Thread: Disposal of Surplus British Military Timepieces

Default Disposal of Surplus British Military Timepieces

Reproduced below is an article on surplus military timepieces which appeared in the April edition of the British Horological Institute Journal (www.bhi.co.uk).

As with Zulu Time: Development of the British General Service Wristwatch, I am indebted to Dr Konrad Knirim for generously providing many of the photos used in the article.

If you would like to receive a PDF copy of the article, please PM your email address.

Best regards
    Ken

Default Great Job Ken...

One for the archives for sure!

Fantastic. I had originally assumed that the JLC 6B/159 would have been the most expensive, but there you go.

The price list also suggests that the Ebel, Movado and CYMA navigator models must have all been re-graded as 6B/234 (as opposed to the other suggestion sometimes mentioned, that they were re-labelled due to return for repair).

great!
    my former login id : Dijeridu

Default More Surplus Stores…

Controlled Surplus Stores – Clocks and Watches Order (11 March 1946) & Revocation Order (1951):

Extracts of Surplus Stores Catalogues & Omega hang-tag:

Selection of Stopwatches…

Well done Ken, good to see you had the article published in the BHJ, it certainly establishes you, putting your footprint well and truely amongst others like Adrian v.d.Meijden, Konrad Knirim etc.

Best Regards

Jimmy
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Default A relic of one of those disposal auctions...?

Great work again Ken. I believe this 1/5 SEC Stop Watch to be one of those referred to in the WWW article by T Koenig/A v der Meijden, which also touches on the subject of post-WWII disposals: '... and 16, 000 stop watches, 6B/221, RAF (3/4 of them unused) were auctioned within only a few weeks'. The very high serial number and complete packaging suggest that this 1943 6B/221 was probably one of the unused...

.. and, for good measure, a 6B/140 11-jewel ('split seconds') stop watch, also sold as surplus:

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Default Great stuff Ken

I enjoyed that immensely. Especially noteworthy was seeing the price lists and what really caught my eye was seeing that the Longines was the most expensive. These figures then seem to point at partly why the decision was made after the war to have both Aussie & RAF re-cased. Not just for the sake of recycling valuable assets but also taking into consideration the archival RAAF memorandum dated late 1945 you previously posted, discussing the problems with base metal cases rotting from use/climate and re-casing these into stainless steel cases.

I have to wonder then at the logic of RAAF Longines being re-cased into a smaller and somewhat inferior snap-back stainless case, when the cheaper RAAF Omega got a whopping nice big screw-back case with a bezel very much much like the JLC, which includes the profile of the notched back and the style/font of the markings..essentially they cheaped out on the Longines and spent the $$$ on the Omega..

Cheers,

Konrad

Ken,

Another well researched and interesting article. Thank you for sharing it with us as many may not get to read the BHI.

Great work.

Terry

Default Outstanding Ken!

You've done another fabulous job!

I really enjoyed reading your article and learnt heaps.

Thank you!

Kind regards

Chris
    Melbourne, AU

Default 1946 List of Surplus General Service Watches (by make)

The following images are copies of 1946 British military documents which list surplus GS watches by make. I'm sure this will be of particular interest to the mil pocket watch collectors and will help to identify some of those "unknown make" watches.

Enjoy, Ken

PDF Version - Surplus British Military Timepieces

Thanks for hosting Ian.

Ken
    Last edited by ianp; 05-20-2017 at 21:23. Reason: Links

Are those links working for anybody?...They lead to nowhere for me and the last has:
    404: Page Not Found

This page does not exist
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

...merci beaucoup Monsieur
    Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for reposting - Top notch as usual Ken

In Ken's post '12' above; the documents refer to Ingersoll watches VC.7220 V.7749. I presume 'T.P' is stock commercial or Trade Pattern pocket watches... but what of the 'W.T' (W/T wireless telegraph... or something else)?.. Anyone?!

Longines being the most expensive
    There could be an argument to say the Longines Weems is also the prettiest. Though I'm not sure what relevance that has in a military context.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenellic2000 View Post
    I presume 'T.P' is stock commercial or Trade Pattern pocket watches... but what of the 'W.T' (W/T wireless telegraph... or something else)?.. Anyone?!
    my interpretation is that they are all GS watches - that is general service.

T.P. is probably a stopwatch or a timer.

Taylerson makes this reference -

Watches, Non-Magnetic, W.T.
    This instrument appears to have been promulgated by Paragraph 23829 amongst a small 1920/21 cluster of Paragraphs launching the Marconi Pattern 'W.T. Sets, motor pack'. Priced at £ l.3s.Od. In the 1940 Vocabulary, this pocket watch seems unlikely to have been of quality and its antimagnetic feature may have lain solely in a plated iron case. It was declared obsolescent during 1926 or 1927 by Paragraph A232l. The reasons for its reintroduction for "...all W.T. and Wireless complete stations..." by Paragraph A8531 (during March 1934), therefore, are as obscure as the watch's make-up, but just may have been economic. At all events, it was still in the List at 1954, and only deleted by a 1957 amendment of the Vocabulary.
    Last edited by dave; 06-09-2017 at 05:59.