Thread: Probably the coolest music video I've ever seen

Default Probably the coolest music video I've ever seen

interesting.....one of the girls in my fencing club is a 2nd Dan in this. Always wondered why she charged in like a bull elephant, now i know why. Great song. Not sure about the martial art. Give me a rapier or a sabre any day of the week.

Default It's just a great piece of film

I know that I don't want some guy after me with one of those Kendo sticks.

I took a semester of fencing in college. The instructor was an asshole and kept slapping the inside of my thighs with the sword, apparently to get my attention. We wore short gym shorts in those days and my legs would be red and hurting. One day I selected a foil with the tip broken and simply wrapped with a piece of adhesive tape. When he came around to slap the shit out of me, I got him just under the mask, squarely in the throat. He was bleeding, it was great.

I never finished the class. I admired the grace and form as well as the physical aspects of fencing, but I was better at football.

Their is a quite beautiful on Kendo by Yukio Mishima. I must read it again.

There is a quite beautiful ESSAY on Kendo by Yukio Mishima...etc.

Hi Dave, Your old fencing coach sounds like a real asshole. Well done on the improvisation, surprised you showed so much restaint. One of my coaches was an hungarian ex world champion in Epee. A solid guy, literally, had one of the biggest beer bellies going. Couldn't picture him chasing me around the piste slapping me, other than with the point hitting my chest.

I did a little fencing when I was a young fella. My Dad and I used to manage around a half mile a day of strainer posts, star pickets, double strand barbed wire and ringlock.

Default I'm a chain link guy myself

Some experience with concertina w/no posts.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    Hi Dave, Your old fencing coach sounds like a real asshole. Well done on the improvisation, surprised you showed so much restaint. One of my coaches was an hungarian ex world champion in Epee. A solid guy, literally, had one of the biggest beer bellies going. Couldn't picture him chasing me around the piste slapping me, other than with the point hitting my chest.
    No fencing instructor worth his salt would allow his students to show up in shorts, especially in epée. Dave's coach got what he evidently deserved.

My old master was a gold medalist for Hungary in Sabre in the '56 Games in Melbourne. I finally had to give up fencing when I got a pacemaker last year at age 74. If I get whacked in that area, it could break the leads.

Evidently in kendo, point attacks aren't allowed, because those openings are obvious. Until they prohibited crossing of steps a few years ago, most Sabre matches involved a lot of running, and one way to defend against headlong rushes like that was to put out a line first (i.e., extend your arm with the weapon straight) and let the charger run on your blade.

Great sport, although the electrics messed up the clean attack/riposte action of sabre.