Thread: Well I got a remington rand US Army issued 1911

Default Well I got a remington rand US Army issued 1911

When I went to the local gun store in town looking for some thing else I found this wished I did not but it's mine now. Issued around 1944 dam it's in great shape.

Wow, that does look to be in very good condition. When do we get to hear the range report ?

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Maybe tomorrow if there no wind and weather stays like it is today. We mite get snow on Sunday dam winter here already.

Looks like an Ithaca frame w/RR slide. Nice clean pistol. I need another. HS marked barrel?

Dave how do you know it's a Ithica frame
    FJA: Frank J. Atwood. Found on Remington Rand and Ithaca 1911A1s and his mark is under the slide release. And when I did a serial number look up the serial no are 1944 Remington I know they made less Ithica because those are hard to find so there serial numbers mite not of went that high.

Congratulations! That's a very nice looking RR. Oddly enough, I purchased one of its older brothers a couple of days ago. Mine was very late in the first (Colt duplicate) serial number range. It came from the estate of the vet who carried in in Normandy.
    Best Regards - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Dave how do you know it's a Ithica frame
    FJA: Frank J. Atwood. Found on Remington Rand and Ithaca 1911A1s and his mark is under the slide release. And when I did a serial number look up the serial no are 1944 Remington I know they made less Ithica because those are hard to find so there serial numbers mite not of went that high.

RR: 1944 1743847-1890503 were assigned to Ithaca Numbers 1890503-2075103 were assigned to Remington Rand. My source is "The Colt Automatic Pistol" by Larry Hacker. It isn't uncommon to find this in a rebuilt pistol and I assume that your gun is a rebuild. If you depress the FP and slide the firing pin stop plate up and out, a serial number will be stamped. If it is just a spare part slide no numbers. If these numbers match or partially match you've got matching gun.

The coolgunsite.com database shows serial numbers 1,743,847 - 1,816,641 assigned to Remington Rand in 1944. I'm pretty sure that Colt was the only maker to number the slide to the frame, and even they stopped doing so sometime in late 1943 or early '44.
    Tom

Oops - here's a link to the database. It has lots of good info for authenticating 1911's.
    Best,
    Tom

https://web.archive.org/web/20140629...olgunsite.com/

Thanks Tom. I have been looking around the web and apparently there are a lot of errors in Hackers little book. This is probably one of them. I can't comment about the SN# under the FP plate as I only have Colts and they have the number under the plate. This is a collecting area that makes Lugers look simple. There is so much to know and so much mischief that I stay out of it. We used to not even look at WW2 guns unless they were Singers or US&S. Now a really nice correct RR or Ithaca can be $2K + I know that I sure like RR's pistol, love to have it. My brother ran into one almost as good for $500. Turns out it was refinished and had incorrect spring retainer and slide stop and wasn't worth much more than the $500.

Dave this is were I got the info
    http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

32) Remington Rand: S/N 1,743,847 to 1,816,641 = 1944
    My serial no is 1,759,160

I just cleaned the pistol HS marked barrel

A few photo's of the 1911 taken apart

Was in great shape

RR, It seems that my little red book has a lot of errors in it. The frame is a Remington . Tom had a lot of good info on the serial numbers on the slide. High Standard barrels are favored, my F.Bob Chow target gun uses an HS. Looks like a very nice pistol. I'd like to find another that nice, it looks like a very low mile example. Bringing one into Calif is almost impossible now with the stupid "approved firearms" list they have now.
    D

Dave there was a seller at the cow palace gun show that all ways had a lot of military issued 1911's for sell. They were crazy prices a few years ago who knows what he is selling them for now. You mite check it out he still mite be selling there and there in Calif.

By coincidence the Cow Palace show is this weekend. Sacramento next weekend.

Unfortunately, the shows aren't what they used to be.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

I went to a SBU XI navy reunion in Reno last month just before the Calf boarder is cabala's sporting goods they have a gun room with vintage guns well I saw a Remington Rand with real high miles on it looked like the slide was sanded down to get rid of rust for the same price I paid for this crazy right. There was no finish left on it a beater.

It's beautiful. I recently saw a Remington just like it at my local gunstore here in Stockholm, Sweden. It had been sold five minutes before I came into the shop. The lucky guy was still in there, filling out his forms and formalia (a lot of that in Sweden). I cursed my bad luck and bought an early Springfield Champion instead. The guy, feeling sorry for me, gave me a real good deal on that iron. Just wanted to congratulate you on a great find. One of my grail guns, if there is such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Machetero View Post
    It's beautiful. I recently saw a Remington just like it at my local gunstore here in Stockholm, Sweden. It had been sold five minutes before I came into the shop. The lucky guy was still in there, filling out his forms and formalia (a lot of that in Sweden). I cursed my bad luck and bought an early Springfield Champion instead. The guy, feeling sorry for me, gave me a real good deal on that iron. Just wanted to congratulate you on a great find. One of my grail guns, if there is such a thing.
    We fill out paper work here also they don't want a felon to own one they also do a phone call and you walk out a few minutes later if they can do it that fast in MT I don't know why not in Calf were you wait a few weeks when I use to live there. The gun shows in MT are different not much of a check when I bought a mauser P-38.