Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: International Watchman Inc, NATO G10

Default International Watchman Inc, NATO G10

I normally keep a low profile on forums but thought everybody should be aware of this.

Just for your information please do not call NATO G10 straps by this nomenclature!

Just had all my listings pulled and the reason given:-

Thank you for your recent listing on eBay.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, International Watchman, Inc., notified eBay that this listing breaches intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of breach, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

Your listing was reported for using a logo that infringes on the rights owner's trademark

NATO and NATO G10 are licensed, registered trademarks of International Watchman, Inc...All rights are reserved...Any unauthorized use of said trademarks, is deemed an infringement...Style, like, for, or fits, does NOT negate the proprietary rights, governed by law...Counterfeit, and or any imitated goods bearing the trademark names, will also be considered a violation of trademark infringement...
    Registered trademarks cannot be used to sell any like products in title or description of unlicensed products.....You are in direct violation of our said trademark rights, governed by the USPTO…….
    You need to remove United States from worldwide shipping...You are in violation as long as eBay customers can purchase
    through U.S. auctions...

Questions about the specific violation should be addressed to International Watchman, Inc.

You can send an email to: iwinato@gmail.com

So if you want to express your comments to this company in registering these names as Trademarks, the terminolgy which our company has used for at least 40+ years in supply MOD and customers all over the world please feel free to do so.
    I suppose I now have to think of a new way of naming our products! Any ideas?????

Call them the G-10 NaTO.

Fuck International Watchman.

Default Hmmmm

Geet En?

Just been to eBay, did a search, an awful lot of items listed by different sellers as NATO G10.....

Default Possible alternative name.

I have an alternative name which could be used by the forum i.e. MoD straps. The reason being that the UK were and still are the only country in the NATO alliance to issue watches with that type of strap, and to an MoD specification as well. I think that the name, MoD Straps, could be more appropriate to these straps from now on than the previous names ever were. What do you think of that idea. Just a thought.

From

Sean.
    Dublin.

I'm pretty sure a Trademark of the acronym NATO is pretty unenforcible. I would suggest you forward that letter/email to NATO

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/contact.htm

You could even inform them that apparently some American has trademarked their name via Twitter (@NATO surprise surprise).
    Last edited by martin; 09-30-2012 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I'm pretty sure a Trademark of the acronym NATO is pretty unenforcible. I would suggest you forward that letter/email to NATO

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/contact.htm

You could even inform them that apparently some American has trademarked their name via Twitter (@NATO surprise surprise).
    It is enforceable.

The word "NATO" can be trademarked in the specific area of watches, watch straps and other associated accessories. Some clothing line trademarked the word "1st Inf" and the Big Red One patch design, and it holds.

The big thing is they are good as long as they don't try and stop the North Atlantic Treaty Organization from using it....

You could refer to them an Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord (or OTAN) strap....

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    It is enforceable.

The word "NATO" can be trademarked in the specific area of watches, watch straps and other associated accessories. Some clothing line trademarked the word "1st Inf" and the Big Red One patch design, and it holds.

The big thing is they are good as long as they don't try and stop the North Atlantic Treaty Organization from using it....

You could refer to them an Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord (or OTAN) strap....
    Have you seen the USPTO info?

Word Mark

NATO

Goods and Services

IC 013. US 002 009. G & S: Firearms; ammunition; explosives;

guns; rifles; air rifles; bb guns; pellet guns; assault rifles;

revolvers; hunting rifles; shotguns; magazines for weapons; gun, rifle,

shotgun and machine gun cartridges; Loading clips for small arms; hand

guns; bullets; fireworks; gun cases; gun barrels; rifle barrels; bipods

for weapons; muskets; holsters

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toy archery sets; Toy

military play set; Toy guns; Toy knives; Toy grenades; Toy Figurines;

Archery arrows; Archery bow bags; Archery bow cases; Archery bows;

Archery equipment, namely, non-telescopic bow sights; Archery quivers;

Archery sets; Crossbows; Fencing equipment, namely, foils, gauntlets,

masks, pistes, weapons; Sabres; targets; Firearm targets; Archery

targets; Electronic targets for games and sports; Animal hunting decoys;

Camouflage screens for hunting purposes; Electronic hunting game calls;

Field blinds used in hunting; Hunting blinds; Hunting arrow points;

Hunting bows; Hunting game calls; Lures for hunting or fishing;

Camouflage netting used in hunting; Fishing buoys; Fishing bait holder;

Fishing floats; Fishing hooks; Fishing lures; Fishing poles; Fishing

reels; Fishing rods; Fishing sinkers; Fishing tackle; Fishing tackle

boxes; Fishing tackle bags; Flies for use in fishing; Lines for fishing;

Spears for use in fishing; Sportsman's fishing bags; Paintball guns;

Paintballs; Scuba fins; Scuba equipment, namely, spring activated

spearguns; Scuba equipment, namely, spearfishing harpoon guns; Scuba

flippers; Athletic equipment, namely, mouth guards, striking bags,

striking shields, hand wraps; Athletic equipment, namely, training

devices to be worn on the body for support; Athletic sporting goods,

namely, athletic wrist and joint supports; Athletic sporting goods,

namely, under-eye grease for reducing glare; Athletic sporting goods,

namely, adhesive, under-eye glare reduction strips; Athletic tape; Hand

pads for athletic use; Elbow guards for athletic use; Elbow pads for

athletic use; Knee pads for athletic use; Protective athletic cups; Shin

pads for athletic use; Shoulder pads for athletic use; Wrist guards for

athletic use. Manually-operated exercise equipment for physical fitness

purposes; Sports equipment for boxing and martial arts, namely, boxing

gloves, boxing bags, punching mitts, belly protectors, groin protectors

and shin guards

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code

(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number

Filing Date

September 25, 2012

Current Basis

1B

Original Filing Basis

1B

Owner

(APPLICANT) International Watchman, Inc. CORPORATION OHIO 4301

Manhattan Ave. Brunswick OHIO 44212

Attorney of Record

John D. Gugliotta

Type of Mark

TRADEMARK

Register

PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator

LIVE

Well, they have covered themselves....

