bear.

Here is a good book to read. About a true story at Glacier National Park in 1967 were they had two grizzly attacks at two different areas of the park on the same night two women were killed one was dragged out of her tint they had a TV special I saw on TV not long ago one of the survivors there was a dramatic rescue with a helicopter so should be a good book.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Grizzlies
    And a list of were the human lost
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America
    Last edited by river rat; 10-06-2016 at 05:54.

From that link of deaths by bear I like this one. I would like to see how a dynamite trap would take out a bear dam blow that sucker to pieces.
    Frank Welch, 61, male
    September 8, 1916
    Wild
    Yellowstone National Park
    Welch was killed at a camp near Sylvan Pass while carrying a load of hay and oats. Men from the camp killed the bear with a dynamite trap.

no but I know who I'd put my money on if it was a man with a gun v an unarmed bear.
    Oh, you didn't mention the gun before........ if you have time to get it out and use it correctly, maybe.

Yeah you're right. When I was in Bath the place was overrun with bears. They were swimming back and forth across the Avon.

I used to camp in Modoc county on the east slopes of the Warners. There were so many lions, bears and wolves up there that I'd wear a 45 automatic and carry an M1 Carbine in case one of these critters decided to grab one of my kids for lunch. Worth it? You bet. Pure spring water, ice cold a mile from the source. 6-7,000 feet up. You wouldn't see another person in a week up there. Truth be known California is about 1/2 pristine forest with very few people in those places.
    Last edited by DaveH; 10-06-2016 at 13:01.

Dave Wolf's have been gone from Calf. since the 1924 but they mite be coming back like they were reintroduced in Yellow Stone and the local ranchers in MT are not happy they multiplied fast but MT has more game to keep them away from cattle maybe not the same in Calif. were Ranchers cattle mite pay the price. Instead of Wolfs maybe you were thinking coyotes I use to hear them camping and backpacking in Calif. See link.
    http://www.californiawolfcenter.org/...in-california/

Yeah you're right. When I was in Bath the place was overrun with bears. They were swimming back and forth across the Avon..
    HA HA! You are right the UK is totally sterile when it comes to wildlife, the most dangerous animals we have is the odd irate fox or a magpie with an attitude problem. I have a good mate that lives in BC, he has a house on Arrow lake, I was amazed at the number of bears there. It makes going for a walk interesting, I love it.

The Mrs was born In Zimbabwe and her parents still live there. We go there at least once a year and I have to say I would rather face a bear or mountain lion than most of the animals there (not much more mind).

I took this picture this time last year, whilst having a stroll through the bush I came across a mare elephant with a calf, I thought I would take a snap with my iphone and she decided she did not want me near her so she mock charged me, as you can see I sh@t myself and retreated pretty quickly!

A few days later I was cooking on the Brai (BBQ) down by the Zambezi having a few beers and this bad boy popped out of the water and decided it wanted to eat the grass where I was standing. I moved very slowly back to the safety of the house! They kill more people than all other animals combined out there.

I spend most of my life in the city so when I get the chance I love being in the bush or out in the wilderness, as long as to respect the wild life and act sensibly you should be ok. (a side arm helps though)
    Cheers

John (sinnlover)

Even a broken watch is accurate twice a day!

Here is a sign at the begging of a trail

Here is a cool photo

And some birds at the lake last winter when spring was coming and the lake started to melt.

Some mountain goats creating a traffic jam

John here is some thing you don't see in England

That's true, I have never seen a Bison. I would love to though. They are great pictures, thank you for sharing.

There are buffalo in Zim, and to be honest you don't want to get close, a hunter I know got attacked by one when a tourist on a hunt got it wrong, he was lucky to get away with a smashed leg and broken pelvis. The tourist returned home in a box.

I saw these 2 on my last trip, I am glad it was mid day and they had eaten, again I took the pic with my Iphone whilst on foot! I should invest in a camera with zoom lens or a new pair of Nike.
    Cheers

John (sinnlover)

Even a broken watch is accurate twice a day!

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Dave Wolf's have been gone from Calf. since the 1924 but they mite be coming back like they were reintroduced in Yellow Stone and the local ranchers in MT are not happy they multiplied fast but MT has more game to keep them away from cattle maybe not the same in Calif. were Ranchers cattle mite pay the price. Instead of Wolfs maybe you were thinking coyotes I use to hear them camping and backpacking in Calif. See link.
    http://www.californiawolfcenter.org/...in-california/
    Mike, When I used to hunt mulies up there, the coyotes were huge. full rich coats, some looked like golden retrievers in color. I never shot coyotes because up there they weren't a nuisance, it was too far in. This area is 20 miles from Oregon and about 4 miles from Nevada. It used to be over run with prairie dogs, they called them squeakers up there. There were so many along the alfalfa fields that they held a all you can kill contest once a year. I have coyote pups howling for food near the golf course a couple miles from my house and 10 pound turkeys raiding my garden.
    Wolves not in Calif? About 20 years ago, I came around a curve just south of Adin Calif and almost hit two of them crossing the highway. One was black the other brown, they were huge, really big animals. Their heads were the size of a basketball, and they showed no fear like a coyote would. They just looked at us like "What do you want".
    Here's a photo of me taken up there a bit earlier than that, notice the 98K on my shoulder. And before you start to say "A left handed Mauser?" I know the negative was backward.

I just noticed: On the sign "Stand your ground and spray charging bear." Maybe should add "And bend over and kiss you ass goodbye."
    Last edited by DaveH; 10-07-2016 at 11:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That's true, I have never seen a Bison. I would love to though. They are great pictures, thank you for sharing.

There are buffalo in Zim, and to be honest you don't want to get close, a hunter I know got attacked by one when a tourist on a hunt got it wrong, he was lucky to get away with a smashed leg and broken pelvis. The tourist returned home in a box.

[IMG]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/sinnlover
    /IMG_2303_zpsukb2bsiy.jpg[/IMG]

I saw these 2 on my last trip, I am glad it was mid day and they had eaten, again I took the pic with my Iphone whilst on foot! I should invest in a camera with zoom lens or a new pair of Nike.

John: Great photos. I have always loved Lions. I could watch those Joubert films all day long. I especially like the "Hyena Killer" where a 400 lb male chases down and kills the head female hyena. I would love to ride around with an M16 shooting Hyenas. They are an animal without honor. Lions are incredible. Joubert once described male lions as having a "short violent life". They always stand and fight anything that comes for their females and cubs. Odds don't matter, they still fight. Too bad that they are running out of room

Lions are fantastic animals, the camouflage they have is unbelievable, dry brush or green woodland they still disappear. If you understand lions (or are with someone that does understand them) you can get quite close. If they have eaten and it's in the middle of the day they are very lazy. As soon as the sun goes down they change.
    Listening to them at night is chilling, you can hear them 5 miles away and if they are close they can see you but you can't see them.
    AR15 in 5.56mm would not cut the mustard there.
    45apc or .357 as a minimum for side arms
    6.75mm in rifle but most chamber the old NATO round and calibers increase. Barrett's are being used be the fu*king poachers now.
    Hyena are another matter; fu*king awful animals. They are so huge it's scary; if you hit one in a 4x4 it would wreck the jeep and walk away. The neck and jaw has to been seen to be believed. Ugly as sin and unpredictable.
    I strongly recommend Southern Africa for anyone that like the out doors, it's fantastic as long as you learn from people that know the country (like any where)