Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zenith "Yugoslav air force" EP 143-6 chronograph

A wonderful watch, story and time you took to document it all. Thanks for sharing!

Hi,

I can confirm the story of the YU-AVI assignation. I had 4 of these Zenith chronos and i purchased all of them from Belgrade.

Even if there is no solid (paper) proof of the official assignation (the same goes with the Heuer 1550 that was assigned later), it is commonly known among collectors in ex-YU states that these zenith were assigned to YU pilots.
    Here si the one I still have and preserve in my collection:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIKeNsAg...aken-by=jpgrom

Nice looking watch

i mention that in previous sales posts,but few memebers here say that is a nonsense,about story of Airforce.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ght=zenith+143

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ght=zenith+143

br ivan

Both Zenith and Heuer Bund are issued since they were ordered by the military and delivered to military personnel only (pilots mostly). They do not bare any special markings on the caseback (also the 1550 are plain and unmarked).
    The only YU-AVI issued watch that has markings is the Breitling Navi 2100. It is marked RV I PVO (ratno vazduhplovstvo i protivazduhplovna obrana - military aviation and anty-aircraft defence).

Here are all 3 (all purchased from known sources with military background):
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOKhCBgg...aken-by=jpgrom

yes thats true

as i know i only have papers of Heuer bund i mean heuer papers stamped in the army

some type of commision papers from Yugoslav army never seen before and all is genuine.

Hi,

Can you do me the favor of making a high quality scan of these papers? I'd love to have a good copy.

My best and thank you, Janez

Hi gentlemen, thank you for your comments.

If you have any documented provenance on the Zenith, it would certainly add value to the discussion.

JPThunder, your dial is a beauty.
    I'll answer privately on the rest,
    Best regards,
    S

Quote Originally Posted by JPTHUNDER View Post
    Both Zenith and Heuer Bund are issued since they were ordered by the military and delivered to military personnel only (pilots mostly). They do not bare any special markings on the caseback (also the 1550 are plain and unmarked).
    The only YU-AVI issued watch that has markings is the Breitling Navi 2100. It is marked RV I PVO (ratno vazduhplovstvo i protivazduhplovna obrana - military aviation and anty-aircraft defence).

Here are all 3 (all purchased from known sources with military background):
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOKhCBgg...aken-by=jpgrom
    Nice one indeed.

On mine, the dial has turned brown also, but it is less shiny than yours. Sylvie will post pictures and explain the slight dial variations that we have observed on these "Yugoslav" chronographs.

I have a question on the index of your watch, the inside of which is light brown. Is this a repaint after taking off the radium which has sometimes turned very dark and limits the visibility of the dial as a whole?

Hi,
    The dial has the original finish, but yes, the radium is lost to history. It has been taken off my Zenith by the ex-owners watchmaker many years ago. I bought it from the original owner who was not a watch collector.
    I look forward the information from Sylvie.

Quote Originally Posted by JPTHUNDER View Post
    Hi,
    The dial has the original finish, but yes, the radium is lost to history. It has been taken off my Zenith by the ex-owners watchmaker many years ago. I bought it from the original owner who was not a watch collector.
    I look forward the information from Sylvie.
    Thanks for your reply. Normally, if you take the radium off, you indeed get back to the original finish of the dial, which in this case is either black, or on a "tropical" dial like yours the same brown as the rest of the dial, but not a different color. You can find examples of this Zenith chronograph on the net when all the radium has gone.This is why I dare to think that the previous owner's watchmaker did not only take off the radium but very nicely repainted the inside of the index. No certainty of course, and in any case , it looks as a very nice job indeed, although I personally would have used the same color when reluming the hands. Just my opinion. Very nice chronograph anyway!