Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depollier...

Here is an advert I found for the first Waltham Depollier water and dust proof. Ad dates to 1918, and the second version looks just like the one from 1919 (advert below), but has "patent applied for" meaning the gold heat shield, while the later June 10, 1919 have the patent for this date for the heat shield.

Here is an Illinois Depollier with a key for opening the case. Thanks, Joe A.
     photo Depollier003.jpg
     photo Depollier004.jpg

...and a Waltham Depollier to go with the advert...Thanks, Joe A.
     photo IMG_1430.jpg
     photo IMG_1433.jpg

Those are amazing Joe.
    Do you think the coating is painted on, or could it be oxidized, as per the 1916 military specs?
    There has been much debate about this elsewhere, and tests done using Liver of Sulphur which gave very promising results.
    Cheers, Bob.

Hey Bob,
    I am not sure. Most of the examples I have seen have the coating/paint worn off. I had one that was almost complete. However all traces an all examples I have seen are consistent, so my vote is for the military specifications. If you have them, please post. I would be most interested in seeing them. Thanks, Joe A.

Thanks Joe for posting. I particularly like the Illinois Depollier - what size is the case?

Bobbee: keep those images coming - thoroughly enjoying the old adverts!

Joe, thanks for sharing some of your great pieces.

Sandman, the case is 35mm, without the flange to secure the crown. Thanks, Joe A.

Ken: Glad you like the ads, will post more Waltham and US ads shortly.

Joe: Here are the specs as I have them, sorry they are a little blurry. As can be seen, they call for an oxidized case. The only thing is, these specs appear to be for wristlet (p/w) style, and not true wrist watches. There are later revised specs in 1918 and 1920 or 21, but these are unknown at present.
    These specs are the October 24, 1916 revised specs of the original w/w specs adopted on November 3, 1914.

Official Specifications For Movements, Cases And Straps, General Specification 579D, October 24, 1916.

Some more US and Waltham ads.

This photograph I bought below is of a dough boy wearing what looks like, on close inspection, to be the cushion-cased Waltham Khaki in the last advert. You can see the correct strap, and the lugs look very like those on the Waltham.

Here are the full milspecs of 1917, concerning US w/w's.

I want one of those Depollier cases sooooo bad. Had the chance to get one many years back but the movement was broken and I passed on it because of that. DOH! And you'd scarcely believe the price I passed it at. On the plus side I have maintained my suppleness because of the many years of kicking myself over watches I should have bought…

I'm digging the Radiolite advert. Keep your glow in the dark watch under your pillow. Free skull Xray. Then again they were selling radium suppositories back then so the watch would be the least of your worries I suppose.
    Careful now....

Never mind G, maybe you'll get one yet.

Good find!

More Depollier ads, and a 1918 article concerning the mk.1 waterproof and dustproof model.

This thread makes me miss my Illinois Depollier sold it for some moving money before I moved to MT but it was getting no wrist time one of my museum pieces I use to call it. I finely got the movement running great and the locking crown working right who ever got it got a hell of a watch. That aircraft trade review advert never seen that model before.

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    This thread makes me miss my Illinois Depollier sold it for some moving money before I moved to MT but it was getting no wrist time one of my museum pieces I use to call it. I finely got the movement running great and the locking crown working right who ever got it got a hell of a watch. That aircraft trade review advert never seen that model before.

Thanks for looking RR, I would love to find one myself.
    The mk.1 in the above ads and article, was supposed to be released in August 1918, but has anyone seen an actual example?
    I seem to remember Stan Czubernat (Literustyfan) saying on another site that maybe it did not get accepted for reasons unknown, maybe a design failure?
    If this was true for whatever reason, and being as this advert Stan posted on WUS says that: "For the duration of the war, due to the shortage of high grade movements, the sale of this watch is confined exclusively to men in the Army and Navy", then sales would be very low.
    The ad says too that: "Deliveries of this watch will begin on or about August 15th."
    Maybe the delivery date actually got later, and the end of the war arrived before the watch actually made it to the shops? Who knows?
    We know from the adverts (below) that version we all know and love was accepted into the Signallers, but that was post-WW1.

The ad Stan posted on WUS, dated.

October 1919 advert showing acceptance by the Signal Corps.

Another very murky advert showing Roland Rohlf's altitude record wearing one of these Depollier cased watches.

Maybe Stan could clear up any discrepancies in my poor knowledge of this model? Hope he looks and puts us right.

Cheers, Bob.

By the way JoeA, or anyone with one of these cases devoid of original finish, it is easy to restore the oxidized finish as per military specs, and the specs in the advert above, "Waterproof, oxidized case".
    Just buy some Liver of Sulphur, cheap and easy to get, easy to use. There are many online videos and articles that show you how.
    Just Google "liver of Sulphur (sulfur).

Cheers, Bob.

Some more US WW1 ads, 1916, 1917 and 1918.

I have a WWI Pershing dialled Elgin that has lost its original black finish. Do you know if that would have been paint or liver of sulfur?