Thread: New addition...

Default New addition...

Well, after about eighty hours of CNC (Crankin' 'N' Cussin' on a manual machine, none of that fancy computer control stuff here) my rifle is finished. First metal was cut on the 4rd of July, test fired on 26 September. Not to mention at more than a hundred hours of drafting and design work.

Pretty close to the drawing.

Rifle, 556.mm, T195E8
    Weight - 7.0 lb empty (approx) 8.0 lb with loaded w/30 rd. magazine and sling
    Length - 36 in (26.5 in, stock folded)
    Barrel Length - 6.1 in (6-groove, 1-7 rifling)
    And, it only has 93 individual parts.

Cool. Is the 80 hours for the receiver or did you do work on the upper also ?

Looks to be based on AR-15 parts, but a little different. Do tell more.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

very cool, that top rail reminds me of some of the Stoner automatic rifles.

It all starts with a pile of spare parts. This pile of parts plus a stock hinge, an AR180B front sight base assy, a trigger/hammer group, rear sight parts, the rail, some screws and a piston spring were all that not made (the AR180 piston & cylinder were not used).

First metal cut. Extruded structural aluminum tubing. I was surprise at how hard it was to find radiused corner tube in volumes less that a truckload.

The trunnion, if there is an E9 version it will have a steel trunnion. The treads were helicoiled, which became problematic in the thin side threads.

Trial fitting of the trunnion to the upper tube:

Trial fitting of the bolt/carrier/Guide rods in the upper.

And, the bolt fits like it’s supposed to. The lower is a chunk of 1.25" aluminum plate

It’s using an AR-180B bolt/bolt carrier so it needs a steel guide rail for the cam pin.

The receiver is starting to look more like a receiver.

The magazine well. That was actually less trouble than I thought it would be. A bit of hand filing though.

The magazine catch machined into the receiver. That was a bit nerve racking. I can’t tell you how many times I recalculated the position of the hole.

All set up for the cycling and feeding testing.

Lightening cuts complete. Still no fire control group pocket cut yet.

All machining complete at this point

Detail view of the lightening cuts.

Rear sight base.

The receiver after its protective coating of Duracoat. I really would have preferred hard anodizing, but nobody around here does that sort of thing.

The upper. The structural tubing actually was already Type III anodized, only it was Class 1 (non-dyed).

The handguard. You can’t tell form this poorly lit photo, but it is made from light blond colored phenolic. Very light and fairly strong.
    Last edited by lysander; 10-18-2015 at 20:33.

I keep meaning to build up a 308 AR from an 80%, but figure I'd screw that up royally so I doff my hat to your skills having built that up from scratch.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

I am it total awe!

That is the coolest thing I've seen this month!

Nice work. Have you fired it yet how well did it do at the range ?

Looks like a Daewoo at first glance but is anything but. I have an eighties SGW lower made from a billet of aluminum, the machine work is big time. The upper tube is what blows me away. Where do you find materials like that? It is all perfectly legal too. I ran into a guy at the range that had built an AK from one of those flat sheet metal receiver kits, it was pretty neat. Is the barrel pinned or threaded? Neat work.
    D

It has been test fired, but as yet not zeroed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Looks like a Daewoo at first glance but is anything but. I have an eighties SGW lower made from a billet of aluminum, the machine work is big time. The upper tube is what blows me away. Where do you find materials like that? It is all perfectly legal too. I ran into a guy at the range that had built an AK from one of those flat sheet metal receiver kits, it was pretty neat. Is the barrel pinned or threaded? Neat work.
    D
    The upper tube is, believe it, or not, a table leg.

While trying to find square, extruded, structural aluminum, tubing made from a known alloy (ie no scrap) with radiused corners in bite-sized pieces, I ran across a company that sells material for work table frames. They sell 1.5" extruded aluminum with 1/8" radiused corners, and hard anodized, made from 6105-T5, which is just a strong as 6061. Better still, they come in 36", 48", and 72" lengths that don't have to be shipped on a flat-bed truck (Everyone else sold it in 10 foot lengths.)

That looks great lysander, nice engineering, if it shoots half as good as it looks it will be sh#t-hot!