Thread: I all most bidded on this WW1 1911

Default I all most bidded on this WW1 1911

I all most went to a local auction here in MT to bid on this but did not go I get into bidding wars and some times over pay or get stuck with junk. Well did some get a good deal or did they get stuck with junk.
    http://northamericanauctioncompany.h...?tab=0&cpage=2

It's an area I stay away from because there are a lot of fakes and these early non heat treated slide pistols really shouldn't be shot much. I know that I would wind up with an expensive fake with a cracked slide. Just not worth it for me. These are like Lugers used to be.

It looks like a re-blue to me. Keep looking.

I had a guy clarify the heat treated parts issue with these guns. Prior to the 1945 last batches, they only heat treated (hardened) the slide stop and the area around the notch for that part. It is the hardest working part on the pistol so that makes sense. They also opined that the Ithacas were the best made pistols, which surprised me since I had imagine Colt would be. My F. Bob Chow hardball gun is built on a 1945 Colt. Rat, you have an Ithaca, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I had a guy clarify the heat treated parts issue with these guns. Prior to the 1945 last batches, they only heat treated (hardened) the slide stop and the area around the notch for that part. It is the hardest working part on the pistol so that makes sense. They also opined that the Ithacas were the best made pistols, which surprised me since I had imagine Colt would be. My F. Bob Chow hardball gun is built on a 1945 Colt. Rat, you have an Ithaca, correct?
    I have a cir.1932 Hanford issued Argentinian Colt 1911 and a Remington Rand US Army 1911 cir.1944

Hello

I have a 1918 1911 Colt 45 and 1944 Colt 45 1911A1 ...Cool piece of history

Before the uk pistol ban I had a Colt 1911 in .455 issued to the raf

Quote Originally Posted by jamelee View Post
    Before the uk pistol ban I had a Colt 1911 in .455 issued to the raf
    Did you have to turn it in when the ban happened ? If so did they reimburse you the value of the gun. And being a piece of history wondered if they put some of the WW2 weapons in some of the museums once melted down that history is gone for ever.