Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TZ-UK Strange Forum

Default TZ-UK Strange Forum

Is it me or am I missing something here ?
    As you do I came across well lets not go into detail but a less than gratuitous remark, and yes about ME !

So I thought lets join and see if I could put my side over, no great deal but thought it would be a nice intro to this forum.

But hey ho ! no you cant post on here till we say so, but looking further into other post on there it dose look like a bit of a mine field.

anybody else found this ?

Lee

I found visiting and posting on TZ to be emotionally futile. It was like high school all over again with various cliques and popular posters. God forbid you ask a question that requires a technical answer because it will forever remain unanswered.
    Thank you kindly.

It's a little on the light side. Seemed like some nice folks, but never stuck around as dialogue was more congratulatory than questioning.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by What Does Your Watch Say? View Post
    I found visiting and posting on TZ to be emotionally futile. It was like high school all over again with various cliques and popular posters.
    A very accurate description of a very poorly ran forum ! One of if not the worst watch forums on the web !

Default Perhaps...

Without knowing the context, it may be a cultural thing. The Brits are both insular and worldly at the same time (cf: Brexit). And knowing and working with many Englishmen and Scotsman over the years, "taking the mick" is standard practice for the British. I know it's a stereotype, but you will be hard-pressed to find to find a people more sarcastic or ready with a double-entendre than the English. Or as laconic as the Scots. That being said, the Welsh are of an different stripe entirely. Just one (colonial) man's opinion...

i found the members there knowledgeable on the whole, although there are cliques just as any other forum you can name.
    I know for a fact that there is a member here who was banned from TZ-UK for their boorish and nasty attitude.

CR.
    you can't tar all us limeys with the same brush !

TZ UK is a very British forum
    The p1ss taking is part of life in the UK so it finds its way on to the Internet. In fact if someone takes the pee you can usually consider yourself one of the gang. Give as good as you get. On the whole the guys and gals there are good eggs.

That said it is a strange place, I don't care much for the almost immediate shooting down of new members by the 'old guard' usually accompanied by the quote "use the search function". If there is no new blood and they don't ask the questions they need answers too, (questions that the old guard have more than likely asked in the past) forums would die or be full of "look at my new Rolex" "nice wear in good health"....

There are tossers in all walks of life (real or cyber) and it does have its fair share, as a result the bickering that is occurring over there at the moment is highly entertaining.

My advice would be to call the person who insulted you 'out' if the comment was offensive of unwarranted, give as good as you get.

The whole internet is full of keyboard warriors, usually too timid to say boo to a goose in real life, remember that and I feel you can't go too wrong.
    It's the Internet not real life!

John

(Sinnlover on tzuk and MWR)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 08-05-2016 at 01:30. Reason: Forgot an 's, if this finds it's way over there the grammer nazi's will have a field day

To be honest I find the TZ forum a little weird myself.

A few years ago I tried to post on it and it had some weird rule about needing to have post 200 times before being able to look on the sales forum and being invited to join.

In the end I couldn't be bothered with such an over complicated, protracted process - its just a bloody watch form!

This is the only one I bother with now - VRF has become boring with the same predictable posts "Is this 5513 fake - How much is my watch worth?"

Any interesting posts get shut down for fear of being sued - Americans (Oh yes another stereotype).

Just what Sinnlover said. I like the place but it's a bit like your "local" with Eddie as the landlord.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I presumed this was why most posts on there were people going "nice watch"; just trying to build up their post count. Boring!

I post there every now and then it's a little different than other forums. Do like there post count for sells but it should be the same to look at what's for sell it's like they tease you if I remember it's less post to look at the sells forum then more to sell or buy mite be wrong. What good about having so many post before you can sell there a regular by the time they can sell and can be trusted with less rip offs. I do got post count to buy and sell there but never have. Never been treated badly over there the military section over there use to have more activity like ours has slowed down over the years lately ours is picking up again a little .

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    i found the members there knowledgeable on the whole, although there are cliques just as any other forum you can name.
    I know for a fact that there is a member here who was banned from TZ-UK for their boorish and nasty attitude.
    He was banned for standing up for himself from the keyboard bullies and other forum members disagreed with the fact that they thought he was a dealer and did not give 10% of his takings to the forum fund raiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That said it is a strange place, I don't care much for the almost immediate shooting down of new members by the 'old guard' usually accompanied by the quote "use the search function".

One of the reasons MWR, CWC and FPN are my favorite forums is because very rarely will I see someone reply to a newbie like that. What have seen here are members actually posting links for people to follow.

When you're new sometimes you don't know what to search for. Getting tips from more experienced people can help in your search, if someone will take the time to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    If there is no new blood and they don't ask the questions they need answers too, (questions that the old guard have more than likely asked in the past) forums would die or be full of "look at my new Rolex" "nice wear in good health"....
    Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    It's a little on the light side. Seemed like some nice folks, but never stuck around as dialogue was more congratulatory than questioning.
    Yep. Let's see your steering wheels! Lets see your new shoes! (leather straps) Look at my new $10,000 Rolex! (the sixth one they've bought this year)

I have to say mea culpa because I read this as TZ rather than TZ-UK. I haven't been on TZ-UK very much but if it's anything like it's American cousin, I can't imagine wanting to visit.
    Thank you kindly.

I read and post on TZ-UK sometimes, and agree it can be a bit off-putting when another member goes from zero to "you stupid wanker" in no time flat. It's also very easy to accidentally step into a minefield of long-simmering animosity and see your thread get derailed into the latest skirmish in an eternal flame war. As an Anglophile it's a bit difficult for me to reconcile my real-world experiences among the polite and reservedly-friendly people of Britain, with the vitriol and mud-slinging they have on their watch forum. I wonder what those guys (it's always guys) are like in real life.

For all that, I appreciate what a great community MWR is!

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    I wonder what those guys (it's always guys) are like in real life.- Matt
    Much like trolls on every other forum those people are 10 feet tall and bullet proof online and clam up in real life, never speaking to people in person the way they answer people online.
    Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    He was banned for standing up for himself from the keyboard bullies and other forum members disagreed with the fact that they thought he was a dealer and did not give 10% of his takings to the forum fund raiser.
    If we're talking about the same member, that's total bull.

Sorry but I don't see the point of this thread any more. Why are people on our forum discussing how people do business on their forum especially when it degenerates to a bit of a slanging match and disagreements between MWR members. just worry about what goes on here

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    If we're talking about the same member, that's total bull.
    It may not be the same member. So many have come and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    It may not be the same member. So many have come and gone.
    Too true.