Thread: My 5th Winchester lever action... maybe...

Default My 5th Winchester lever action... maybe...

Hi guys...... the gun bug is biting again........

A few weeks back I was in the gun store where I bought my Sig P225, there was a used model 30/30 Winchester 94 on the wall with the other rifles....
    Being a lefty I had to have a look at it, I have owned 2 x Winchester 1892s in 32/20 and one in 44/40, a Winchester .22 9422 and an Erma .22 lever action.

This fairly late model 94 is in nice condition and had the top left edge of the action cut away so it ejects out more to the side and is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, but the price tag said 4000 kroner ($509.75)..... a bit too expensive I thought.

Today I went in to buy some more 9mm ammo (darn that Sig).... the 94 was still there so I asked the manager what his rock bottom price was to me was, he checked the PC on the counter for a while, looked up at me and said "2000 kroner" ($254.87).

Well, I nearly fell over because I thought he might only give me 10% off or something, but $254.87 for this?! It seems pretty good, but is it?

What do you guys think?

Cheers, John

stop teasing.....even considering the mods, it could be a fun one. That ejection was why a lot of people couldn't out scopes.
    What year is it? Post 64 weren't as nice as the pre-64 ones, in 82 they angled the ejection and this was partly to allow scopes, but in 96 they went out of business- I think they are made overseas now.

You'll be back buying even more 30-30 now.

Sounds like a factory Angle Eject to me. My opinion in the 80s they started to get their act back together re quality. Friend has a Big Bore XTR in .375 WCF, and it is quite a well made gun.

That would be a terrific price in the US. Very cheap for the gun. Whether that is true in Norway, I could not say.

To put the 2000 kroner price in perspective John.

Australian dollar prices:

$1500.00 http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/31...le_posted.html

$1775.00 http://usedgunsales.com.au/index.php?a=2&b=4050

$995.00 http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/31...le_posted.html

For that price you have a bargain.

Cheers

Murray

I helped a friend do an article a decade or more back for Gunblast dot com. Winter of 04-05 I think when I had 3 broken ribs.

It was on hard heavy bullet .357 by Buffalo Bore. We mostly shot it in revolvers, but the next door neighbor boy showed up with a brand new .357 Winchester in plain birch or beech.

It was an impressive little rifle, grouped well, reliable in our limited use. How many of the tang safety, plain wood, .357 '94s they made I can't say, but I suspect few. We had no idea Winchester was about to drop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
    Hi guys...... the gun bug is biting again........

A few weeks back I was in the gun store where I bought my Sig P225, there was a used model 30/30 Winchester 94 on the wall with the other rifles....
    Being a lefty I had to have a look at it, I have owned 2 x Winchester 1892s in 32/20 and one in 44/40, a Winchester .22 9422 and an Erma .22 lever action.

This fairly late model 94 is in nice condition and had the top left edge of the action cut away so it ejects out more to the side and is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, but the price tag said 4000 kroner ($509.75)..... a bit too expensive I thought.

Today I went in to buy some more 9mm ammo (darn that Sig).... the 94 was still there so I asked the manager what his rock bottom price was to me was, he checked the PC on the counter for a while, looked up at me and said "2000 kroner" ($254.87).

Well, I nearly fell over because I thought he might only give me 10% off or something, but $254.87 for this?! It seems pretty good, but is it?

What do you guys think?

Cheers, John
    When you drill and tap a rifle it loses a lot of its value in my opinion. I think some of these Winchesters had aluminum receivers (or was it just the .22?)
    That is a cheap price however. It would be a good one to keep at the house for any emergency. 30-30 is a very powerful cartridge, don't let people tell you different. The Eskimos kill polar bear with them. I've seen plenty of dead deer shot with them and it blows a hole the size of your fist in a deer. 150 yards in and it is deadly.
    D

Ok guys, of course you have read my mind... it is a great price and I'd love to buy it, I wish I could just pay and walk out looking like Chuck Connors but it is the same red tape story as buying the Sig P225. earlier this year.

There are two long roads to go on before I can get permission from the police to buy it:

A: Join a rifle club:, shoot at a range with borrowed rifles for six months, pass a shooting and safety course, then send a 'våpen søknad' (application) to the police...... (have to find out if the clubs even include this type of rifle, might be just target rifles).
    B: Become a registered hunter: do a 30 hour course with an exam at the end, pass a yearly shooting check at a range and if you qualify, send in a 'våpen søknad' (application) to the police.

