Thread: Canik TP9?

Default Canik TP9?

$300 bucks for a reliable pistol?

Too good to be true?

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2012/10/1...55-tp9-review/

I'd gladly pay the extra hundred bucks or so and get a new Glock. Guns last a lifetime. What's a hundred bucks spread out over several decades?
    the Order of the Escopeta Recortada with Crossed Grappling Hooks

I wouldn't bet your life on it. Get one of the pistols that it is knocking off like a Walther PPQ M2.
    Last edited by Cheshire-Cat; 05-31-2014 at 02:59. Reason: Steyr FAIL

It would be nice to see the slide off and view the inside parts. Probably a lot of sheet metal stampings. I wonder how this would do after a couple thousand rounds through it? Turks do make fine pistols. If you offered me this or a CZ75 I'm choosing the 75 every time.

Aren't Glock 17's trading at about 600 bucks? BTW, I really like the Glock. And the availability of parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-DJbuBUEA
    Last edited by Cheshire-Cat; 05-31-2014 at 02:58. Reason: oops. undo. see reply

I think Bob is thinking of LE-only pricing.

KC Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns John L's Avatar

Us regular folk gotta pay full retail. Bob, I'm fairly sure get's a LEO discount just about anywhere he wants to buy from.
    First ever recipient of the:
    Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns
    As Graciously Awarded By Senior Sapo Of Toad Hall, Comandante Caudillo

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

A smoke filled room in a corner basement.

Even if you're not eligible for the MIL/LEO/Public Safety discount from Glock, there are plenty of them to be found for well under $600. Here's a new TALO G17 just up the road from Rafael for $470.

GLOCK 17 9MM 17RD TALO EDITION LifeTime Warranty

"I'm tired of having to decide between stupid, evil and doesn't stand a chance."

If you are going to get an inexpensive gun, learn how to tweak them to ensure reliably.....

And, use the savings to get more ammo to practice with. Even a match grade M1911 is useless if you can't keep all the holes in the black at 25 meters.

Default I agree with Bob about pricing

Buying a cheap pistol or rifle is really false economy. You lose in the quality time when you use it and you lose big time when and if you can sell it. If a cheap plastic gun sells for $400 you are 2/3 of the way to a very nice well known reliable weapon, why not take the last step and do it right? If you just flat can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying anyway. Consider the Python, 5 screw S&Ws and commercial Colt 1911s. These great guns were selling for $250 25 years ago, now they are worth at least three times that much maybe even four times. You would not get that kind of lasting value with a cheap off brand pistol. They stopped making guns like those and never will again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Buying a cheap pistol or rifle is really false economy. You lose in the quality time when you use it and you lose big time when and if you can sell it. If a cheap plastic gun sells for $400 you are 2/3 of the way to a very nice well known reliable weapon, why not take the last step and do it right? If you just flat can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying anyway. Consider the Python, 5 screw S&Ws and commercial Colt 1911s. These great guns were selling for $250 25 years ago, now they are worth at least three times that much maybe even four times. You would not get that kind of lasting value with a cheap off brand pistol. They stopped making guns like those and never will again.
    Cheap is one thing. Inexpensive is another....

Yes, a cheap Jennings will never be anything other than a cheap pistol. But, an inexpensive pistol from a company with a fairly long history in the arms business, will be reliable out of the box, and you will be able to polish out any rough spots and have a pretty nice weapon.

You mentioned up there, you'd rather have a CZ-75, than a TP-9. You forgot that when CZ's first hit the streets in quantity, back in the very early 1980's they were viewed as "foreign crap from a near third-world country", and they were priced (% relative to the 'good' brands) about where Caniks are now.

Canik TP-9 is a copy of the Walther 99 design, and is made the same way a Walther P99 is, and it has the exact same "mass of stampings" the P99 has.... From what I've seen, they are quality-wise in the same ballpark as all the CZ clones out there, to include the Tangfoglio, Jericho, EEA Witness, and the Springfield offerings. Not in the same quality ball park as a 1956 Smith & Wesson M & P, but then, I don't think current production Model 10s are in that ballpark either....

The only way to really be sure you have a good reliable weapon is to test it, after all, the great name of Smith & Wesson made some crap automatics not too long ago, and still might, I stopped looking after I saw the quality of the 469 in relation to the price....

Thanks, guys.

Reminds me of my Steyr M9A1 cross a Walther P99