Thread: Can white gold be magnetic?

Default Can white gold be magnetic?

A while back I posted about an IWC 3706 I picked up and had traded two gold watches for. One watch I traded was my 18k white and yellow gold Cartier Santos Dumont:

http://paulspenscanada.blogspot.ca/2...os-dumont.html

Now the shop owner is claiming that the case is steel and not white gold.

He said a magnet sticks to it and therefore it's steel. He applied his magnet to some gold that he had made for some jewellery repairs and again the magnet attracted the gold he had mixed up himself which elicited a very quiet "Sh!t" from him.

I insisted he do an acid test and sure enough it came up as 18k, but then he decided to acid test a steel knife blade--and it came up as 18k gold!

Now he's saying he's going to take it to Toronto for an assay test and the computer will tell him what it really is.

This is what I get for dealing with a glorified pawn shop disguised as a jewellery shop.

So can white gold attract a magnet?
    Thank you kindly.

I don't believe so.

NEVER

Default I did some investigation ...

its the mixtures of metals that can make gold magnetic.
    It depends on what other metals are in it for instance cobald, nickel and iron can make
    gold magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by namib View Post
    its the mixtures of metals that can make gold magnetic. it depends on what other metals are in it for instance cobald, nickel and iron can make gold magnetic.
    Thanks for this namib. I was actually going to post an update about this. I was contacted on the CWC forum by a gold buyer with decades of experience who told me that he has found that some white gold is attracted to magnets because of the metal content.

As for this situation, after calling me twice and making accusations before even testing the gold, and then sending me a three paragraph email saying I would have to buy back the watch, the shop owner sent me this email:

"Test shows 18k white gold."

One thing I'm happy about this is that this guy has shown me what kind of person he is and now I can avoid him.
    Thank you kindly.

yes I also try to avoid this kind of "customers"
    ... They wreck my nerves !!!

There is a possibility that iridium is part of the alloy. Platnum watches often are alloyed with iridium. I don't know if Iridium holds a magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    There is a possibility that iridium is part of the alloy. Platnum watches often are alloyed with iridium. I don't know if Iridium holds a magnet.
    Interesting point DaveH as when I first saw the watch I assumed it was platinum because of the colour. The stamp on the lug was clearly a gold stamp, but the colour looks more grey than white.

I wondered if it might be "blue gold" or "blue white gold" which is mixed with iron and creates this darker luster.
    Thank you kindly.

Perhaps a titanium alloy?