Thread: Egyptian vase appraisal help ...

Default Egyptian vase appraisal help ...

Hi All- This was my Gran's vase from her father who was in the Boer War and brought it back from Africa. It has the God Horus (I think?) for arms (ears?). I was wondering if anyone knows of a good free appraisal service . Thanks -Ron

How sure are you that the vase is Egyptian ?
    To me it looks like it could be Oriental probably Japanese.
    It appears to be made of brass or bronze with Champleve enamel or a type of cloissone.
    You also haven't stated the size but on observation and in my opinion it is not a high quality item and if I were selling it retail I would expect somewhere in the region of $150-200.
    Happy to hear if anyone else has similar or differing views.

This type of bronze casting was popular in the 20s. I have a beautiful large casting in the form of a brazier. It is much more intricate that this piece. It's attractive because it is big and heavy. The cloisonne at the top has what? Is that a woman peeking over the line or a bunch or flowers? A lot of this stuff came out of Italy as well. Here are some mystery things that I'd love to have accurately valued:

Banned

Both are pieces of art if we are not sure about the age and region of the first one no issues it really is a masterpiece 2nd one looks great though. It seems the person who made it spent a good amount of time on it and was mighty skillful.

Hi Ronbo

More likely its North African either Morocco or Algeria, both pieces are very morrish in design, shape and artwork