Except by that, not watches or watch accessories!

Default You might want to think twice about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_T View Post
    Call them the G-10 NaTO.

Fuck International Watchman.
    http://www.medinasheriff.com/SORN/RONALD%20SABO.htm

^^^^????

have you seen what they sell?? absolute chinese shit probably made by some poor children in asia..

i myself am selling nato and other straps on ebay. i am just about to put up some auctions today so lets see how it works out.. i am located in the EU so lets see what happens..
    Sinn 103A

Post Strap, Wrist Watch (Nylon)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixstraps View Post
    I normally keep a low profile on forums but thought everybody should be aware of this.

Just for your information please do not call NATO G10 straps by this nomenclature!

Just had all my listings pulled.....

Sorry to hear that Mike; I would guess that the United States makes up a high proportion of your online sales.

Default Trademark

"WITHOUT PREJUDICE"
    I cannot understand how this company have aquired this IP.The phrase Nato and Nato G10 are descriptive titles.The phrase is used as a prefix to stock numbers which have ,in various forms,existed for around 50 years.If I understand correctly the Trademark was registered in 2012 I know for a fact that individuals have sold straps and watches using the Nato and Nato G10 title for many years before the 2012 date.It could be argued that if someone else can prove the trademark or title has been in regular use by them before the registration date they could claim the right to use the said title.
    It would be an interesting exercise if the stock number was on a genuine original Nato strap how could this be removed by eBay.
    Hope you can sort it out!!!

Default Other trademarked terms

Several years ago someone trademarked the term "shabby chic" which was a descriptive that many used for years previous. The same thing happened to anyone who used it in their descriptions as is happening in this case.

If I'm not mistaken this was successfully challenged. Perhaps this "trademark" can also be challenged.

ps. I second the ????? of Simonk, is there some connection between this company and the person linked to?

pps. Here is a link that goes to the persons website involved in the "shabby chic" incident. I don't know if they are still active or involved with anything along these lines but I do know that they advised people on similar cases in the past. Perhaps they can shed some light on what worked best for them.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/ShabbyChic/sc.html

ppps. OK one last edit. Here is another page of tabberone that could prove helpful:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/site_index.shtml
    Last edited by JBan; 10-01-2012 at 14:45.

Default That is International Watchman....

a real piece of work.

He has hired a Lawyer that specializes in trademarking names and then bringing claims against others that use the name. I did the research.

The only solution, really, is to make a claim against the trademark by showing (in court) that 1. the term is a generic term, and 2. it was in widespread use BEFORE he trademarked it. For example, the name 'water' cannot be trademarked.

IW Owns the name G-10 NATO, no question about it.

Default He's not going to sue anybody...

He has hired a Lawyer that specializes in trademarking names and then bringing claims against others that use the name. I did the research.

The only solution, really, is to make a claim against the trademark by showing (in court) that 1. the term is a generic term, and 2. it was in widespread use BEFORE he trademarked it. For example, the name 'water' cannot be trademarked.

IW Owns the name G-10 NATO, no question about it.
    because that would cost money. The suit would also have to be filed where you live, not where he lives. If you are outside of the US, then it would be filed where he lives.
    All he's going to do is hire a kid to sit at a computer and report violators to ebay. Ebay takes the listing off and sends a warning to the seller that makes him think the police are coming for him and he may never be able to sell on ebay again. That cost him nothing except the kids paycheck.

Default Too bad that the hobby has come to this especially considering that >

IW items are far from high quality and service after the sale is non-existent when a repair is needed.

Just my experience over the last 10-15 years.
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful..........

American copyright law and patent law are long overdue for reform.

I didn't know about the 'shabby chic' stuff, but I remember a fella a few years ago successfully registering as his property the 'Route 66' sign. I would have thought that this design was paid for by the US department responsible for highways, but now it belongs to some chancer.

And of course there is the more pertinent example of the word or words 'broad arrow', long used to designate British crown property - the symbol comes from the 'pheon' on the arms of the Sydney family - Henry Sydney was Master General of the Ordnance at the end of the 17th century and used his own crest to designate crown and government property.

Eddie Platts of Timefactors registered Broadarrow as a brand to use on military inspired watches, but Omega decided that it would cause confusion for customers of the Speedmaster Broad Arrow. To any normal person, watch buff or not, this would appear daft in the extreme, but what chance does a one-man band from Sheffield have in front of a New York court against a Swatch Group legal team.

Agree. I highly doubt that one can register a trademark "NATO", as a trademark needs to have distinctive character. Applying or filing for a trademark registration or having a trademark registered means nothing at all, as one can always file an opposition against a registered trademark, especially if the trademark obviously doesn't have distinctive character or the opponent claims to have prior rights. I would ask an Attorney specialized on intellectual property rights in your country (unfortunately I'm not in the UK) and defend myself.