Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWC SBS Resurrection...

Post CWC SBS Resurrection - Stage 1

SBSs' are hard to find in any condition. I've been wanting an issued SBS watch for sometime but they usually get snapped up on eBay for the asking price so the chances of picking up a cheap SBS are long gone. The next best thing is to find one in need of TLC. A fellow CWC collector was kind enough to sell me one of his 'basket case watches' to get me off his back. I've rebuilt a few CWC quartz divers watches with the help of Bobsy in Singapore but I think this SBS takes the prize for bringing something back to life.

Stage 1 was to strip, clean and rebuild the watch using a standard RND dial to get the watch running. The very fine powder found under the bezel and lack of corrosion on the main case and case back suggested that the watch had come to grief in fresh water and may have spent sometime face down in the mud before being discovered. The case cleaned up well and with a new crystal and crown was ready to go. I had a RN diver built up sans case back so opted to remove the module complete from the RND and drop it into the SBS case. True to form the ETA 955.122 keeps accurate time.

Stage 2 will be to replace the dial and bezel when and if I can find a SBS dial and better bezel or donor watch to rob the parts from.

The photographs will take you through stage 1.

The rebuild was quite straight forward and Bobsy soon had the watch up and running completing stage 1. Thanks Bobsy for another great job.

If anyone has a spare SBS dial or donor watch, I would certainly like to hear from you so we can complete stage 2.

Terry
    Last edited by dave; 07-08-2016 at 16:43. Reason: title.

Think I'd be inclined to keep the bezel whatever - it's part of the watch's history. Take a resto too far and it becomes a collection of nos parts.

Its looking good Terry, I even like the bezel in its "as found" condition, perhaps its better than a new bezel as it shows the hard life it has had.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Point taken about leaving the bezel 'as is' to reflect the condition of the watch pre-refurb. The SBS is not a historic watch in the sense that it's from a bye gone era and should be preserved as such. I agree a new bezel would be out of place on the watch. My thinking is along the lines of returning the watch to a serviceable and usable condition. I don't think any quartermaster would accept the watch back into stores with the bezel in this condition. If I can find a bezel that reflects moderate wear, I think it would make the watch usable again in a military sense, not to mention more wearable around town. I'm keeping the old parts and they are part of the story as are the photographs.

Terry

Nice save Terry and a bezel such as this one would do nicely but you can't have it There certainly is an attraction to restoring back to serviceable used & abused mil-watches which didn't languish on a supply Sgt's shelf somewhere.. My 1996 RN diver also had a hard life and came directly out of MOD sales looking like this. The case was also satinized roughly with a brillo pad or something to remove the shine. After swapping out the heavily scratched glass the dial was found to be in mint condition so if you ever source a better SBS dial my example shows that externally they can be quite beaten up but retain excellent dials..

Cheers,

Konrad

Default Great stuff Terry

Personally I like to see the battlescars on an issued watch too.
    I left my issued SBS alone as found and as it came from the person it was issued too.

I'll keep my eyes open for a dial for you.

Cheers,

Nick.

I also wanted say that you wouldn't leave one of your own behind on the battlefield and even remains are properly honored. By rescuing these wounded warriors Terry, Bobsy, myself and as you saw in the sister thread, quite a few others are giving these veterans a second chance. I still own a Gen. 1 Seiko RAF that Bobsy saved and posted about. I think he did a great job and am glad to own it and you have to give him a lot of credit for taking that on. I also owned the rare RAAF Omega retrofit that he saved from a parts lot so I also like owning other collectors rescues. My personal feeling is that a wounded warrior returned to active service as Terry is doing with his SBS is more desirable then owning the same as nos. These guys have earned their stripes and it's always great to read about another rescue. Keep 'em coming guys, it's one of the original reasons I joined this forum..

Konrad

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    I left my issued SBS alone as found and as it came from the person it was issued too.

Cheers,

Nick.
    Geez Nick, if you ever want to part with that please give me a shout..oh boy that's nice..

I'd have been inclined to re use the original dial too.

everybody would be asking what "RTZ" stands for on the dial

[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Those hands looks like they survived the flooding quite well and look to be very salvageable. How well did the caseback fare?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post

Cheers,

Nick.
    Your post with pictures of the cleaning process of the watch and band, is an all time favorite.

Rich

Thanks for your comments so far. I can see the point in retaining the battle scars because they reflect the military environment from whence it came and that may make for a better restoration in that sense. Stage 1 with the borrowed RND module was to get it going. Stage 2 could end up like this.

Dial - Replaced (The damaged dial is worth framing as is)
    Movement - Replaced
    Hands - Re use, the minute and seconds hand are fine, the hour hand needs cleaning, painting and lume
    Crystal - Re use the old crystal to match the bezel condition
    Bezel - Re use
    Crown - Re use

All I need is a dial and we will be good to go.

Terry

All these issued SBS', makes a man green with envy!

Very cool, Terry. Enjoy this new piece!

Myron

Post CWC SBS Resurrection - Stage 2

You may recall my earlier thread titled CWC SBS Resurrection Stage 1 which can be found here

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ighlight=stage

I recently acquired a mid 90s' un-issued SBS and transplanted the dial/hands/movement module into the issued SBS
    making the resurrection complete. I re-used the original crown but decided against using the old crystal as you have to
    draw a line somewhere between originality and practicality. Besides, I intend to wear the watch and want to see the dial.

Before and after pics to show it off.

Terry
    Last edited by dave; 07-08-2016 at 16:40. Reason: title.

Great piece! I'd like to find one of these. I'd offer that the original dial has a certain appeal to it as well, in that it got it's weathered looks from a decent amount of use. Whether or not that "use" was all that glamorous is another issue entirely, but would be a good conversation starter...

Terry, very nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by dcnanners View Post
    Great piece! I'd like to find one of these. I'd offer that the original dial has a certain appeal to it as well, in that it got it's weathered looks from a decent amount of use. Whether or not that "use" was all that glamorous is another issue entirely, but would be a good conversation starter...
    The original dial is shown in my avatar... too rusted to continue in service.

That looks great Terry

A lovely old SBS warrior like that deserves a second chance and I can appreciate all the effort having gone through something similar several times. The age of the lume and hands suits perfectly. It is sometimes possible to find a watch with a well worn case & bezel but have an excellent surviving dial and hands sitting inside..

Cheers,

Konrad