So it's a long road whatever I have to do.... so I'm still thinking about it.

I told two friends who already hunt about it, one of them can send in a 'våpen søknad' right now for the Winchester and (with me paying) buy it. Then I can use it when I want, decide what to do later ('buy' it from my friend) and not miss out on it.....

I used to love just walking into a gun shop in Australia long ago and walking out with what I wanted!

Cheers, John

Hi,

these are not mods, some later 1894s came from the factory designed to eject at an angle and were drilled and tapped for scope mounts, two on the receiver above the chamber and two, (one on each side) at the top/rear of the receiver.

They look like this........

I'm still wondering if it's worth the trouble..... I really don't have time to go through the crap that it takes to buy it, and even if I pass everything the police decide to say that I can't own it.

I will go back and have another look today and take a few photos.

Cheers, John
    Last edited by Flightpath; 06-24-2015 at 22:33.

Just a bit of history on the later 94s....

1982 John Olin sold Winchester to the employees, it was then known a "US Repeating Arms Company (USRAC)
    1982 Side eject, drilled for scope mounts and cross safety in production
    1989 USRAC filed for bankruptcy
    1992 USRAC bought by FN Herstal (start of production with CNC machines.
    2003 Tang safety in productiom
    2006 Last 1894 made in the USA
    2010 1894 in production by Miroku, Japan

Cheers, John

Default I think I may be incorrect here, but ...

Are those marijuana leaves I see in the background?

Hi,

these are not mods, some later 1894s came from the factory designed to eject at an angle and were drilled and tapped for scope mounts, two on the receiver above the chamber and two, (one on each side) at the top/rear of the receiver.

They look like this........

I'm still wondering if it's worth the trouble..... I really don't have time to go through the crap that it takes to buy it, and even if I pass everything the police decide to say that I can't own it.

I will go back and have another look today and take a few photos.

Cheers, John

Just a bit of history on the later 94s....

1982 John Olin sold Winchester to the employees, it was then known a "US Repeating Arms Company (USRAC)
    1982 Side eject, drilled for scope mounts and cross safety in production
    1989 USRAC filed for bankruptcy
    1992 USRAC bought by FN Herstal (start of production with CNC machines.
    2003 Tang safety in productiom
    2006 Last 1894 made in the USA
    2010 1894 in production by Miroku, Japan

Cheers, John
    What a pain n the ass John. "Mother may I?" while your life is decided by some cop. Australia actually isn't far behind now. They've even banned the wonderful old SMLE. One nut goes postal and an entire nation pays the price. That is a dictatorship or close to it. In America we have 8K or so gun deaths a year and 30K+ killed by cars and nobody says shit about cars. 5K die every year from food poisoning and nobody says shit about food. It's always the guns. We have a mental health and stupidity problem in the US that needs fixing, but the Prince and his enlightened team of Harvard stooges don't mention that.

Not that this means much, but Miroku makes some of the finest firearms in the world. Browning has used them for decades.
    D

Hi,

Going by the serial number of the 94, it was made in 1990, so it was made by USRAC for Winchester, being a non-cross bolt safety model is a bonus and it's condition is really nice. The 'Ranger' was the entry level 94 but it's accuracy and handling is the same as more expensive models.

I read on the net that the 94s made by USRAC were well made and the non-cross bolt safety models are worth around 20% more than the later models with the safety.

By the way, the cross bolt safety was introduced in 1992, not 1982 as I wrote earlier.

If I do ever mount a scope on it I already have a very nice little Leupold 3 power (or was it 2.5?) stored away that I used on my 10/22 long ago, just perfect

Cheers, John

Nice John!

Cool Winchester use to have one from 1966 traded it for a pistol last year.

LATEST NEWS........

I have decided to bypass the Winchester.... just too much trouble & cost (have to be a registered hunter to get it costs around US$500) so it"s just not worth it.......

PLUS....

I found a guy with a near mint 1988 Colt Python 357 magnum 4" he HAS to sell, still working out a price but it will be under US$500!!

Will keep you posted.... John