Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any of you belong to any gun forums

Default Any of you belong to any gun forums

Well I belong to many watch forums I just joined my first gun forum. The 1911 forum dam some one beat me to my user name I use every were so I had to come up with another one. And they don't trust me yet a mod got to inspect my post before it shows up on the forum I guess it stops spam. Picked this one since I am into vintage 1911 and who knows I mite pick up a Rand one of these days. I could of picked up a issued Rand not in bad shape for 1600 in Nevada they would of shipped it to Montana to a gun shop in my town the last time I went through Nevada a few weeks ago I think I messed up on that by passing on it.

I vist several, but I only participate on m4carbine.net
    Last edited by Cheshire-Cat; 05-24-2014 at 20:04.

Wait.... isn't this a gun forum?
    the Order of the Escopeta Recortada with Crossed Grappling Hooks

Say what? I never noticed...

calguns.net would be about it
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

KC Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns John L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Wait.... isn't this a gun forum?
    Then I guess this is the one and only I visit, and am damn proud to be here!
    First ever recipient of the:
    Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns
    As Graciously Awarded By Senior Sapo Of Toad Hall, Comandante Caudillo

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

I have read a number of threads on various gun fora.....

The total amount of conjecture presented as fact, lack of technical understanding of the subjects, misinformation, brand snobbery, stupid comments and other bull, kills any desire to participate.

Some of the guys do know their stuff, but in general, I'll just let them live in their fantasy world where Carpenter 158 is infinitely better than 9130, and anything made from 6061-T6 is crap.....

Lysander, I very much value your participation here. Likewise, I try to temper my own responses to that which is gleaned from personal experience, rather than what I see in the latest full color advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    I have read a number of threads on various gun fora.....

The total amount of conjecture presented as fact, lack of technical understanding of the subjects, misinformation, brand snobbery, stupid comments and other bull, kills any desire to participate.

Some of the guys do know their stuff, but in general, I'll just let them live in their fantasy world where Carpenter 158 is infinitely better than 9130, and anything made from 6061-T6 is crap.....
    the Order of the Escopeta Recortada with Crossed Grappling Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Lysander, I very much value your participation here. Likewise, I try to temper my own responses to that which is gleaned from personal experience, rather than what I see in the latest full color advertisement.
    I also see much of the same on watch fora, I think it is the nature of on-line fora. The big difference is on gun boards, if you can tick one of these boxes - you are an LE/military (current, not, was a few years ago)/"operator", can shoot five X-rings in a row, or have a post count higher than anyone else, you are classed as an subject matter expert, even if you have zero technical/engineering knowledge, or even a good understanding of what happens between pulling the trigger and a hole appearing in the target; on watch fora, the SMEs tend to have shown through intelligent posts or other displays of knowledge on the subject, they know what they are talking about.

But, as I recall, even before the days of the 'inter-web', talking about guns and weaponry with people as always been difficult due to the fact that the operation of a weapon is an engineering discussion, operating a weapon, is not. Even when only discussing stuff from a personal experience level, with someone that is not trying to be difficult, you can wander off into misinformation land, as the statistical sample is far to low to be representative of the whole and there is no 'scientific control'. Two examples:

1) In ten years in the Army, I never saw on the range anyone that had chronic malfunctions of an M16 (M16A1 and M16A2) that was not attributable to 1) user error, or 2) a bad magazine. And, in fifteen years of general rifle shooting, I have seen several malfunctions of M1s, M1A and M14, the causes of which I never found out. Therefore, I could conclude from my experience that an M16 if far more reliable than Mr Garand's design....

2) In high school, I had a friend that swore up and down that an M1 carbine round had better penetrative ability at all ranges than .30 caliber, Ball, M2. This was based on the fact, that he shot an 8" pine tree at 100 yards with both and only the carbine bullet passed through. He showed me the tree...

In both cases, experience is skewed due to the caveats, you may not have noticed mentioned. In the first, I was either the range safety NCO or recruit that zeroed/qualified fast enough to get drafted into helping the DS teach people how to shoot, so I was able to sit down with the malfunctioning piece and figure out what the problem was, in the latter, it was at a match or other shooting line where I was just a participant and was never privy to what the cause was, they could have been ammunition (a lot of reloads at matches, most times real good, sometimes it's a mixed bag), magazine, poorly maintained rifle (you really do need to clean stuff every now and again, even an AK), or whatever.... So, are all those tests reports I have read that gave the M16 platforms a higher mean rounds between failures than anything else just lying, or am I mistaken?

In the second, first, it's a statistical sample of one, second, at 100 yards an M2 bullet has not completely stabilized and is still yawing about the axis of rotation, it tends to jay on impact with soft(ish) matter, the carbine bullet with its CG far forward does not tumble to any appreciable degree. But, shoot both at a 1/4" mild steel plate and see what happens.

The beretta forum!

I participate on several of the Carbine and Garand forums. A well known guy in the carbine world opines that forums are "poison" and he's not far off. The main theme of both is what parts are fake and what parts are real. These guys collect milsurp rifles so they can swap parts and make them "Correct". The carbine suffers badly because every part (except those that are too small) is coded by contract company and original assemblers. Trying to make a 70 year old weapon correct in a universe of 6.5M examples seems pretty stupid to me. The old M1 forum used to have a lot of information by a guy named Gus Fisher who was a USMC armorer. This guy would give really interesting valid information about how to make the weapon shoot better. Beyond that, it is just about what is the correct trigger housing for a 1944 Standard Products or some other blather. Not compelling information. Both are full of self proclaimed experts which is tedious.

I'm in the S&W and Walther forums. not very often there nowadays though.

-John

Hi River Rat;
    I've been a member of that forum for years under the name Tom S. Lots of good information there. I'll try to post up pics of my Rem. Rands for you sometime.
    Best - Tom

There are GUN forums?!

I forgot I registered with AR15.com years ago when I built my first AR. I went back and my login still worked so I've been browsing a few topics over there again.

I'm under username jdllizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    There are GUN forums?!
    I think he is pulling our collective legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire-Cat View Post
    I think he is pulling our collective legs.
    LOL, Ya I kinda picked up on that.

Who *likes* guns. Retarded.

Canadiangunnutz.com is where I spend most of my time.

I go to AR15.com for the retro forum and the equipment exchange (which is run rather tightly), I've even picked up a few watches there.

Anything else over there is pretty much a free-for-all stomping ground.