Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF NEWMARK 6BB chrono - pilot who died in the Falklands war

Post RAF NEWMARK 6BB chrono - pilot who died in the Falklands war

Hi All. I have bought an RAF Newmark 6BB chrono issued to Lt. G. Hawkins from his widow. He died in a Sea King crash during the Falklands war whilst seconded to the SAS on May 19 1982. It has been in a box with his other personal belongings for 33 yrs since he left it with a cracked glass and missing pusher before leaving for the S. Atlantic. One can google lots of information on this tragic incidence which is the single greatest loss of life post war for the SAS. A very poignant purchase. Whilst described as non-working on receipt I wound it up and reset the chrono and off it went. Have polished the glass but will replace it and missing pusher with a service. Gave the case a gentle tooth brushing. The Valjoux 7733 is shiny as new. Likewise the dial and handset are super. Maybe 500 issued so rare. With an added provenance. Cheers Ian.
    Last edited by dave; 07-03-2016 at 03:50. Reason: title.

wow that is a very poignant purchase indeed what a story. Its gems like this that make mil watch collecting so enjoyable. Joe.

Great story, great watch.

Fabulous story Ian with awesome provenance
    You seem to always find great watches-congrats

Nice find

Cool watch with history. To Bad the Pilot did not make it. Here is my only Falklands war story. When in the US Navy my first ship the USS Proteus AS-19 a sub tender was at Diego Garcia a Island in the Indian Ocean if I remember we lease the bases there from the British. Well a month before the Falklands War started we tended the HMS Sheffield it later got hit by a exocet missile during the war. Felt funny to walk on a deck of a ship that this happened to. I was in deck department and both ships were painting the sides at the same time. I remember talking to the XO of the HMS Sheffield on the liberty boat we were anchored out in the bay both ships were moored together and they used our liberty boats to get to shore. A few photo's in there memory in our cruise book.

Very nice watch, Ian. The condition is unbelievable, and I have to think that this brave pilot's widow is pleased that the watch went to someone who understands and appreciates it.

Well done and thanks for this great post.

Myron

IMHO the value in this watch is it's connection with Lt. Hawkins and it is very noble of his wife to pass it on to those who cherish such links.

Terry

Post FLT LT G Hawkins 6BB NEWMARK chrono - before and after - Part 2

Hi All. I recently posted up my purchase of the late Flt.Lt. Garth Hawkins 6BB Newmark Chrono who perished 19 May 1982 in the Falklands war. He damaged the watch before heading off with the SAS and died in the Sea King disaster with 20 SAS troopers. The damaged watch left behind in a box for 33 years. I have had the glass, mainspring and pusher replaced along with a service and here it is on a Jurgen strap. I am chuffed to wear it. Hope you enjoy the pics and poignant tale, regards, Ian.
    Last edited by dave; 07-03-2016 at 04:25. Reason: title.

It turn out nice

Splendid job great to see it back to its former glory

Great catch there Ian, very nice indeed!

Great looking results, Ian. Well done.

I was aware of this accident but hadn't read this account until just now - harrowing to say the least.

- Matt

Very cool history associated with that piece, looks good too. One of my greatest fears...

Really nice!!!

A stunner! Good job. Congrats.

May I ask who did the excellent restoration on this superb watch?
    Thanks

Good evening. Not much needed to be carried out. I cleaned the case with a toothbrush and white spirit. I sourced the generic glass, mainspring and pusher. My local retired watchmaker serviced the movement which only had 1-2 years flying time. The dial and hands had had no life. Saved by breakage and 33 years in a box. Beautiful piece. Of interest to those who collate serial numbers my only previous Newmark was 499/80. Regards, Ian.

How did you manage to source the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by springmount View Post
    Good evening. Not much needed to be carried out. I cleaned the case with a toothbrush and white spirit. I sourced the generic glass, mainspring and pusher. My local retired watchmaker serviced the movement which only had 1-2 years flying time. The dial and hands had had no life. Saved by breakage and 33 years in a box. Beautiful piece. Of interest to those who collate serial numbers my only previous Newmark was 499/80. Regards, Ian.
    Looks really great. Congrats.