Thread: Can Anyone Help Me ID This Watch Case??

Default Can Anyone Help Me ID This Watch Case??

Hello Members!
    I'm a new member to forum and I've been collecting military watches for about a year.

I came across a watch that strikes me as possibly military of some kind.

The dial and movement I don't think is military but the case I do. The dial is Norma and I believe the movement is as well. The case is beat up base metal and the case back has a 6 digit serial number on the back and that's it. The spring band was also struck me as miltary.

If anyone has any information that can help me ID what I have, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi,
    The case back is vaguely reminiscent of the Revue cal 57 ATP but the ATP has more (ie smaller) scallops so it's not that and the serial is too late for an ATP anyway. The top case doesn't look too distinctive to my eyes. The slinky bracelets are often described as military but I think that myth has been debunked - they were popular civilian wear in the States in the mid-20th century I believe.
    Hope this helps. My 2c worth.
    Regards,
    Martin (isologue)

Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    Hi,
    The slinky bracelets are often described as military but I think that myth has been debunked - they were popular civilian wear in the States in the mid-20th century I believe.
    Regards,
    Martin (isologue)

I got a Timex with one of those bracelets for Xmas in around 1962. I bloody hated it, it not only trapped hair, it trapped skin too!
    That is, until I stretched the damn thing until it was long enough to put round my waist...

...I believe the correct nomenclature is the ''OOOH AAARRGH'' band...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    ...That is, until I stretched the damn thing until it was long enough to put round my waist...

...I believe the correct nomenclature is the ''OOOH AAARRGH'' band...
    so you actually ended up with the ''OOOH AAARRGH'' belt!

on a serious note back to the watch case in question -

fixed bars were commonly seen on lots of watches from this era.

sorry but can see nothing that would even vaguely imply that the case or band could be military.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    so you actually ended up with the ''OOOH AAARRGH'' belt!

on a serious note back to the watch case in question -

fixed bars were commonly seen on lots of watches from this era.

sorry but can see nothing that would even vaguely imply that the case or band could be military.
    Thank you all for your help!

I'm a novice when it comes to military watches and the one I posted looked military to me but I came a group much more knowledgeable than myself.

I do, however, have a 1943 Bulova 10AKCSH that I'm trying to get back to original specs. I'm looking for the correct AF 43 case and vintage strap.

Thank you all!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mstorms2672 View Post
    I do, however, have a 1943 Bulova 10AKCSH that I'm trying to get back to original specs. I'm looking for the correct AF 43 case and vintage strap...
    Mike - the Bulova A-11s are a great little watch.

may I suggest that you put a WTB on our Post Exchange - PX

am pretty sure that there are at least a couple of members here that will be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Mike - the Bulova A-11s are a great little watch.

may I suggest that you put a WTB on our Post Exchange - PX

am pretty sure that there are at least a couple of members here that will be able to help you out.
    Dave,
    Thank you and that's a great idea! I'm still new to MWR and I'm still going through all the boards and posts in my spare time. Most likely it will be posted today. Thanks again!

Mike

Hi,
    The case back is vaguely reminiscent of the Revue cal 57 ATP but the ATP has more (ie smaller) scallops so it's not that and the serial is too late for an ATP anyway. The top case doesn't look too distinctive to my eyes. The slinky bracelets are often described as military but I think that myth has been debunked - they were popular civilian wear in the States in the mid-20th century I believe.
    Regards,
    Martin (isologue)

Martin, I wonder if the origins of that myth might not originate with the band in this advert, named the "Stevel Wristlet"?
    It looks to be totally flexible on reading the description, and I think this is the same type as the one on the OP's watch.

Regards, Bob.

Be aware that of the makers of A-11s the Bulova cases seem to always be in worse shape, especially around the spring bar hole. Often they are worn through at those points. If you set your sights high, you may be looking for a while. Great backs, movements and good dials.

I have a spare silver 1943 A-11 case, but I don't have any crowns to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Martin, I wonder if the origins of that myth might not originate with the band in this advert, named the "Stevel Wristlet"?
    It looks to be totally flexible on reading the description, and I think this is the same type as the one on the OP's watch.

Regards, Bob.
    It's difficult to tell from the advert but I suspect it's one of those with solid blocks that have elastic joints. I have seen the odd trench watch with wristlets of that design, even one stamped ARMY which is purely civilian in origin (though try telling that to eBay sellers). Perhaps anything more durable than leather was regarded as 'military'?
    Nice to see the Birch & Gaydon Land & Water watch represented BTW - I have a white dial version somewhere. I used to remember how to remove the movement - it looks like it should be a Borgel but it isn't. I think the whole assembly drops out when you pull the stem.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

It's difficult to tell from the advert but I suspect it's one of those with solid blocks that have elastic joints. I have seen the odd trench watch with wristlets of that design, even one stamped ARMY which is purely civilian in origin (though try telling that to eBay sellers). Perhaps anything more durable than leather was regarded as 'military'?
    Nice to see the Birch & Gaydon Land & Water watch represented BTW - I have a white dial version somewhere. I used to remember how to remove the movement - it looks like it should be a Borgel but it isn't. I think the whole assembly drops out when you pull the stem.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Hi Martin, sorry to miss your reply, and be so late in answering. I do not think the strap was as you described, but is actually made from a flat(tish) spring. If you look at this larger advert, you can see the turn of the steel wire at the sides.
    Also the description says that the whole watch can be turned over to protect the crystal from damage, something my old Timex used to do of it's own desire occasionally...

1917 advert.

Cheers, Bob.
    Farewell to WTU