Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London A-Z pub crawl

Default London A-Z pub crawl

Also known as the time I overslept on the train home and ended up many miles from home ....

I wonder how many of these pubs are still open. My handwritten notes in the right hand column are the names of the libations quaffed.

I found the list over the weekend when clearing out some old boxes in the garage. I've often told my families of this day as there were lots of memorable stories. In the days before GPS and smartphones maps and apps the London A-Z maps were the order of the day with lots of walking and tube travel.

Remember to drink responsibly folks.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

wow; think A - E would have probably sufficed for me.

otherwise would have probably ended up in A & E ...

the cross keys was a clever compromise; otherwise the white cross was a contender!

I was there in 1996. I had expected to find great beer but everything was 3.2 or less. The largest selling beer was Bud Ice because it was 5%. The pubs were required to post the AC of the beers on a chalkboard. I'm not a drunk, but I'm not a big fan of near beer either. In the states some states had clubs for 18 year olds where they served "Near Beer" which was 3.2. I happened to be in Piccadilly when a big soccer match was on and the tube belched out about 10K drunks onto the street and I could see what a genuine pub crawl was all about. It was cool, every pub full to the gunwales with screaming fans, four pubs to the intersection. I loved England, could have stayed for months if I could afford it.

Ian

The good news is that all bar The Green Man on St. Martins Lane and The Hand and Racquet are still open. The University Tavern is now called the College Arms, although most have been 'gentrified'.

Dave H

Real beer is about volume and taste not getting p1ssed quickly - at least that's how I like my pints.
    Which reminds me, its Friday afternoon - Cheers!
    Cheers

John (sinnlover)

Even a broken watch is accurate twice a day!

Epic list. Trying to recall what I was doing on that day in 1991.

However, I see your pub crawl list is missing the World's End

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Ian

The good news is that all bar The Green Man on St. Martins Lane and The Hand and Racquet are still open. The University Tavern is now called the College Arms, although most have been 'gentrified'.

Dave H

Real beer is about volume and taste not getting p1ssed quickly - at least that's how I like my pints.
    Which reminds me, its Friday afternoon - Cheers!
    Volume and taste? I assume that's why all the Brits were drinking Bud Ice @5%? I think it had a lot more to do with people heading for the pub and filling their radiator at lunch time than flavor and volume. The govt. decided that they wanted sober blokes for the afternoon shift.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Newcastle (it was really pricey over there) and drink it here. I spent hours drinking ales for two weeks over there. I'd really enjoy a fresh Guiness from the factory, but no plans to go to Ireland.

Ian.. I see that the last three pubs on the list has no beer selection written... was it at this point that the ability of sight and coordination left your body?

The Cross Keys is where I met forum member Kiwi not that long ago. Owned by Brodie's who have their own excellent microbrewery.

3.2%?? I can't ever recall seeing beer at 3.2% back in the UK, where on earth did you go???? Most bitters seem to sit at 3.5% - 4.0%. For the record, here is an ABV breakdown of Ian's epic crawl:

Ruddles Best Bitter 3.7%
    Marston's Pedigree Pale Ale 4.5%
    Sam Smith's (Best Bitter) 3.7%
    Marston's Pedigree Pale Ale 4.5%
    Courage Best Bitter 4.0%
    Tetley Best 3.8%
    Ruddles County 4.3%
    Websters (pre-1993 ABV) 3.8%
    Ruddles Best 3.7%
    Charrington IPA 4.5%
    Courage Directors 4.8%
    Young's Winter Warmer 5.0%
    Courage Directors 4.8%
    Young's Best (Cask Bitter) 3.7%
    Burton Ale 4.8%
    Tetley Best 3.8%
    Fullers London Pride 4.1%
    Taylor Walker (1730) 4.0%
    Courage Best Bitter 4.0%
    Ruddles Best 3.7%
    Theakston's Old Peculier 5.6%

There are some old favourites there, I really miss being able to go to the pub in the evening

Young's Light Ale 3.2%

LOL - wouldn't want to have to drink it though!

Ah, the giveaway there is "Light"

We still have a totally state-controlled off-license system here in Sweden. You can't actually buy anything above 2.25% in normal shops but have to go to the state-run Systembolaget......

And there aren't any decent pubs

The recent demise of the British pub is dramatic and sad: corporate ownership, property rents, fashion, competition from supermarkets selling cheap booze 24h/day in London. Great things about Britain: Pubs, BBC, NHS all under attack.

I'm also to blame, I do most of my beer drinking at home these days. This is the bottled traditional beer I keep comping back to http://www.timothytaylor.co.uk/beer/bottled-landlord/ less that 2 in a supermarket. A pint of beer in a pub in London is now touching 5. Used to be a time where there was no price difference.
    Law's in the wash this week

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoria View Post
    Ian.. I see that the last three pubs on the list has no beer selection written... was it at this point that the ability of sight and coordination left your body?
    Either that or I lost my pen

IAP

Please tell me you were on halves and not pints......

one of my old school mates has set-up and now running a brewery in Cumbria. Worth checking it out if your local, went to a party and he provided the beer, needless to say the Eden Fuggle Ale went down well, I never tired of drinking it, each gulp was heaven... this is there website

http://edenbrewery.com/pages/classic-cumbrian-ales

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Please tell me you were on halves and not pints......
    Nothing but the finest imperial half-pint glasses were used, except for when we quaffed from nothing but the finest imperial pint glasses!

We mostly drank half pints, with the odd one or two pints.

Oddly, I remember more of the pub crawl than the day after.

These days, I don't drink.

IAP

The British beer industry is doing very well at the moment. Breweries popping up all over the place.

Regarding TT Landlord: lovely beer, but far better on cask in my opinion.

My opinions were formed on a 1996 visit. I started in London, then on to Bath, North into several places that I loved (Wie on Tine or Tine on Wie??) Princess Di's family home, Sylvester Stallone was being married on that day. Off to Wales, Tried to find the home of the 24th Foot. North to Blackpool, off to Ediburgh (me mum's a Bruce) down to Hadrians wall. Duxford Imperial war museum, York (fabulous) A week in London at the Russell. Hit all the great museums except the R&A which I should have. Drank heavily all the time when I wasn't driving because I couldn't understand what anyone was saying and I attempted to understand how cricket was played. I actually grew to like cool beer instead of cold beer. It was not right to have to start of every pub with a couple of shots of brandy. There was very little good wine at that time, I drank mostly Spanish reds. Learned to love Indian food. Absolutely loved the UK. What a wonderful interesting place.

Tyne on Wear.

24th Foot - Rorke's Drift ??

IAP

Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
    Nothing but the finest imperial half-pint glasses were used, except for when we quaffed from nothing but the finest imperial pint

These days, I don't drink.
    I don't drink anymore, I don't drink any less either.......
    terrible joke I know
    Last edited by dave; 11-08-2016 at 08:21. Reason: fixed quote.