Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-made DEF-3 / A.F.0210 / Type 37 pattern strap?

Another update: I contacted a couple of "narrow fabric mills" in the US. They can make 18mm width cotton webbing as thick or thin as I want, in any weave and colour. But . . . "we would have to produce perhaps 7,000 to 8,000 yards." (7000 yards is about 4 miles.)

Next step: cutting up some WW2 bags . . . . I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally, my wife thinks I've finally lost the plot and suggested I should be making straps for a straightjacket. I might yet.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Incidentally, my wife thinks I've finally lost the plot and suggested I should be making straps for a straightjacket. I might yet.
    Don't you worry Rev, we'll all visit you in the loony bin. Most of us will be in adjoining rooms so…
    Careful now....

If we're all sectioned together could we write to Rolex and ask for watches?

"Dear Sir We beg to acknowledge receipt of your order dated 4th August 2015, and in accordance with your instruction, we will supply you with the watch you requested. You must not even think of settlement during your present illness and incarceration. As we have now a large number of orders in hand for patients, there will be some unavoidable delay in the execution of your order, but we will do the best we can for you. Meanwhile, believe us to be. Yours truly Montres ROLEX S.A."
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

More E vicar?

Post I think that it is very important that we all keep taking those little Rolex pills

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    What happens if you take too many and overdose? Do you wake up to find a submariner strapped to your wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    What happens if you take too many and overdose? Do you wake up to find a submariner strapped to your wrist?
    As long as he's handsome I don't mind.

"More E Vicar?"

Update: mwr member Sinnlover (a name I struggle with, theologically ) has very kindly sent me some late WW2 bags in what I believe may be called Type 37 (or "1937 Pattern") webbing. I've also managed to get various samples of cotton canvas tape / ribbon in 20mm.

First off, a big thank-you to Sinnlover for his generosity. Very kind of you, sir.

Second, I won't embarrass myself by showing you my efforts but suffice to say that what I made wasn't useable.

The problems are that (surprise, surprise) David Boettcher was right: I need the webbing supplied in the form of pre-made cotton canvas tape / ribbon @ 18mm. Anything over that means cutting, folding and hemming -- which all adds to thickness, making those sections too bulky.

The good news is that I have got some decent NATO hoops / rings on the way and by tweaking the Padre's Prototype with this new metalware plus properly tucking under the foldover section I can get a pretty damn close replica of the AF0210 / DEF-3 straps. It's a good synthesis of the two. Having seen and handled those two I'm more than happy with it. The alternative is to order 4 miles of custom-made 18mm webbing after first deciding on thickness, weave and colour . . . .

I hope to have the first half dozen of these (provisionally called Deaf Stan's Tribute Band or DSTB) ready in a few weeks. The are based on cannibalising existing straps, re-working them to the right dimensions and adding the metal hardware. Because of this they will be slightly more expensive than if I had made them from scratch but I am aiming to be able to do them for 25 each.

I've been wearing my 18mm and 20mm prototypes for a while now and I really like them: breathable and soft, also machine washable and 100% cotton. I prefer them to a nylon NATO and even, in terms of sheer "forget-you're-wearing-it" comfort, to a leather strap.

Right, no more updates until I can put some in the shop window and get mwrines giving them the old "wrist test" (no, not *that* old wrist test)

OK, there has been progress on this front.

I managed to source some lighter NATO hoops in both 18mm and 20mm (many thanks to David Boettcher).

Then I had a play around with the fold-over section: under (looks tidier) or over (as per the DEF-3 rubric; looks less tidy and also requires tucking under and hemming, which I've not done on the example shown).

Then I had a play around with buckles: seems a shame to use a one-piece pull-through strap and then risk a spring bar failure on the buckle, so I've kept the chunky Rhino / ZULU style which is sewn-in. (Also easier and cheaper to make that way.) I think that's the version I'll stick with but people are alway free to change them themselves: a pair of pliers, a needle and thread and you can customise them any which way you want.

