Thread: A short firearm quiz…

Default A short firearm quiz…

It's 1961; you are a rural law enforcement officer and you get to buy your own weapons and your department will reimburse you. You can buy one handgun, one rifle, and one shotgun. Department policy states revolvers only no semi-auto pistols, no full-auto weapons and all must be US manufacture. What's your pick for your duty guns? Take in consideration the region of the country you are located in and keep in mind its 1961 so think about the types of ammo available at the time.
    I’ll start:
    S&W model 24
    M1 carbine
    Ithaca Model 37 12 Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    It's 1961; you are a rural law enforcement officer and you get to buy your own weapons and your department will reimburse you. You can buy one handgun, one rifle, and one shotgun. Department policy states revolvers only no semi-auto pistols, no full-auto weapons and all must be US manufacture. What's your pick for your duty guns? Take in consideration the region of the country you are located in and keep in mind its 1961 so think about the types of ammo available at the time.
    I’ll start:
    S&W model 24
    M1 carbine
    Ithaca Model 37 12 Ga.
    S&W model 28. 4"
    M1 carbine
    Winchester 1897 12ga. (No disconnector)

Hi,

I'd go for

S&W Model 28
    M1 carbine
    Hi Standard Flite King, Brush Model, 12ga. (just to be different)

Found this great 1960s FBI video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waWoaw1yuEI

cheers, John
    Last edited by Flightpath; 09-15-2016 at 01:03.

S&W M27 5"
    Remington 742 carbine .308
    Ithaca M37 Deerslayer 12 Ga.

Colt 1878 .45 LC
    Winchester lever Action, .45 LC.
    Browning, Model Auto-5 Sweet Sixteen Semi-Auto, 16 GA

Scout, I think in 61 if someone were to want a large frame Colt in 45L they'd probably have opted for the 1909 New Service. The Frontier wouldn't have really cut it.
    A lever in 45LC in 61 would have to have been a special order, I don't think it was a standard offering up till much later. Lastly, I don't think the sweet 16 would have cut it, too much possibility of ammo confusion and finding 00 would be a hassle, at that time most would have gone for a surplus Win 97 in 12ga. I don't think many people looking at the bore of one of those were inspired to say, "make me."

Quote Originally Posted by JBan View Post
    Scout, I think in 61 if someone were to want a large frame Colt in 45L they'd probably have opted for the 1909 New Service. The Frontier wouldn't have really cut it.
    A lever in 45LC in 61 would have to have been a special order, I don't think it was a standard offering up till much later. Lastly, I don't think the sweet 16 would have cut it, too much possibility of ammo confusion and finding 00 would be a hassle, at that time most would have gone for a surplus Win 97 in 12ga. I don't think many people looking at the bore of one of those were inspired to say, "make me."
    All right I'll bite... I would like to defend ... "The Honor of my choices"

As for ammo availability ...its 1961 and all of these calibers are in abundance.

1)1878 U.S. .45LC COLT (HN Stamped)
    I own the affformentioned Colt Revolver in comparison to My brand new Cimmaron birds head grip in .45LC it is like "Day and Night" with the Colt leaving the " "youngster in the dust'. The 1878 U.S. .45LC COLT that I own is one of the finest revolver I have ever held in my hand.

2) Winchester Lever Action:
    I meant 1878 U.S. in .45-75 Winchester not .45 LC ... reason being, William Antrim.

3)1939 Browning .16 ga
    I own one, it was was my Grandfathers and I grew up shooting it and it is smooth and reliable.
    My Grandfather 1939 Browning A-5 is absolutely wonderful to shoot. I would of course saw it off, to just forward of the take down dial...some of the Stock would be cut down too.
    As a "Lawman of 1921" I would have lived day and night with it suspended under my right shoulder. Shortened for quick draw and short range semi-auto "fun" resulting in an excellent force multiplier .
    In comparison of 5 shots of, Full Load .12ga. 00 and Full Load .16 Gauge 00, it comes down your 2nd etc. round follow up and how the lack of recoil is ...well something else. The workmanship on my A-5 is excellent and I can shoot it all day with full loads. Remember no .12ga. low recoil tactical loads back then. we are using 1961 available ammo.

"DocM"
    Last edited by ScoutMedic; 11-16-2016 at 20:56.

Ahhh.... that defense of my three pics are pathetic ...LMAO... but its what i am going to go with as I fell asleep twice while writing it.

"DocM"
    Last edited by ScoutMedic; 11-16-2016 at 21:10. Reason: fell asleep and hit send without finishing...lol

That Colt revolver is definitely cool and probably shoots great, but it takes an hour to reload, a New Service reloads in seconds and is a far more reliable pistol. They never made a Winchester 1878 repeater, maybe an 1876? I love 16Ga shotguns, they are apparently wildly popular in Europe. I've owned and shot many of them, doubles, Model 12s etc. They do everything a 12 does and kicks a lot less. When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s every hardware store and sporting goods store sold ammunition and had almost every brand and caliber available. Is your auto-5 a "Sweet Sixteen"? wonderful guns. If you saw off the barrel I'll shoot you with it.

Light Sabre.

An 8 inch hard wood truncheon, a nice whistle and a helmet the shape of a tit!
    And if the young whipper snapper gets shirty give him a clip 'round his lug 'ole and send him on his way!
    Justice UK style!

I've always thought that a big heavy night stick would work like a champ. Like on the kneecap... My old LEO buddies would wade into a bar fight with the stick, a sap and lead gloves. They said that the sap on the back of the neck would drop them like a rock. This has fallen into disfavor here in the US. Line of thought being "We shoot them because we can" so they just go ahead and shoot them. Generally only the cop's side of the story gets told, so that's cool. Another thing that the Brits got right.

Now days the coppers have a collapsible batton that extends to about 3 foot.
    Any trouble and they flick it out and smash you in the knee or shin and then ask questions later. Can't say I want to be on the receiving end. I am glad most of our coppers are unarmed but the PC brigade is getting beyond the joke here as well.
    Sorry to derail the threat, as you were!