Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian Navy Tudor - No Serial Number?

Here are pics of my Tudor. The previous owner was a Canadian military based in Germany in the 70's or 60's. He told me the divers were given each a watch and that some inscribed their registration number on the back case. He salvaged three that were being discarded for being "unrepairable" and two had inscribed numbers on the case back.

Default I had my...

first two initials, lasr name, service# & sin# engraved into the back of my
    1969 ref. 1680 Submariner & my 1991 Exporer II. Seemed like a smart thing to do, as I had no intention of trading or selling them.

Drew
    Canadian Forces Reg. 1983-86
    Canadian Forces Res. 1990-93

Default PilotsWatch, have you opened the caseback?

If that is the Serial Number, I'm guessing that I have its cousin.

Best Regards,
    Alan

Alan, your right it is the serial number. Lets see the cousin.

Default Sorry for the crappy pics...

The pictures of the movement and caseback were taken years ago, during a servicing. Serial number 569150 and VI 66 stamped caseback.

Best Regards,
    Alan

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cool Close family member. Your dial seems to be in a very good condition. If possible, can you post a close up of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    The issued Canadian Tudor submariners were not property marked. I've had 2 of these over the years and still retain one with the partially erased owner's rank & name engraved into the back (PO Cumberland)..(case serial number is found between the lugs)..

I've been in touch with Rolex Canada (Toronto) and spoken with the head person there about these and he confirmed for me that these were unmarked, the case serial number being the thing that was likely recorded, a practice not unlike issued Vietnam era and just post war US UDT/Navy Seal Tudor submariners.

Rolex recalls at least 3-4 orders of these being placed from the late 1970s-1990's..

Cheers,

Konrad

Hi Konrad,

At risk of Zombie-ing a thread I was wondering if you had any more info on the PO Cumberland piece you used to own. I was wondering more about the provenance of the watch, if you have any other info you can share.

Cheers,

Chris

Just be glad that the FDU didn't do any repairs on it. They butchered a lot of Tudors back in the day, the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlius View Post
    Hi Konrad,

At risk of Zombie-ing a thread I was wondering if you had any more info on the PO Cumberland piece you used to own. I was wondering more about the provenance of the watch, if you have any other info you can share.

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Chris,

The previous owner likely passed along everything I knew at the time I sold the watch. My understanding was that Cumberland was a ships diver.

Unfortunately my source couldn't tell me any more about the watch other than what JB must have passed along to you.

I bought the Tudor as a stand alone 79090 example and not as a confirmed mil-watch and didn't pay any kind of a RCN "premium. I didn't sell the watch with any "mil watch" premium" either.

I had no reason to doubt my source and at that period in time I was more interested in owning a 79090..

Cheers,

Konrad
    Last edited by lambstew; 02-20-2016 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Hi Chris,

The previous owner likely passed along everything I knew at the time I sold the watch. My understanding was that Cumberland was a ships diver.

Unfortunately my source couldn't tell me any more about the watch other than what JB must have passed along to you.

I bought the Tudor as a stand alone 79090 example and not as a confirmed mil-watch and didn't pay any kind of a RCN "premium. I didn't sell the watch with any "mil watch" premium" either.

I had no reason to doubt my source and at that period in time I was more interested in owning a 79090..

Cheers,

Konrad
    Hey Konrad,

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Chris

Very old thread, but I have been searching for the same information.

I have a Tudor Submariner I purchased from the Rolex agent in Cape Town in 1984. It, too, does not have any serial numbers. It has been serviced regularly by Rolex agents in Australia, when I live. It is a genuine Tudor Submariner. There is no doubt about that. But no serial numbers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

A few hours later!

There IS a serial number. Very faint. Tucked in among the scratches from the metal band. It is very tricky to read unless one turns the watch to catch light across the lugs.

My apologies to all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
    I have a Tudor 94010 and I was told by the seller in Calgary that it was an ex Canadian army watch. The watch was sold to me by a private seller. The price I paid was not loaded as military watches generaly are, and it has never had a bracelet on it. The serial number is engraved on the back in full.
    If these watches were obtained from Tudor we should be able to identify the batches, My watch is Ser No:1073XX, do any other members have a similar serial number on a reputed canadian milsub. Or did the seller tell me what I wanted to hear

Thanks,
    Marcus
    I know this is reviving a very old thread but can you email me please marcus. I have some information about these 107xxx numbered watches and may have a line on actual navy documentation.