Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and Hamilton 308 Device

Quote Originally Posted by BrianDumais View Post
    Have you tired checking with a continuity tester what happens at 2400? Thanks Brian
    I've wondered the same thing...maybe I should put a multimeter on mine and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianDumais View Post
    Very cool. Was it difficult to remove crystal. The stem screw must have been just under the dial. Have you tired checking with a continuity tester what happens at 2400? Thanks Brian
    I had a professional do it. It was more involved than opening the Blancpain. I need to put a crown on it and then see what happens at 24 but haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the nice write-up Ashmoret, and as others have said it's great that it has worked out the way it has. I had the feeling from your original thread that you were buying to sell on, but after the time and effort you've put into researching this I think would be great to keep at least one of them (or even better both of them!!)

Quote Originally Posted by reg-life View Post
    Thanks for the nice write-up Ashmoret, and as others have said it's great that it has worked out the way it has. I had the feeling from your original thread that you were buying to sell on, but after the time and effort you've put into researching this I think would be great to keep at least one of them (or even better both of them!!)
    I would like to keep them, and may for a while. But candidly the Blancpain is worth too much for me to wear regularly. I think I will sell it at some point. I'm not sure yet about the Hamilton.

Congrats glad it turned out a happy ending and it was legit

what an amazing find and story

Unfortunately it just stopped working. Need to take it in tomorrow and see what's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmoret View Post
    Unfortunately it just stopped working. Need to take it in tomorrow and see what's wrong.
    Full movement service is long overdue. If you can live without the watch for 6 months, send it to Jack at International watch works (IWW). He will sort you out and have your watch running properly in no time. Best wishes. Khurram.

Ashmoret, a truly impressive undertaking with fantastic results.

Best, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by genghis View Post
    Full movement service is long overdue. If you can live without the watch for 6 months, send it to Jack at International watch works (IWW). He will sort you out and have your watch running properly in no time. Best wishes. Khurram.
    Bit of a oxymoron there khurram 😊

Anyone know how the bomb fuse watch worked? Did you just remove the watch and say goodbye to it when you wanted to use it for triggering explosions?

Probably like a time bomb since the watch the timing device kiss the watch good by when it blows up.

That was my assumption as well. Set it as a countdown, and when the clock hits 2400, *boom*

I played around with the multimeter last night and wasn't able to measure any voltage at or near midnight. I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can learn anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bpc View Post
    I played around with the multimeter last night and wasn't able to measure any voltage at or near midnight. I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can learn anything else.
    I would have expected it to be a contact closure rather than a voltage source.

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    I would have expected it to be a contact closure rather than a voltage source.
    Fair point...would the device being detonated have its own power source for igniting the caps? (Admittedly, I know nothing about ordnance.) Is there a way I could measure a change at 2400? Measure if a circuit is open then closes?

Quote Originally Posted by bpc View Post
    Is there a way I could measure a change at 2400? Measure if a circuit is open then closes?
    Yes, just measure continuity. Some multimeters will have a beeper setting for closed/short circuit.

Does it feel a bit odd when you get near 24.00, like you might get blown up?

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    Does it feel a bit odd when you get near 24.00, like you might get blown up?
    Haha, a little! I feel like I'm in a movie...

No dice on continuity. The multimeter indicated an open circuit at 2400 (and all the way around the rest of the dial - I turned the crown to see if any other time closed the circuit). I haven't opened mine to see if it has the same insides as the OP's.

"Not the black wire!!!! Cut the red!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    Bit of a oxymoron there khurram ��
    haha! Priming the noob's patience incase he decides to sent the watch to Jack! ��

I would assume its normal closed circuit?!?

Brian