So, some pics. Here's three versions: two (18mm on the Omega and 20mm on the diver) with the folded section UNDER and the chunky monkey buckle; one with the folded section OVER and a spring bar buckle (18mm on the Smiths). It's the former that I intend to make more of, the one on the Smiths is just to show you what you could do if you wanted to play around with it.

I'm hoping to make 20 of each size over the Summer, or maybe 30 @ 18mm and 10 @ 20mm. They are based on cannibalising an existing strap which shouldn't affect the price (more expensive to buy but less parts and labour to produce so it's swings and roundabouts). Obviously I'd rather have unfulfilled orders than lots of these left unsold (and me be out of pocket) so If you want one please let me know. Price should be 25 each depending on cost of parts etc.

So: do we like them?

Hi Oliver

Please check your mail
    Good Luck
    James

"'Tis with our judgements as our watches: none
    go just alike, yet each believes his own."

Alexander Pope.

Oliver,

Can you make a 18 mm strap using Phoenix NATO hardware supplied by myself please? I'm not wrapped on the Rhino/Zulu hardware as shown on the Omega, too bulky IMHO.

Cheers,

Terry

Default A.F.0210 straps.....

The original A.F.0210 strap fits three of my watches particularly well....

The Jaeger MK 11.
    Smiths W10.
    The '56's.

And on the wrist..

Kind regards,

Nick.

Post A.F.0210.

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    The original A.F.0210 strap fits three of my watches particularly well...

one strap to rule them all
    one strap to find them
    one strap to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    in the land of MWR where the watches lie.

Looking good Revo, so much effort coming to fruition!
    Best regards,
    Sylvie

Ollie, these are looking great. Personally I like the "folded under" variety the best due to the cleaner look.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Andrews View Post
    I'm not wrapped on the Rhino/Zulu hardware as shown on the Omega, too bulky IMHO.
    +1 to this Terry... never been a fan of Zulus myself for similar reasons.

- Matt

OK, there has been more progress on this front - albeit delayed by a busy work schedule and my recurrent depression.

First, Sylvie has sourced some vintage / NOS 18mm webbing tape -- I believe it's from the Belgian army and was made in 1971 (as indeed was I).

It's very very good but it is about 3mm thick. Fold this over to take the buckle and then thread the tail-end through and you're at triple thickness: 1.2cm - and that's dry and slightly compressed. There's also the matter of hemming the end so it doesn't fray and unravel - folding over and/or tucking under will also double or triple the thickness. However, it might work very well with velcro or a deployment clasp or even the old double-d rings system you get on some crash helmet chin straps.

In other news, I *hope* to have 20 @ 18mm and 10 @ 20mm of the Padre's Prototypes available in a couple of weeks. I think I'll go with "under" rather than "over" as it's easier to do and looks tidier. Seeing they'll then be the final production version I'd better re-name them -- maybe the Deaf Stan 4?

Hi Ollie,

If you can do 18mm I'm good for two, maybe more.

cheers,
    Todd

Straps should be ready by the start of September. 20 x 18mm and 10 x 20mm @ 25 plus 2 postage.

Sorry for the delay = intermittent recurrence of my depression + summer holidays

Cheers

Ollie

OK, good news: by the end of this week I should have them ready.

I've got 20 in 18mm and 10 in 20mm, all at 25 plus 2 postage (UK)

"Fie! Pish and tosh!" I hear ye cry. "Why, this rouge priest promises and disappoints!"

No, I say, no and thrice nay. For is not a picture worth a thousands words? (And are not some worth a thousand pounds?) Very well, then I shall allow the picture to speak for me. Behold! A nest of vipers that I have, by the black arts and alchemy turned into canvas, with buckles and tangs where where once their heads and tongues were found. Snakes into straps is a difficult spell and that is why it has taken so long.

Excellent !
    Sign me up for 1 x 18mm please.

Cheers,
    Tom