Thread: GI issue multi-tool question…

Default GI issue multi-tool question…

In the early 1990’s (first Iraq war) was there a Gerber multi-tool that was as issue item. If so does anyone know what version it was (Gerber model #)? And did it have a leather or nylon sheath? Thanks

I have one at home.... is there a model# stamped on it somewhere? (I could look later) mine is the matte stainless model and has a black nylon sheath.

ETA well I don't know if they were issued during Desert Storm or when they started issuing them , but apparently it was just called the Gerber Multi-Plier, then it morphed into the black MP600 that is issued now.
    Last edited by tmpass; 06-13-2014 at 07:27.

I remember them, I believe that they were a local purchase item that the unit commander would decide upon. Some of the pilots and a few others (myself too) were given ones with leather holders, though. I don't know if they ever made it to NSN-status. There were a lot of things being bought from mail-order catalogs using discretionary spending, so much so that we were given warnings about it, while advance party in the middle of the desert, I had a whole cargo trailer full of shipments waiting on main body.

I worked quite a bit in the early 2000s with both a USAF vehicle maintenance outfit, and a US Army combat engineer outfit. Multitools were prevalent in both outfits.

Provision was the same in both outfits. On completion of training, the service man/woman was sent to clothing sales with an allowance, and had a choice of a Gerber, SOG or Leatherman. The Gerber seemed to be the most common.

One Army Engineering 1st Lt. with a West Point ring told me the most useful gear he has in Afghanistan was 4x4 ATVs, and multitools.

A good friend recently retired from his civilian administrative position with an Army Spec War rotary wing unit. He noted the Leatherman Wave was available in the unit, but no idea if it was a unit purchase, or if it was obtained from Quartermaster stores.

The Gerber multi tool was issued to Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan in 2009 as part of their RFI (rapid fielding initiative) draw. I still have mine. It is currently issued as part of the large(?) weapons cleaning kit. It is probably issued in other instances, too, but these I can attest to first hand. The one issued in '09 came in a sheath supplied by Tactical Tailor. Or at least the sheath had TT's MOLLE securing strap.
    MWR member since 2000.

Here's a shovel for you: