Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decline in interest…or what?

I think I completely missed the point of your post.

I really don't see a lot of gun only posts on the main forum, but there are indeed some with guns and knives. I personally don't see the problem with that as long as they are shown responsibly and not glamourised for the sake of it.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

have just reread the Main Forum introduction -

While not mandatory, images of guns, knives, and Ninja spikes in conjunction with your watches are highly encouraged...
    hmmm -

don't know about those accessories; could probably rummage up some empty beer bottles!

now off to google ninja spikes - before I lose interest again...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    We are not all well off or goodie two shoes...
    We do chase women and like to drink though.
    Maybe if the yanks did the same you wouldn't need guns! ;-)

On a serious note this site is still a great place to learn, but I think that the recent increase in price where military watches are concerned have forced a lot of the average collectors out of the market, which in turn has reduced the level of traffic on the forum.

I am sure this place will still keep going and you lot over the pond can keep posting pics of guns that we over here are not to even aloud to think about owning as the politburo has decided we are not sensible enough to own them.

All the best
    Over paid, over sexed and over here, right?
    It is a real shame that the firearms were removed from the British culture. They made some of the finest and for years were the tip of the arrow for target shooting. We yanks like our guns and while we may seem to be a pack of cultural asshats because of it, most of us just enjoy having them and poking holes in paper. Things are different here simply because of the size of the US. When I was a youngster, I'd come home from school and take a .22, pellet rifle, muzzle loader or bow and arrow and go hunting. Every day walking the fields, shooting quail, pheasant, rabbits, squirrels whatever. Nobody ever said anything about it and I always hunted on someone else's property. This served me well when I was drafted as I was an expert rifleman when I walked in the door. When I was about 16, I hung around with guys who shot big guns, Johnson automatics, Springfields, Mausers. G43s, Arisakas, one guy had a Swedish 20mm anti tank gun. There are forces afoot who want to take them away from Americans so they can have an easy to control mob of drones to fuck with and we are on the verge of losing them. It is a non stop battle of them vs us. Hillary likes the Australian model. Obama would just flat confiscate them if they would let him. Every time there is some incident regardless of who did it, it always comes back to a call for more gun restrictions. Cities like Chicago where there are the most restrictive gun laws in America, are blood baths. Dozens killed every weekend, in spite of strict gun laws. The 2nd amendment says that we can have guns that are suitable for the purpose of overthrowing a tyrannical government (which we have right now). But one wrong supreme court justice and it all is over. Sad really. There are too many kids who've never fought, who are spoiled rotten and love themselves a lot more than they love their country. As America degenerates into a pack of whining sobbing sissy/victims I suppose they will just hand them over and wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Over paid, over sexed and over here, right?
    It is a real shame that the firearms were removed from the British culture. They made some of the finest and for years were the tip of the arrow for target shooting. We yanks like our guns and while we may seem to be a pack of cultural asshats because of it, most of us just enjoy having them and poking holes in paper. Things are different here simply because of the size of the US. When I was a youngster, I'd come home from school and take a .22, pellet rifle, muzzle loader or bow and arrow and go hunting. Every day walking the fields, shooting quail, pheasant, rabbits, squirrels whatever. Nobody ever said anything about it and I always hunted on someone else's property. This served me well when I was drafted as I was an expert rifleman when I walked in the door. When I was about 16, I hung around with guys who shot big guns, Johnson automatics, Springfields, Mausers. G43s, Arisakas, one guy had a Swedish 20mm anti tank gun. There are forces afoot who want to take them away from Americans so they can have an easy to control mob of drones to fuck with and we are on the verge of losing them. It is a non stop battle of them vs us. Hillary likes the Australian model. Obama would just flat confiscate them if they would let him. Every time there is some incident regardless of who did it, it always comes back to a call for more gun restrictions. Cities like Chicago where there are the most restrictive gun laws in America, are blood baths. Dozens killed every weekend, in spite of strict gun laws. The 2nd amendment says that we can have guns that are suitable for the purpose of overthrowing a tyrannical government (which we have right now). But one wrong supreme court justice and it all is over. Sad really. There are too many kids who've never fought, who are spoiled rotten and love themselves a lot more than they love their country. As America degenerates into a pack of whining sobbing sissy/victims I suppose they will just hand them over and wait to see what happens.
    Is that what's called a "rant?" I wish it was possible to enjoy sharing my militaria and gun hobby without all the anti-Obama, don't trust the government, stuff. If you get my point....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Decline in interest…or what? It seems that most all the old time MWRines have drifted away...
    certainly don't think that there is a general decline in interest.

actually probably quite the opposite.

yes, times change and faces change.

people have moved on but many new members have also joined.

many of these are now excellent contributors to this forum.

just been looking at our stats and comparing them to some of the other watch forums.

they are pretty damn good!

and as off a few minutes ago -

There are currently 2438 users online. 356 members and 2082 guests

Threads 47,392 Posts 213,625 Members 22,177 Active Members 793

Quote Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
    Is that what's called a "rant?" I wish it was possible to enjoy sharing my militaria and gun hobby without all the anti-Obama, don't trust the government, stuff. If you get my point....
    Rant?? Actually it is a response to Sinnlover who is sad that his government took away the guns in the UK. And how California is now doing it to us. Nice Iver Johnsons.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Rant?? Actually it is a response to Sinnlover who is sad that his government took away the guns in the UK. And how California is now doing it to us. Nice Iver Johnsons.
    Ok, that's good.
    Thank you for your compliment regarding the revolvers, BTW they are Harrington & Richardsons. The one with the pointy little bayonet is rather hard to find.

Since very rich people consider watches as long time investments and have stated that it's cool to wear vintage watches, normal people are out of the game.

I'm quite bored to see watch collecting turning into a pure business activity.

I have almost 20 years of watch collecting, i'm not gonna turn to a sicura or seiko collector because of that. so even if the attraction is still there, i took a bit of distance with the watch world, mostly over the web. I realized that posting pics and talking about watches only makes more people interested in the same watches as me.

Still, MWR is to me the most interesting watch forum, with great and trustable experts in every type of military or related watches. You always find the best advice here.

unfortunately I think that you have hit the nail on the head there Paul and I am gradually coming around to your way of thinking with regard to sharing our hobby - it's a shame but that is what it is now coming to.

haven't been able to buy anything nice at a reasonable outlay for more than a year now - most interesting stuff has now long gone out of my reach.

perhaps I should drop whodonkey a line telling him about the merits of ATPs etc.

Dave, I fully agree with you. Have you looked at the prices of vintage Speedmasters lately? Why, WHY?!