Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best submariner sweater?

Default Who makes the best submariner sweater?

North Sea Clothing?
    Silverman's?
    Other?

There's a big price differential between NSC and Silverman's and I think the ones Silverman's sell are actually the current issue.

The bay area gets the first decent rain shower of the year and your buying submariner clothing ?

Aero (leather) do some interesting knitwear - http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/p...?cat=aerocloth

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
    The bay area gets the first decent rain shower of the year and your buying submariner clothing ?

Aero (leather) do some interesting knitwear - http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/p...?cat=aerocloth

IAP
    It's not just the rain, but the cold Plus, we're supposed to be hit with the mother of all El Nino's this year

Thanks for the link, I'll look into Aero!

Personally, I like Guernsey jumpers.

Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

North Sea Clothing.

I bought one from Outdoor Knitwear in the UK. They supposedly supply the RN. I'm quite happy with it. Thick wool, good fit, and really keeps you warm. 69.99 + shipping.

I have a north sea one and it's one of the best piece of clothing i've ever bought. Well worth the money.

I believe that NSC does supply the R.N. The Sweaters, Jumpers, whatever you want to call them are Pussers Issue, although the tag would be different for a piece of Gov't issue Naval Kit.
    That would be the only difference. In Canada they run about $300.

When in the Navy I use to wear one of these under the camo uniform during the winter the wooly pully it's issued did keep me warm in the winter. about 200 bucks cheaper and made in the USA,
    https://www.marineshop.net/wooly-pully-sweater-500663

I still have a few of those, wearing the Navy Blue version right now while at work. Excellent piece of kit.

The north sea company jumpers are DEFINITELY NOTHING LIKE PUSSER'S OWN!

The current issue navy ones are certainly nowhere near as beautiful or lovely.

Very interesting!

North Sea jumpers also are a very different (old fashioned cut). I quite like them; but some people might not.

Got an ecru, blue & grey one. Very nice for Vancouver at this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    I bought one from Outdoor Knitwear in the UK. They supposedly supply the RN. I'm quite happy with it. Thick wool, good fit, and really keeps you warm. 69.99 + shipping.
    Hi all, upvoting this own thread as I am a long time lurker on the hunt for a submariner. I wanted to know, given that outdoor knitwear on other forums has been said to be the supplier for NSC, is the wool itchy/scratchy or more soft? I understand all wool *can* be scratchy, but there are really spectrums, and some are aggressively bad. Thanks for any details or insight! NSC looks beautiful too but may be above my pay grade especially when shipping from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by blenham_command View Post
    Hi all, upvoting this own thread as I am a long time lurker on the hunt for a submariner. I wanted to know, given that outdoor knitwear on other forums has been said to be the supplier for NSC, is the wool itchy/scratchy or more soft? I understand all wool *can* be scratchy, but there are really spectrums, and some are aggressively bad. Thanks for any details or insight! NSC looks beautiful too but may be above my pay grade especially when shipping from the UK.
    The Outdoor Knitwear one I bought is the soft(er) kind of wool and not the scratchy-type that feels like sandpaper. If I have enough time tonight (and if I remember!) I'll take a picture and post it here when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    The Outdoor Knitwear one I bought is the soft(er) kind of wool and not the scratchy-type that feels like sandpaper. If I have enough time tonight (and if I remember!) I'll take a picture and post it here when I get home from work.
    Thanks for the tip - photos would be great! I'm glad to hear they are soft(ish). The sizing is weird too, don't see a chart for sweater size, only chest size.

I have an Outdoor Knitwear "Plymouth", effectively a long-hem submariner with a Norwegian fleck. It's extremely good quality using fairly soft wool with a dense weave. It's warm. As for sizing, I'm 6" and usually take a 40"-42"; a medium fits me perfectly.

Default Submariner....

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I have an Outdoor Knitwear "Plymouth", effectively a long-hem submariner with a Norwegian fleck. It's extremely good quality using fairly soft wool with a dense weave. It's warm. As for sizing, I'm 6" and usually take a 40"-42"; a medium fits me perfectly.
    Check out Eastman Leather.....
    I have their U.S.N. GOB Sweater & USAAF A-1 Mechanics Sweater.
    Much better than Outdoor Knitwear.
    NSC is probably the best for Submariners, I also have their Brig (no longer available) & Shawl Collar Expedition.

Eastman are much better? I shall have a look. I know that they've been in business for years but I thought that they only did flying jackets!

I'm usually quite cynical with these kinds of things as it often turns out that one factory supplies several labels and that the label, and maybe some design details, is all that differentiates them aside from price. Have a look on *Bay for the Outdoor Knitwear shop; there are quite a few interesting items on there that must be production over-runs. Given that we're rapidly descending into winter here, there are some bargains to be had if you need thermal base layers!