Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium stove: Ninjas gotta eat ...

Default Titanium stove: Ninjas gotta eat ...

Hi gents,

I hope everyone feels this is the appropriate spot for this short review. If not, Carlos can move it elsewhere!

I have a number of decent camping stoves, from a Coleman 3 burner full size stove to a mid-size Kelly Kettle. I recently stumbled upon the Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove, and was impressed with its weight, size, and ability to handle small jobs with very little fuel found everywhere, even here in the high desert.

The Vargo stove is made of titanium and weighs in at 4.1oz! It folds flat and is inserted into a small 5" hexagon nylon carry envelope.

Setup is simple, with unfolding the panels and inserting the two tabs at the bottom. The stove, when assembled, forms a conical shape which helps direct the heat / flames upward. One panel is hinged to form a small door, giving access to feed the fire. The small V notches at the top allow the fire to spread out around your pot / container.

The stove is quite small, and requires very little fuel. I found that the smaller the wood I used, the easier it was to keep a high flame going. Anything beyond the thickness of a finger was too larger and took too long to really do much good. A few downed branches were able to bring 18ozs of water to boil in a matter of minutes.

As one would expect, that little door gets HOT ... so use a stick or your knife to open and close when feeding the fire.

My first attempt at posting video ... a nice quick boil for a cup of instant Starbucks french roast.

If you've been looking for a light weight stove that you can toss into a day pack, gear bag, or BOB, I'd highly recommend this little fella. I hope this was of interest. Kind regards, B.

All cool gear is welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire-Cat View Post
    All cool gear is welcome here.
    Carlos, please be sure to email me about BRS requirements, assignments, and patch design. Once we have a draft for those we can finally start our recruitment drive.

Enjoy and best regards, B.

I'm thinking the Magpul "China Doll" would be a fun basis for a patch design.

Default Billy: That is a great little item

It is always easy to find small dry fuel in a forest even in rain. I wonder about the price? Considering that a golf driver uses about $60 worth of titanium, this thing must cost a pretty penny huh? How steady is it on dirt with a load on top? It looks like it would be very secure. Thanks for sharing.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    It is always easy to find small dry fuel in a forest even in rain. I wonder about the price? Considering that a golf driver uses about $60 worth of titanium, this thing must cost a pretty penny huh? How steady is it on dirt with a load on top? It looks like it would be very secure. Thanks for sharing.
    D
    REI is selling them $59.95 and being a member I had a credit and bought it when a membership sale came up recently. I spent $24 including shipping and thought it was well worth the money. As long as you brush a small patch of dirt for the base you won't have any trouble at all. Even loaded with fuel and full container it retains a low center of gravity and seems very stable.

I'll be looking for a tall titanium nesting cup to replace the stainless one I have paired with my Nalegene bottle. Saving space w/ the stainless is terrific, but moving to titanium will drop more weight in my pack which is something I'm always working toward.

Here's a link to the stove on REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/829302/va...ing-wood-stove

Thanks and best regards, B.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire-Cat View Post
    I'm thinking the Magpul "China Doll" would be a fun basis for a patch design.

Love it! Let's get to work ... prototypes should be ready in less than a month! Long live the B.R.S. Email returned.

Best regards from N.M., B.

Come on, everyone knows ninjas live off cold rice balls....

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Come on, everyone knows ninjas live off cold rice balls....

But what's a cold rice ball without a steaming hot cup a ocha?
    the Order of the Escopeta Recortada with Crossed Grappling Hooks

Default What is that...

wicked looking axe thing?

Patrick, the axe is one of a few I have on hand for various tasks. I particularly like this one due to its long 18" handle and light head (which still provides a 4"+ cutting edge). I'm guessing this one is just a touch over 1lbs.

Here it is amongst its brothers (right to left): maul, cruiser axe, boy's axe, ??? not sure what to refer to this one as (gift from a friend), Winkler camp axe. Yardstick in photo for size reference.

Thanks and kind regards, B.

Billy,
    I think this cup will nest on a nalgene. I've got one and Evernew is know for a quality product.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AD3WOW/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

However, you can ditch a surprising amount of weight be losing the nalgene altogether. I think a 32oz nalgene weighs a little over 6oz's dry. Smartwater bottles are really popular as well as water bags like the Sawyer squeeze bags and filtration systems.
    The Sawyer bag and filter weighs about 3oz and the filter is good for about 1,000,000 gallons.

I've gone to a Trangia stove and titanium clikstand base. It's pretty bomb proof and I like the military aspect of the stove and personal kit.
    http://www.clikstand.com/index.html

Default All that’s needed now…

is that titanium folding spork. The image of which is still etched in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    is that titanium folding spork. The image of which is still etched in my mind!

Default Well sorta...

The Billy knows but if he doesn't remember PM me your email and I'll email you the image that's "still etched in my mind"! I'll be back Monday and then you can post it.

I been backpacking for years here is the one I use. And been through a bunch of stoves and most did not last broke or were just no good. Here is one that lasted one can of propane fuel will last a week or more water boils in about a minute I got a older model I hear the new models start more easy in cold. Any one used the jet boil have one of there older model's for about 5-7 years and every thing packs into the pot. You don't even need a match has a push button spark to start. I guess every buddy has there favorite stove the jet boil is mine.
    http://www.rei.com/product/813622/jetboil-sol-stove
    Last edited by river rat; 05-14-2014 at 07:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The Billy knows but if he doesn't remember PM me your email and I'll email you the image that's "still etched in my mind"! I'll be back Monday and then you can post it.
    Best spork ever!

Default That’s the one!

Dining at its finest!

KC Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns John L's Avatar

I'd eat that...errrrr, I mean I'd eat with that.
    First ever recipient of the:
    Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns
    As Graciously Awarded By Senior Sapo Of Toad Hall, Comandante Caudillo

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.”

I have a jet boil that's great but I would love to have one
    of these too for the found fuel.Thanks for the tip.