Thread: Backpacking equipment

Default Backpacking equipment

Well just got back a week ago from a backpacking trip in the Carson-Iceberg wilderness in Calif. went with a old friend who I been backpacking with for years and the poor guy still lives in Calif. Well we went in for 11 days dam that's hard carrying that much food and gear on your back when your as old as me. Well I tried some new gear a Hammock with mosquito net and rain fly for less weight instead of a tent. Well there was still snow on the ground and you don't have insulation under your sleeping bag bad idea I froze my ass off at night to save some weight. One thing that worked when we hiked in snow that covered a lot of the trails so you could not see it I had Etrex 20x Garmin GPS with a chip of trails I installed in it even told you the elevation Highest we got was 8700 feet well that saved some time so we did not get lost a bit until we found the trail like I done in the past. A stove I use is called a jet boil light weight and two small canisters of propane fuel lasted the whole 11 days I used a lot of backpacking stoves until I found this one best out there I think and for water purifier a MiniWorks EX microfilter made by MSR easy to clean when plugged up and I used sea to summit water proof bag for gear I did not want to get wet worked OK. Here are a few photo's of the trip only parts of Calif I like is the back country no people.

Half Moon Lake still with ice on it.

Weird 70's with snow on the ground and I told you I was old we saw one other person when up there on our way out the dude was 75 years old and still backpacking he had more weight on his pack than me wonder if I will still be doing this at 75 ?

Has any one tried the Clark 4 season backpacking Hammock really like the idea my back did not hurt just want one you don't frizz at night when the cold come up from the bottom.
    http://www.junglehammock.com/product...mping-hammock/

I would try a nice layer of pine needles, probably get pitch on the hammock though. Maybe one of those thin survival blankets? Looks like the timber is doing OK. Maybe 55 years ago, my family used to take us up to Faith Hope and Charity valleys south of there. There were still log cabins with greased paper windows in those days. I shot a badger up there with my Ruger Bearcat. My recommendation for a backpack for you is in Modoc County. When I was still hunting, I'd go up there every year and shoot mulies. You could come from the Nevada side over the granite range through Gerlach and West into the surprise valley. Through Eagleville up to Cedarville CA. It is about 6 miles from Nevada and about 20 s/o Oregon. There is nobody up there until Sept and Oct when the deer season opens. Beyond that, you can camp up there on North Deep Creek and not see anyone for a week at a time. It is just too remote. There is a big wilderness area up there near Eagle peak. Old growth cedars 100 ft tall. No rangers, no bathrooms, no people. I don't do places with people. The creeks are within a mile of their source with the sweetest water just plunging out of the mountain. You can take guns up there and shoot, I'd take one just for the cats. You wake up and look across the dry lake and watch the sun come up on the mesa in Nevada. There aren't more than 9000 people in the whole county and very few on the Eastern slope of the Warners.

Dave when I saw all this snow and some creeks with more water than the last time I went backpacking in about the same area about 4 years ago before I moved out of Calif. I was hoping Calif. drought was over. But with all those fires I see going on the TV news I guess this wet winter was a drop in the bucket. We were going to go into Crab Tree trail in Immigrant wilderness but were told strawberry creek was to high to cross like in the old days when I use to backpack there were we once found a fallen log across it and got across it that way and to much snow the road to crab tree trail head was plowed just for one lane probably cleared now . So went up disaster creek trail instead in Cason-Iceberg wilderness

Great photos, thanks for sharing!