Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decline in interest…or what?

Default Decline in interest…or what?

It seems that most all the old time MWRines have drifted away to parts and forums unknown. I wonder if even the site that doesn’t exist still exists?

An interesting - and seemingly accurate - observation Patrick. I've been here since the early days of the forum and have also noticed that a lot of the old timers have moved on. In seemed like the forum started with a diversity of interest in anything mil watch related - a lot of variety and a broad spectrum of new information to be shared. Then it went through a phase of interest in modding watches to "look" military around the time that Bill Yao was getting his start and Billy Schorr was reproducing olongapo bracelets. Those days were a lot of fun. Now the focus seems to have narrowed a bit to focus on the history and minutiae of issued watches. I supposed that as the focus of discussions has changed, some have lost interest while others have gravitated here due to the change. Its certainly been an interesting ride.
    Tom

We've been taken over by well off Englishmen....who drink and chase women...
    I think you guys are correct to a certain extent. I still find the truncated forum to be very interesting and informative. It just changed when all of the goods were either bought up or became very expensive. I am definitely not in a market that sells $25K watches. Look at it this way: how cool is Paul's thread on presentation watches? Or whats happening in an Afghan bazaar? We do need more gun shit to counterbalance the goodie two shoes from Europe who don't like them. Beyond that, press on.

Hey!!!!
    I'm still here!!!

I rest my case..
    Drew, I'm thinking of moving up to BC, any chance? California is like Poland now. They are trying to make it illegal to not believe the global warming scam.

Come to Tennessee...no state income tax and no global warming.

I haven't lost interest in my field (US Army, USAAF) but there has been a broadening of patterns and styles seen here. As long as they are truly military it was fine, but some are only tangentially so. On the other hand, there isn't a better place to go to get information, and I appreciate the efforts of the moderators in limiting the 'gee waddayathink woodinitbecool ifs', the 'too much money and no ideas' and the blatant self-promoters that had spammed up other venues. Given the summer pause, I expected a delay in some of the responses.
    Thanks for hosting a fine place for real information on military watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthanne View Post
    I haven't lost interest in my field (US Army, USAAF) but there has been a broadening of patterns and styles seen here. As long as they are truly military it was fine, but some are only tangentially so. On the other hand, there isn't a better place to go to get information, and I appreciate the efforts of the moderators in limiting the 'gee waddayathink woodinitbecool ifs', the 'too much money and no ideas' and the blatant self-promoters that had spammed up other venues. Given the summer pause, I expected a delay in some of the responses.
    Thanks for hosting a fine place for real information on military watches!
    You would have loved this place 10 years ago!

Come to B.C., .........& get taxed to death.

Last time I was up there I went out to the Island and stayed a week or so. It is mind numbing to go to dinner and have the wine cost more than the entire dinner. A case of beer was like $25, a bottle of Jack was $35. The value added tax was in full force in those days and when you reach that plateau of taxation there isn't any place to go for more. I love it up there, I don't imagine that the folks are in love with Yanks anymore. If I left a nice tip people would be pissed off.

I am also still here I am a die hard. Do miss some of the old timers that don't post any more were they use to came up with a issued watch I never seen before.

I've been lurking, but its been quite a while. Is Richard around anymore?

Just about everybody is gone. No Bob, Richard, Billy, Martin. I think ianp keeps it running. I sure do miss all the activity. The PX posts, the info, the tall tales.

I was away for some time, came back today for god knows what reason. So there you are. And BTW here is an image of guns, for the fun of it:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    We've been taken over by well off Englishmen....who drink and chase women...
    We do need more gun shit to counterbalance the goodie two shoes from Europe who don't like them...
    We are not all well off or goodie two shoes...
    We do chase women and like to drink though.
    Maybe if the yanks did the same you wouldn't need guns! ;-)

On a serious note this site is still a great place to learn, but I think that the recent increase in price where military watches are concerned have forced a lot of the average collectors out of the market, which in turn has reduced the level of traffic on the forum.

I am sure this place will still keep going and you lot over the pond can keep posting pics of guns that we over here are not to even aloud to think about owning as the politburo has decided we are not sensible enough to own them.

All the best

Yeah, I was here when the 2001 SAR first came out. It was better then for many reasons

I thought this was a military watch forum, not a civilian gun forum?

Quote Originally Posted by simonk View Post
    I thought this was a military watch forum, not a civilian gun forum?
    Probably why this was posted in the off topic forum.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

You like military watches weapons kind of go along with it. The military is taught to shoot. One of the things I was taught in boot camp I will never forget the re-chambered 22cal. 1911 pistols what do you expect from Navy boot camp . And most on the forum never post about guns in the main section to keep every body HAPPY and post it over here.

I'm more fond of the older military watches, such as pocket watches. I like older military weapons as well.
    For the heck of it, here is an image of an old Webley-Fosbery while being used for firearm forensic instruction.