Thread: Got my 1911 back from the gunsmith

Default Got my 1911 back from the gunsmith

Well when I got my 1932 Argentine Fed colt 1911 back the lanyard ring was bent. Well a friend tried to bend it back well it did not come out well snap off it went. Well I got one of those lanyard ring from Brownells and dropped it off at the gunsmiths well I got a call from the gunsmith he said he found a vintage mainspring housing with lanyard loop said it would look better than having a shinny brand new loop on and more easy for him I said go ahead not bad for 20 bucks I seen mainspring housing go for more.

Looks better with the lanyard loop so it look original. I also put on some colt factory grips I think it looks a little better

It looks great. Good decision to go for the used part. I love the grips. That pistols just looks great, I would never think of rebluing it ever. It is just worn enough to be a work gun and still looks very presentable. I used to keep a couple like this one for camping and a car gun (when it wasn't a felony) but like a fool I sold them off. One was a transition 1911/1911A1 Commercial looking very much like yours.

Beautiful pistol!

I have to agree, a beautiful pistol.

The mainspring housing is pretty easy to replace yourself with simple tools, but be warned that the spring inside is going to want to come out in a hurry.

Guess how I know that ?

This how to do it properly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yL3-sb9_Jc

Now get down the range.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Beautiful gun! You sure got lucky with the mainspring housing there - I could only dream of a gunsmith digging up a vintage part like that in dreary old Sweden...

Norway made these pistols during the war. I'd bet there are plenty of parts next door.

Default Here's the regular American made Colt commercial

They look amazingly similar. This one is a 1967 vintage, when Colt still had the old timers on the job making great guns. It has a royal blue finish like RRs. You'll notice the stippling on the front of the frame handle, the grooved trigger, the larger and much better safety lever. Beyond that they are the same gun. This is a working pistol, not a safe queen.

Good God, that's a beaut! I had a Colt Pyton of that same vintage, also in that deep, rich Royal Blue... They don't make 'em like that anymore!

True that. Never thought about it even. Thanks for the heads up.

Been checking out the 1911 forum lately a lot of those Norwegian issued 1911 been showing up see link should be more easy to find one of these in Sweden and I thought they were a rare gun in the US interesting thread how a US soldier picked this up and used it as his personal side arm in WW2 would love to know the whole story of how he got a Norwegian 1911 during WW2 a long way from Norway in another part of Europe.
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=471973

Weirdly, River Rat, I've yet to see one for sale. And I've been shooting and collecting for well over ten years. But on the other hand, I may not have been looking too hard. For me, the US 1911's have more allure, more "wonder", more magic. The grass is always greener and all that - especially when it is Olive Drab green. Plus, all the WWII movies Swedes my age grew up watching. There really weren't any Norwegian WWII movies. On another note, If you wanna see one now, check out Max Manus from 2008, it's a real good one.