Thread: Latest car boot finds

Default Latest car boot finds

Got these two among several other knife and watch finds in the last two days, got several more boot fairs to visit, today and tomorrow at least...

This one looks to be a 1960's model, MIKOV Chzechoslovakia lock knife. Fair sized blade of about 3 1/2 inch, really great condition carbon steel.

This one is new, got very cheap because it had no sheath.
    Hunting/bushcraft 5-inch blade with polished bone scales. Got to find a nice sheath now...

Will post other finds if any.

Cheers, Bob.

really love these car boots and various fairs threads - Ian and James posted a few in the past.

both knives look good and both totally illegal to carry in a the UK now - LOL.

please keep them coming...

At our flea markets and gun shows, you'll see some guys that only do knives. Usually because someone hung a felony on them and they can't do firearms anymore. I'm very firmly convinced that a guy can kill you as fast or faster with a knife than a gun. People die when they bleed out and knives make you bleed out as quick or quicker.
    There was a poor fellow in Healdsburg having a drink at the only bar in town square when he happened to have a little argument over the jukebox with one of Jimmy Carter's Cuban refugees. One of the murderers that Fidel released and sent to the US. This guy was so slick and quiet. The local thought that the puke had just shoved him in the chest and then left the bar. the guy sat back down on his stool and quietly died at the bar. The puke had slipped a narrow knife up under the breastbone poked a nice hole in the motor and walked away.
    Here is a neat old Case Canoe that I bought at a flea for $10. It is code CASE XX. Bone handle, silver trim. Probably 75 years old.

Sweet canoe knife Dave, I would love to find a nice one at the right price.
    A buddy in San Diego recently bid on these two and won them for me, as I can't bid on knives on Ebay in England.
    Nice but slightly worn Boker Tree brand Barlow knife, and a fishtail Valley Forge stiletto.

My best car boot find of the holiday was yesterday, this 1889 hallmarked silver and mother of pearl fruit knife for a fiver. Fantastic work on the scales and even has engraving on the spine.

On a watch-related note, I found this vintage camera photo timer for 2. It is made by Swiss company RECTA. You don't see many like this, fits onto the shutter button and has different time delays up to 45 seconds. Works perfectly and in great condition too.

Apart from some Givenchy Gentleman aftershave (genuine, not moody) for a paltry 11 and a couple of ladies mechanical vintage wrist watches (got to keep 'em happy, right?) for 2.50, that was me on my holidays. I need another to get over that one...

I've never heard about Barlow knives before. I thought it was just the manufacturer. Who hasn't had a Barlow??
    Thanks for the info.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I've never heard about Barlow knives before. I thought it was just the manufacturer. Who hasn't had a Barlow??
    Thanks for the info.
    D
    The Barlow is a style and a manufacturer. The design has to do with the large bolster on one end only, usually with just a single or two side-by-side blades.

I think the Barlow knife is mainly a US thing, so it may be rarer to see them outside of there.

http://barlow-knives.com/history.htm

Post Barlow

do these two count -

http://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-barlow

http://www.heinnie.com/boker-barlow

actually I can recommend Heinnies as a good UK company to deal with...

A couple of nice ones Dave. Try A. Wright and son, very good knives.

http://www.penknives-and-scissors.co..._scissors.html

BTW, I gave the Mikov lock knife a bit of a clean.

just picked up this G Butler & Co Sheffield pen knife - and it's perfectly legal to carry.

wonder if the handle is horn?

vendor said that it had issues but it looks fine to me!

some tricky trimming here to miss the splodge on the sensor - top right.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

just picked up this G Butler & Co Sheffield pen knife - and it's perfectly legal to carry.

wonder if the handle is horn?

vendor said that it had issues but it looks fine to me!

some tricky trimming here to miss the splodge on the sensor - top right.
    Looks like horn to me, some nice jigging on the scales.
    Shame about the pen blade, but a bit of grinding and polishing should smarten it up in no time. I use a dremmel-type tool, saves skin abrasion and blisters.

I got one of these for a few quid from the local antique emporium, needs cleaning up but it's nice to have one that probably served in the war.

Hope you don't mind me tailing onto your thread, but thought probably not worth a thread of its own. Just went to my first car boot sale in years, a load of tat but right at the end found this little beauty with an asking price of 4

No idea if it works of course, anyone advise if I can just wire in a regular plug? Guessing something like a 3amp if so?

Oh and by coincidence I was wearing this wondering around, would have been rude not to pick up its uncle.....

That's a cool clock, not to be missed especially at that price.

Here is one of the watches I got for just 2.50 for two. Real diamond marker and a nice 17 jewel movement. The missus made me a lovely lamb dinner for that, must find more...

On another note, I found this for 3, it turned out to be a leather creasing tool from around a hundred years ago. Lovely rosewood handle.

Another find, not car boot but charity shop.
    I bought one for a quid, then after a visit to the bank, went back and got it's brother for the same amount.
    Well, it would have been a shame to split them up...

They are called Sikes Hydrometers, used in brewing and were first used by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in 1816, and were used until 1907 in this guise. They measure 10 1/2 inches long and made from copper and brass.
    I can't find an exact match for this type with a tubular copper scale instead of a flat scale, but the company that made them, G.H. Zeal of London are still making these, only in glass.
    I would date them to turn of the century, maybe late 1800's.

Those hydrometers are fantastic, take me back so my days as a brewer (although I of course used the glass versions), interesting find.